Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #12 - CONTAGION
Stock RS or SS Wheels on a ZL1

I was thinking of getting a set of stock wheels from a 2010-2013 SS or RS with snow tires for my ZL1. Not planning on running it in the snow, but emergencies do happen. I am also not real comfortable with the idea of having her sitting on jack stands for that long .

Does anyone know if there are any issues with putting these wheels on a ZL1? I mean obviously there are performance issues, but I am asking if there are functional or clearance type issues that would prevent this from working as a backup.

Thanks in Advance, ZH
ZmbHord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
ZL1Bullet

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbHord View Post
I was thinking of getting a set of stock wheels from a 2010-2013 SS or RS with snow tires for my ZL1. Not planning on running it in the snow, but emergencies do happen. I am also not real comfortable with the idea of having her sitting on jack stands for that long .

Does anyone know if there are any issues with putting these wheels on a ZL1? I mean obviously there are performance issues, but I am asking if there are functional or clearance type issues that would prevent this from working as a backup.

Thanks in Advance, ZH
I don't have a confirmed answer for you however I just purchased a set of SS rims and tires with Pirelli P Zero tires on them from my dealer. I told them they are for my ZL1. I asked them to confirm that they would fit before I bought them. They confirmed - with a reassurance I could return them if they were wrong for some unknown reason - they would fit. Both sets are 20" rims. When I put them on I will confirm for you. However it might take me some time as I've injured my back and can't do anything at the moment.

The rims were in the parts centre as a 'scratch and dent' sale. The scratch is barely visible. $1500 for the set!
ZL1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

Thanks for the info Bullet. Not a bad price for a set. Please let me know when you get them on and run them. I will be interested to hear the results.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
PhoenixZL1
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
People have used LS "Heritage" steel wheels on SS's for winter driving so I'd imagine a similar deal with SS wheels on a ZL1 could be done.
PhoenixZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I bought a set of aftermarket wheels/tires for my 2011 2SS/Rs Vert from tirerack (American Hor Rod Torque Thrust) it stock sizes and kept them when I traded the 2011 for my 2013 ZL1 Vert.

When the cold weather came, I took the stock ZL1 wheels/tires off, put them in the basement and put the other set on the car for the winter.

They fit just fine with no clearance problems at all.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
So, are you guys putting 20"x10" on front and back and not 20"x11" on the back?
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Camaro X

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I recently put aftermarket 20x10's on all 4 corners with Nitto Motivo's . Went on a trip to Florida and I'm very happy with the combo. And this setup can be rotated.
2012 ZL1 #115 SIM M6
Camaro X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
I have SS wheels with all season tires in the regular SS size on on my ZL1 right now. I got a used set of wheels in very good condition off Craig's List for $400. I paid about $900 for the all season tires mounted and balanced. This setup bolted right on with no problems and works great in the winter. I made the swap in early November after my summer tires started to feel like hockey pucks.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Asanti

OK. Just the answers I hoped for. While I don't think I could come close to your pricing TIBS, I will start looking around. Super info about being able to rotate them Camaro X. Both of you have described what I want to do and I thank you for your help and info.

TIBS, where is Aston? I am born and raised in the steel city.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanti View Post
So, are you guys putting 20"x10" on front and back and not 20"x11" on the back?
I believe the Torque Thrust wheels I bought for the 2011 vert were 10" for the rear and 9" for the front on stock size P0's.

I put them on the ZL1 mainly for winter storage, but I've probably put 1000 miles on them with no problem whatsoever.

Come spring, the ZL1 wheels/tires go back on.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
I was thinking of getting these rims and putting a good winter tire on them, such as a Blizztech.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/20-OEM-Ca...hrome-20x8-SET

What do you guys think, should that work?
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

Excellent info guys, thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Asanti

Personally I would go with the 20x10's and not the 20x8's. Another question though, Tire Rack is providing the following caution:

Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.

NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors.

In some states, vehicle inspection regulations require operating TPMS on every vehicle that came with TPMS as Original Equipment. Check with local law enforcement officials to confirm restrictions in your area or check our latest listing here.

The Original Equipment sensors from your Original Equipment wheels may be compatible with the new wheels you selected. Please consult the "Important Notes" link found online for more information or call Tire Rack for assistance.

An inexpensive TPMS repair/rebuild kit is required when sensors are reused.

As an option you may purchase the sensors listed below. They are compatible with both your vehicle's TPMS and the wheel you have selected.

Has anyone run into this? They sell the kit for $276.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanti View Post
Personally I would go with the 20x10's and not the 20x8's. Another question though, Tire Rack is providing the following caution:

Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.

NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors.

In some states, vehicle inspection regulations require operating TPMS on every vehicle that came with TPMS as Original Equipment. Check with local law enforcement officials to confirm restrictions in your area or check our latest listing here.

The Original Equipment sensors from your Original Equipment wheels may be compatible with the new wheels you selected. Please consult the "Important Notes" link found online for more information or call Tire Rack for assistance.

An inexpensive TPMS repair/rebuild kit is required when sensors are reused.

As an option you may purchase the sensors listed below. They are compatible with both your vehicle's TPMS and the wheel you have selected.

Has anyone run into this? They sell the kit for $276.
I thought TPM was about $45/ tire at my dealer . . .
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote