Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
whitedemon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
DIY Sequential Taillights for approx $20

I decided i wanted to add sequential tailights to my camaro but didnt want to spend 100 bucks for them. I figured it couldn't be to hard to do so I got with my dad, who is pretty good with electronics, and we built 2 timers. Went to the shack and bought 2 of the following; a 555 timer, circuit board, capacitor, few diodes and a varaiable resistor. I had the 2 relays laying in my tool box so no reason to buy them. I dont have the schematic we used with me now, ill try to upload later. We just built the little circuit with the components and soldered everything together. Then I painted the back of the board with liquid electric tape and let dry to prevent shorting out anything. I removed the back covers over the tailights. My timers have 3 wires, ground, input and output. So i tapped in the outer light bulb ground for the ground wire and then cut the blinker bulb wire which was the yellow for left side and green for right side and installed the input-output wires to the bulb harness, all with solder and heat shrink joints of course. Then i turned on the hazard lights and used a pocket screwdriver to adjust the variable resistor until the delay was right where I wanted it. I was very pleased with the outcome of the project and I saved 80 bucks also

EDIT: SEE POST #52 FOR THE UPDATE. MOSFET WILL NEED TO BE USED, NOT A RELAY.

Here is the youtube link for the video: http://youtu.be/UjLuU-1eC0E
Attached Images

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights

Last edited by whitedemon; 01-21-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: SEE POST # 52
whitedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
embedded the video for you OP Great write up

Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
whitedemon

Thanks!!
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Genius! And I like the speed you chose more than others I have seen. So cool!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
whitedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Genius! And I like the speed you chose more than others I have seen. So cool!
thanks yeah i like the option to be able to adjust the speed as desired. if i was to build another set i would use a transitor instead of a relay and i would stand all the compents up just to make the module assembly smaller. I will try to remember to post the schmatic i used and the component values later so others can make some
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedemon View Post
thanks yeah i like the option to be able to adjust the speed as desired. if i was to build another set i would use a transitor instead of a relay and i would stand all the compents up just to make the module assembly smaller. I will try to remember to post the schmatic i used and the component values later so others can make some
Nice, yeah, Im not afraid to solder and wire things up, but im not an expert when it comes to components.

Where in LA do you live?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
tag
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
tag

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
whitedemon

Quote:
Nice, yeah, Im not afraid to solder and wire things up, but im not an expert when it comes to components.

Where in LA do you live?
I understand and im not either thats why i called in my dad. I live in bogalusa, bout an hour north of new orleans
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
whitedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
tag
tag??
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedemon View Post
I understand and im not either thats why i called in my dad. I live in bogalusa, bout an hour north of new orleans
Haha, I was about to say the same thing. I would call my dad, he designs electrical systems for cranes. I lived in kenner/metairie/new orleans for a while but recently moved to the Folsom area.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Very cool!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
whitedemon

Quote:
Haha, I was about to say the same thing. I would call my dad, he designs electrical systems for cranes. I lived in kenner/metairie/new orleans for a while but recently moved to the Folsom area.
thats cool, ill prolly see you around some time. Im down in covington alot on the weekends
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Subscribed