Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Matt21

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Certified PREOWNED SS QUESTION!!!

I went to a Chevy dealership in Ohio and received two free oil changes and free tire rotations. With the Cerified Preowned, you get free maintenance the first 3 years.

Well, I took my SS to a dealership in Southern Maryland now and they denied me a free oil change and tires rotation. Reasons were because I wasnt below the 20% level??? I have 3500miles on this oil now. I had my oil changed at 2800 miles and 3000 miles at the dealership in Ohio.

If this doesnt change i'm gonna start changing my own oil.

Anyone else have this problem? and how often do you change your oil?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
scottmichael

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT
I had a similar problem with a dealership that refused to honor my certified preowned maintenance plan. I had to call the GM hotline and file a complaint with the dealer. In the end, the GM hotline convinced the dealer to refund my money and the dealer called me to apologize.

As far as the denying it because of the level not being below 20%, I have not heard that being a stipulation. The way it was explained to me was that the maintenance plan covers oil changes etc every 6,000 miles.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need more info.
scottmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
why would you change it above 20%?

why do people still believe in the whole 3,000 oil change crap, it was never anything more than a marketing campaign to get you to spend more money more often..

your car is perfectly safe following the oil life monitor and the recommended change intervals in the owners manual, you aren't doing anything but wasting money if you are following the 3,000 B.S.

just changed the oil on my Wife's Camry Hybrid this morning, been 11 months and 7968 miles and the oil life light finally came on, and oh look the oil is still carmel colored..
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have heard of people waiting until Onstar tells you to change your oil. Yeah thats right. They send you an e-mail based off the diagnostic that it runs on your car from space. I don't care what any manual says or some GM Rep tell's me. I drive my car, there fore I change mine every 3,500 miles. Even if I did wait to change it, I sure as hell am not going to let some dumb ass computer tell me when I should do it. I'm a car guy, thats not how it works. I keep track of my mileage and know when. I guess its a man thing. They don't make em like they used to.
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
My dealer wont cover it until I am under 16%. Last time I went in I was at 17% but after a bit of discussion they decided it was in thier best interest to change it.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
You may want to read the plan that you bought. Most of them stipulate mileage for the oil change and not a percent. If yours states mileage, the dealer need to honor that. All three of my cars have a 5k mile oil change plan.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I change mine every 5k. A that mark my DIC says i have about 50% or less i think. Just dont want to push my luck.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by naSSty1 View Post
I have heard of people waiting until Onstar tells you to change your oil. Yeah thats right. They send you an e-mail based off the diagnostic that it runs on your car from space. I don't care what any manual says or some GM Rep tell's me. I drive my car, there fore I change mine every 3,500 miles. Even if I did wait to change it, I sure as hell am not going to let some dumb ass computer tell me when I should do it. I'm a car guy, thats not how it works. I keep track of my mileage and know when. I guess its a man thing. They don't make em like they used to.

it's not a car guy thing, it is not a man thing..

you just drink from the kool-aid that is supplied by and for the sheepeople of the world..

I'm a car guy and a man and was a ASE tech for near 20 years.. 3,000 miles is all a marketing scheme to get you to spend money, and the computer knows what's up, it wasn't designed by a 4 year old, the algorithms and programming used is very sophisticated and has taken years of design and development to be as accurate as is required for these cars.

but hey it's your money.. if you feel the need to waste it who am I to stop you..
Old 09-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
why would you change it above 20%?

why do people still believe in the whole 3,000 oil change crap, it was never anything more than a marketing campaign to get you to spend more money more often..

your car is perfectly safe following the oil life monitor and the recommended change intervals in the owners manual, you aren't doing anything but wasting money if you are following the 3,000 B.S.

just changed the oil on my Wife's Camry Hybrid this morning, been 11 months and 7968 miles and the oil life light finally came on, and oh look the oil is still carmel colored..
I could not agree with you more, but when I had my oil changed by my dealer the last time (I paid since I have no free deals) and still the dealership put that damned sticker telling me to come back in 3 months or 3,000 miles.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
I could not agree with you more, but when I had my oil changed by my dealer the last time (I paid since I have no free deals) and still the dealership put that damned sticker telling me to come back in 3 months or 3,000 miles.
yup I know, and they do the same crap for my wife's hybrid, which is amusing to me because in 3,000 miles less than 50% of that is actual gas engine miles, my wife doesn't drive freeways, drives under 40mph most of the time, and goes 6 weeks or about 900 miles between gas fill ups..

So I just started changing the oil on the cars myself. faster, usually cheaper, and I don't have to listen to the "recommended" dealer service speeches or peel stickers off my windows.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
When u pay, they put "come back every 3000 miles". When they are paying, it's don't call us, wait for the car to tell u when.

If they didn't have rules, then "real men" would want a free oil change every couple of miles. Wake up, it's just not necessary with newer engines and newer oils.

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
When u pay, they put "come back every 3000 miles". When they are paying, it's don't call us, wait for the car to tell u when.

If they didn't have rules, then "real men" would want a free oil change every couple of miles.
Under the "free oil change" deal, the dealer isn't going to change the oil whenever YOU want it changed. They are going to go by the whatever the manufacturer recommends.

So this dealer is perfectly within it's rights to refuse to change your oil with 20% usage showing.

And like someone above me said, tire rotations are not possible with SS Camaros because of the different in tire sizes between front and rear.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Plus with the certified pre-owned plan you only get XX number of free maintenance visits per year....re-read. If someone drives 50K miles a year they aren't going to change your oil every time it needs it.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Altma

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT Synergy Green
Per the Camaro Manual:
9-13:

It is possible that, if
driving under the best conditions,
the oil life system might not indicate
that an oil change is necessary for
over a year. However, the engine oil
and filter must be changed at least
once a year and at this time the
system must be reset.

So it's possible you can go probably 10k between changes -- I've been averaging around 6-7k on mine. When they change it, it's still nice and caramel colored. Not all nasty.