Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
When is a car considered "rare"?

Hey all, opinions aside, is there any sort of legal definition that could be used to classify a car as being "rare"? I know that for a car to be considered a classic (it depends by state) it has to be a certain number of years old. Is there anything similar to this (maybe production numbers?) that could be used to officially label a car "rare"?

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
when there aren't 300K of the same/similar model floating about being driven by idiots that spend too much time and money @ pep-boys for stick on b.s.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
When an Average Joe and Millionaire Joe can't buy the same car, either due to price or availability. A supercar will be released on a limited production run and all models are spoken for before they even begin building (Ferrari Enzo).

Hell, remember when gas prices went crazy a few years ago and you couldn't even buy a Prius? It was like that in Phoenix.
DesertCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Well, the reason I bring it up is due to a discussion between friends in which I have unfortunately become involved. It's regards the Buick Regal, mid to late 80's specifically. One friend claims the Grand National is a rare car, while the other disagrees. I will agree that the GNX version was "rare" with only 537 (or 547? Can't remember) produced, however I didn't feel the regular Grand National was rare, with close to 30,000 produced. I mean I can find several relatively close to me for under 20k Of course this is all opinion based, but I wanted to know how C5 felt.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
yeah the GNX is rare, the GN isn't but it is still a collector car..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
yeah the GNX is rare, the GN isn't but it is still a collector car..
Agree 100%. Those were my words exactly. I can understand collector status, but I didn't feel the GN is "rare". And my friend kept insisting it was even after I showed him how easily and relatively cheaply I found several for sale.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
Agree 100%. Those were my words exactly. I can understand collector status, but I didn't feel the GN is "rare". And my friend kept insisting it was even after I showed him how easily and relatively cheaply I found several for sale.
This is a pretty good argument. I am not aware of any defining number that makes a car rare (like the "classic" status, used by State licensing agencies)
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
It all depends on how many are still around as much or more than how many were originally made. Those boxy mid 80's Cavaliers are rare now.... they made millions, but how often do you see one today? And to build on that, rare doesn't always mean desireable. Many a Grand National was beat into the ground, so how many of the 30,000 are still around 25 years later? I'm sure quite a few, but to find an original and unmodified one would indeed be rare. On the flipside, I bet MOST of the 500+/- GNX's are still accounted for and in pristine original condition. Just something else to think about.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
My car is extremely rare. My Camaro is the only Camaro in the world that is currently owned by me
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
My car is extremely rare. My Camaro is the only Camaro in the world that is currently owned by me
Tony I want your autograph
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Tony I want your autograph
A three + year old Camaro with less than 1k miles on it is very rare.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Rare means you can't afford it. If you can afford it..................it isn't rare.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #13
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
There has to be a better definition of rare, yes there are only 547 GNX produced and it is a highly sought after car but i also know that a 09 cobalt SS sedan only 472 were built and if you happen to come across a yellow one it is 1 of 15 made but its not highly sought after. So i think the Op means Rare and Sought after.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #14
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
There has to be a better definition of rare, yes there are only 547 GNX produced and it is a highly sought after car but i also know that a 09 cobalt SS sedan only 472 were built and if you happen to come across a yellow one it is 1 of 15 made but its not highly sought after. So i think the Op means Rare and Sought after.
Well, that's fair. While I don't think a yellow 09 cobalt sedan is really sought after lol, I do find such a small number to qualify as rare.

Others here made great points about things such as how many are still in existence. I also think another thing to consider is how readily available spare parts are. So I guess it's a combination of a lot of things. Its unfortunate that an official definition of "rare car" doesn't exist because I hear so many ignorantly claim their car is rare for this reason or that reason.

Another friend put it well when he said that "rare" just refers to crappy options that no one wanted when the car was around lol.