Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
TPMS ISSUES

I put on 8k and replaced the rear tires. No TPMS issues when I replaced the tires. At 24k I replaced all four. Ever since then I have had the damn TPMS going off. I have brought it back to the tire shop several times. They reset the sensors several times, then took the tires off the wheels and checked all the sensors, then reset them a couple more times, then replaced them all. Still having issues with the TPMS going off.

Any ideas or someone that has had a similar issue?

Maybe my car doesn't like the sensors they put in?

Is there really a difference in sensors?

I don't want to take it to the dealer since I know they will just blame the tire shop and charge me for it.

Any advice or input would be appreciated!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I'm thinking they didn't calibrate something correctly somewhere or hit something on one of the TPMS because they communicate wirelessly on their own not synchronized so one not working would generally mess with the ECM?

Not sure just a thought though.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
Its to my knowledge that the TPMS sensors once reset they will need calibration by the Tech 2 scan tool by the dealer or someone who has access to that tool so the cars computer will recognize the sensors and to which wheels location their in, How did the place that changed your tires "reset" the sensors?
2011 SS SLP ZL427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 SS SLP ZL427 View Post
Its to my knowledge that the TPMS sensors once reset they will need calibration by the Tech 2 scan tool by the dealer or someone who has access to that tool so the cars computer will recognize the sensors and to which wheels location their in, How did the place that changed your tires "reset" the sensors?
They went into the car a put it to some kind of learn mode or something then walked around the car with a scan tool after the horn honked they went to the next tire until all four were done. I am pretty knowledgeable about cars but I don't have a clue how these sensors work.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDimond View Post
I'm thinking they didn't calibrate something correctly somewhere or hit something on one of the TPMS because they communicate wirelessly on their own not synchronized so one not working would generally mess with the ECM?

Not sure just a thought though.
I can only think they are doing something wrong I am not sure. They have reset it several times and replaced the sensors so I have no friggin clue.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Sounds like they damaged a sensor, then replaced them with the wrong ones. Did they use OEM sensors? From reading the threads here about sensor problems, seems most get fixed by using OEM sensors.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Sounds like they damaged a sensor, then replaced them with the wrong ones. Did they use OEM sensors? From reading the threads here about sensor problems, seems most get fixed by using OEM sensors.
I was thinking the same thing, figured they used some off brand and my car doesn't like them. But I know nothing about TPMS.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
The first question I would ask is if the replacement sensors are GM OEM. If not, demand them to replace the sensors they put in with OEM parts. You will have nothing but problems with anything other than the OEM sensors.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Also, use the factory valve caps, they actually have a high content of carbon and act as an antenna . A weak battery will also cause them to lose signal.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
Theres no reason why they should have replaced all the TPMS sensors for replacing your tires unless one or more of them was damaged during dismounting of the old tires or remounting of the new ones, However im wondering if they used OEM sesnors in the event they broke one or more, aftermarket ones some cars can be real funny about aftermarket parts, im some cases they just plain dont fit right or the computer wont recognize them and there for keep turning your tire light on, I would find out if they cant get this straightened out if they replaced them with ones direct from chevy and not autozone.
2011 SS SLP ZL427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
I put on 8k and replaced the rear tires. No TPMS issues when I replaced the tires. At 24k I replaced all four. Ever since then I have had the damn TPMS going off. I have brought it back to the tire shop several times. They reset the sensors several times, then took the tires off the wheels and checked all the sensors, then reset them a couple more times, then replaced them all. Still having issues with the TPMS going off.

Any ideas or someone that has had a similar issue?

Maybe my car doesn't like the sensors they put in?

Is there really a difference in sensors?

I don't want to take it to the dealer since I know they will just blame the tire shop and charge me for it.

Any advice or input would be appreciated!
CHMSC,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue. I agree with the other posters, it sounds as though there is an issue with the sensor(s). Either they were not programmed properly, damaged or the wrong ones were used.

I encourage you to consult with a certified technician at your local GM dealer for additional assistance. They will be able to offer an official diagnosis after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance setting up an appointment, please PM me your information.

Louis (assisting Brandon)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
CHMSC,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue. I agree with the other posters, it sounds as though there is an issue with the sensor(s). Either they were not programmed properly, damaged or the wrong ones were used.

I encourage you to consult with a certified technician at your local GM dealer for additional assistance. They will be able to offer an official diagnosis after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance setting up an appointment, please PM me your information.

Louis (assisting Brandon)
Chevrolet Customer Service

I appreciate the response but please read my first post. I am not taking the car to a dealer since they will charge me for something I have already paid for.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
I appreciate the response but please read my first post. I am not taking the car to a dealer since they will charge me for something I have already paid for.
I tend to agree with you on this, but, something to consider is that a dealership has tools and diagnostic equipment to pinpoint your problem that the typical tire shop does not have. It might be worth considering the dealer if your frustration level with your current shop goes up as it probably will. Most tire shops I have seen will typically throw parts at a problem until it's fixed. They might not charge the customer for this, but the customer gets frustrated in the end because he continues to have to return for more repairers, which increases the likely hood that some bozo will really screw something up.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
I tend to agree with you on this, but, something to consider is that a dealership has tools and diagnostic equipment to pinpoint your problem that the typical tire shop does not have. It might be worth considering the dealer if your frustration level with your current shop goes up as it probably will. Most tire shops I have seen will typically throw parts at a problem until it's fixed. They might not charge the customer for this, but the customer gets frustrated in the end because he continues to have to return for more repairers, which increases the likely hood that some bozo will really screw something up.
Ya I hear ya. And it's to late they already scratched the rims, not bad but they did. I am going to let them fix it and when they hopefully do I will get a discount on the rims I want. Oh and my dealer is an idiot, they have screwed up my car to many times hence why I don't want to go there but may have to if they can't get it right.