Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
I guess I just need to vent a little

As some of you know, I have a side hobby/business of building electric guitars. It's fun, and I enjoy it, but I am such a perfectionist if the gaps aren't just perfect I toss the whole thing.
So I wanted to get a CNC machine to help me out with this. Granted, I know NOTHING about CNC's. But a small investment should turn into a reasonable return.
So I bought one used from a guy, I told him I would like to have it to where I buy it, can get it set up, and have it run a few programs he provides so I can get the hang of it a little. He tells me no problem.
He ships it, I get it, he packed it very well, I load it and take off. He tells me to call him when I get it all setup to get me through a few things, he e-mails me some files, etc.....so far so good.
It takes me 2 months to get it all set up, yes, that is a long time, was it also a crazy 2 months? Yes. In the meantime the shipping company sticks him with another 300$ for some crap, that was not his fault, and frankly did not happen. I said I would help in whatever way I could, and even sign affit davits.
When I finally get it set up, I run a program that I bought from someone else, well, the machine and the computer are not sycned as to where the table is, or indexed. The machine keeps trying to go outside it's physical area, and makes a ton of noise. I tell him about this, and he tells me you need to zero the axis and here are a ton of tutorials. I finally get him to tell me how to zero it out, but it still isn't indexed, which is the true probelm.
His answers are very short, and it appears he has a disinterest in helping me get this set up. I am thinking he is frustrated about the shipping charges and taking it out on me. Since I can't get any help, I decide to say f it and sell it. I have thousands into this thing, and I can't get the proper help to get it set up and to run the files to get familiar with it, as I was told would happen.
I just tell him, you know what, I don't have time for this I'll just get rid of it, because I just didn't want bad blood. My brother weeks later reads the exchange and says it's clear he isnt holding up his end, yadda yadda you should tell him something.
So I did, basically it turned into I gave up, I didn't ask for help (when I clearly did and got some very short, and non-helpful answers) and I am taking it out on him because I don't know how to run the machine. That I just want someone to hold my hand and tell me everything to do (while in the same breath accusing me of getting it all set up and running programs that he didn't write) Pretty much, I'm the one at fault in his eyes.
I'm really not one to give up on things at all, I would have never gotten to building guitars, much less a college degree, or working on cars if I just gave up, but I considered it a lost cause and cut my losses.
So what do you think? Am I at fault for not pressing him for more help? Or did I truly not get what I paid for, a machine that was supposed to be set up to run his programs (some of which he never gave me). My thinking was you said you would help me do this, but never expected me to have to index it to properly be able to run your files as well?
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
if it was me.....i would contact the company who makes the machine.....send them a very nicly composed letter telling them that you purchaced it second hand and that the seller is now not being very helpful on getting it all set up and indexed so that you can use it. and ask them for help on getting it set up properly.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
This^^^^^^
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
if it was me.....i would contact the company who makes the machine.....send them a very nicly composed letter telling them that you purchaced it second hand and that the seller is now not being very helpful on getting it all set up and indexed so that you can use it. and ask them for help on getting it set up properly.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
jimmy5

It's not that simple. They just manufacture the CNC machines, they dont make the software that runs the code, the software has to be set up to realize the limits of the table. And that software is complex.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Ok, then research who makes the software and reach out to them. Someone else on this planet can help you. The asshat that sold you the machine isnt the only one.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
jimmy5

Yeah, I just dont get where he gets off blaming me for it all. He didn't send all the stuff, nor did he get me to the point of where I wanted to be.
Thankfully I found a buyer interested in paying what I paid for it, so I am not at a total loss.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Did you every discuss your thoughts with him before coming to your conclusion? Maybe he had other pressing matters to attend to, and he was trying to be polite when time was not convenient to him?

You could be perceived as to sensitive and not focused on a partnership.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
jimmy5

Well, if time were an issue, he certainly never spoke up in the months since I've had the machine, nor did he offer much in way of answers over the 3 days of me asking for help.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
jimmy, the machine and the software go hand in hand.....if the software is compatible with the machine you have, either or both companies should/will help you out. about now, it sounds like you just want to dump the whole thing on some one else....hope you disclose to them that it doesn't work properly as it sits.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
jimmy5

I am not dumping anything on anyone. The person buying it is well versed in CNC machines and the software. When I sell something I don't lie.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
sounds like you didn't know what you were getting into..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
jimmy5

Absolutely I didn't. And I admitted that from the start and was told I would be put in a different position than I was ultimately put in.
I did however learn a lot of modeling in different cam programs, to prepare for writing my own. That was a neat experience.
Getting messed over, not so much.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
That sucks op. hopefully it gets better

On a side note, I would love to see your work. Do you have a site I can see it at ?