Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
So, who's got an aftermarket clutch?

So I installed an ACT clutch just over 4k miles ago, and now I may need a new clutch yet again.

Saturday morning I went and washed my car before meeting up with Matt on the way to BBK. While pulling out of the stall, my clutch pedal was pulled towards the floor about 1/3 of the way down.

I pulled it up and all seemed well, unfortunately, as it was backing onto the dyno at BBK, it took a crap. Bryan wasn't able to get it to engage/disengage in order to run it on the dyno. It was pushed off the dyno and sat for about 30 minutes. Afterwards, it was as if nothing happened. I drove it home and parked it until today.

I went to my local shop to get their input, where they installed it in June, and it looks like the Slave crapped out and possibly took my brand new clutch with it.

So, needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. I took it to my dealership to see if I would get lucky and they would replace the slave for me under warranty, and they are having to go through GM due to my mods. It isn't looking good, but I'm still hopeful since this is a known issue with the transmission.

Anyway, the reason for this thread is to find out what clutches people local are running with their mods. I'm looking for a clutch that has a light (similar to factory) pedal feel, but can hold over 750ft torque.

I liked my ACT and may try to see if they can check it out or fix it, but I'm weighing my options and want opinions and options.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Bummer to here your having clutch issues already Rick. I've been running Centerforce's twin disc for 2 years and 42k on the clutch with no issues, over 60 dyno pulls and 30 track days. Pedal effort is real nice to, not to stiff. Centerforce says its 3 lbs less pedal effort, I would say its about the same as stock but with greatly improved feel.
Is your slave leaking? One thing I have done is flush my complete hydralic system every year, I know the slave is the weak spot so I try to keep fresh fluid in it since its shared with the brakes and mine see above average temps with my brake system on track days.
If its not leaking try flushing the entire system with a power bleeder to vacuum out all the old fluid with out it running dry.
Let me know if you have any questions, you know how to get ahold of me.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
I upgraded to a twin disc exedy, and have also had a twin disc spec clutch in too. I've been making 800whp with no issues. The twin disc engages a lot faster than our stock clutch, but the Spec clutch has a stock feel to it, and have not had issues with it. Have you tried calling Centerforce? If your taking the time to call GM, might as well call ACT and see what they have to say. I believe they are located in SoCal right?

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Install one of these.... Took care of all my problems!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348191911.193629.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  91.5 KB

I also have lingenfelters ZR1 clutch installed, best overall stock feeling clutch that I've found.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
Bummer to here your having clutch issues already Rick. I've been running Centerforce's twin disc for 2 years and 42k on the clutch with no issues, over 60 dyno pulls and 30 track days. Pedal effort is real nice to, not to stiff. Centerforce says its 3 lbs less pedal effort, I would say its about the same as stock but with greatly improved feel.
Is your slave leaking? One thing I have done is flush my complete hydralic system every year, I know the slave is the weak spot so I try to keep fresh fluid in it since its shared with the brakes and mine see above average temps with my brake system on track days.
If its not leaking try flushing the entire system with a power bleeder to vacuum out all the old fluid with out it running dry.
Let me know if you have any questions, you know how to get ahold of me.
I flushed everything out when the clutch went in, installed the separate clutch res and it still crapped out. I took it to CMS and they flushed it again and it is leaking. :(. I got word from the dealership GM won't touch it so it's being towed to a buddy's shop to get pulled apart and Ideals slave is getting ordered and installed.

What fluid are you running?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
I upgraded to a twin disc exedy, and have also had a twin disc spec clutch in too. I've been making 800whp with no issues. The twin disc engages a lot faster than our stock clutch, but the Spec clutch has a stock feel to it, and have not had issues with it. Have you tried calling Centerforce? If your taking the time to call GM, might as well call ACT and see what they have to say. I believe they are located in SoCal right?
I'm pretty sure they are in the Lancaster area. I'll give them a call. Which clutch feels better the Greedy or Spec?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
I like the exedy clutch because it grabs much faster, but Spec is nicer for city driving.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Mike @ CMS

Drives: small
I would stay away from Spec. I have seen to many issues over the years with the spec clutches. The two clutches I recommend are the ZR1 clutch or the McLeod RXT.
Mike @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
The same thing happened to me. The slave was destroyed!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
I highly recommend my Mantic ER2. It has a high graphite grooved pressure plate that dissipates heat and assists with gripping torque and a dual sided clutch plate with organic material on one side and metallic on the other. It can handle much higher torque than most other single plate systems. Check out Mantic.com.au

simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I did some reading after your failure happened because i was curious. I found out that some dot4 or full synthetic fluid could damage rubber seals. You might want to try going back to a dot3 just for your clutch or find a dot4 for that is compatible with rubber.
Did Ryne pull out your clutch?

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #12
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LS3 View Post
The same thing happened to me. The slave was destroyed!
Did you reinstall another factory part or did you find a more stout one somewhere?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #13
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
I did some reading after your failure happened because i was curious. I found out that some dot4 or full synthetic fluid could damage rubber seals. You might want to try going back to a dot3 just for your clutch or find a dot4 for that is compatible with rubber.
Did Ryne pull out your clutch?
I had them install Amsoil in the transmission and rear end while the car was there, but I'm not sure what was put in the separate res when it went in. I should have asked. Maybe Mike can chime in there.

I took the car to a buddy's shop to have it checked out. CMS is fairly busy with other projects, and my buddy's giving me a hell if a break on labor. He's done all the general automotive stuff for me for the last 11 years. Plus, he will warranty the work.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
2010SSRSM6

Got the car back today after the shop installed a Ram slave and throw-out bearing. They also adjusted the clutch to get the "chatter" issue resolved.

The Ram parts are pricey, $500 for the slave and bearing, but if you are upgrading your clutch down the road, I strongly recommend you look into picking one up, its much cheaper doing it right the first time.

The clutch is A LOT firmer now, and OMFG this car flat moves! Today was the first time I've been able to "test" it out, and WOW! What a difference a Maggie makes!

With the clutch issues behind me, I can finally appreciate all this car has to offer. I can't thank Jessika (Supercharger Connection) enough for keeping me in mind when she got the deal on the Maggie! If you are on the fence, jump off and get one!!!!!!!

Also, ACT was awesome during this entire ordeal. They turned the shop onto the Ram Clutch parts. Who would send someone to the competition to get what they need? That impressed the hell out of me.

The clutch grabs and holds on to 625rwhp/615rwtq and laughs about it. The pedal is firm, and I beat the piss out of it today with zero grinding or chatter.