Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Rebels1

Drives: 2012 v6 2LT/RS with ground effects
Question that's probably been asked tons of times.

Sorry for asking about this as it's probably been discussed many times before but I couldn't find anything doing a search. I've got 2012 and have been thinking about installing the K&N 63 Series AirChargerŪ Air Intake System. Some sites say air intakes do nothing other say they work wonders and some will even say they cause engine failure if water gets sucked in. So since I know squat about mechanics I'll ask you guys. Is it worth the $500 , will it increase performance and fuel efficiency as claimed and how does it effect the sound form the exhaust and what about the water claims..Thanks
Rebels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
billions of times.

did you search for "water" + "intake"?
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I can't say $500 is worth it. Most that make CAI for the V6 claim about 15HP gain. Unless you dyno it before and after it is hard to tell by the seat of your pants. I bought the Injen CAI short ram (way cheaper at around $280) and don't think it really change the sound of the exhaust either. The biggest reason I changed it was to get a K&N style filter on it to help it breath better and hopefully notice the added HP. I believe it did help gas mileage because as hard as I was on the gas most of last summer after I installed it I was averaging 28 MPG. Plus it looks nicer under the hood now. I haven't had a water problem that I know of and think the water problem comes from the ones run down to the lower part of the car and draw air from lower end of the front end but not sure on that.

Dean.

skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Rebels1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets77 View Post
billions of times.

did you search for "water" + "intake"?
Thanks, did what yo suggested and found mucho stuff.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Rebels1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I can't say $500 is worth it. Most that make CAI for the V6 claim about 15HP gain. Unless you dyno it before and after it is hard to tell by the seat of your pants. I bought the Injen CAI short ram (way cheaper at around $280) and don't think it really change the sound of the exhaust either. The biggest reason I changed it was to get a K&N style filter on it to help it breath better and hopefully notice the added HP. I believe it did help gas mileage because as hard as I was on the gas most of last summer after I installed it I was averaging 28 MPG. Plus it looks nicer under the hood now. I haven't had a water problem that I know of and think the water problem comes from the ones run down to the lower part of the car and draw air from lower end of the front end but not sure on that.

Dean.

Thanks for the reply. The K&N goes for $350 where I live in Ontario, the rest is taxes and install. I think you're right about the water being a problem to the systems mounted lower, I remember a mechanic saying something to that effect.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Have you thought about getting a Green Filter and keeping the stock air box? I have heard good things about them.
http://www.greenfilterusa.com/
You could try that first and see how you like it before spending $300 to $500 on a CAI.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
skibik

If you have any mechanical ability do it yourself and save that money for something else. The CAI install is really simple, if you can follow directions it is an easy install. But that is your choice though.

Dean.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
A K&N should NOT cost 500 bucks. Look carefully online and you'll find one for around $250 or less.

As to whether it helps, I've yet to install mine on my Camaro, but I had one on my previous truck and it helped with throttle feel and responsiveness. As to power, who knows, my butt says it helped...

There are proven results on the forum with dyno tests for our Camaro's, so it's just up to you!
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
rocknRllr

Drives: 2013 2LT Crystal Red Metallic
I owned a 2011 2LT RS and installed a K & N intake and yes it made a difference and sounded great when I'd get on it. Now I own a 2013 2LT RS and installed the CAI brand on this Camaro. It sounds even a little better (to me) and installed looks much nicer.
rocknRllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post

Dean.

Is this ?? Hard on the gas and you still get 28mpg? I'm moderate with the gas and i get around 24, is an intake really going to make that big of a difference?
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
skibik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
Is this ?? Hard on the gas and you still get 28mpg? I'm moderate with the gas and i get around 24, is an intake really going to make that big of a difference?
Not BS. I am not sure how much the intake helps but I believe it does, but would only have to say maybe a couple MPG tops. I calculate every tank when I fill and even had one tank at 29.1 last summer. It all depends on where you live. I didn't baby a tank last summer but you have to realize I live in a rural area of NW MN and my driving is mostly highway and not city, I do about 80% highway and 20% city. I have a 13 mile commute one way to work and all highway. I do a lot of hard take offs, get on it hard when passing all this to hear the exhaust and yes last summer I was getting around 28 average. I am paying for it now though at tanks averaging 19 MPG now but it is cold I start it up with the auto start a few minutes before leaving work. But those tanks were when we had -20F for highs for about 2 weeks or more. We are warming up here and averaging 20F for highs and filled up this past Thursday and 363.2 miles/15.402gls = 23.584MPG and I am very happy with that. I expect to be back up to 28 MPG when the temps get into the 60 and 70 degree temps. These tanks through the winter I have been a little easier on the gas but not by much. I think if you have the stock air box I think it would even help MPG to go buy a K&N filter and throw in there. They have always claimed better MPG with there filters. Bad thing is the Injen CAI has a Amsoil brand K&N style filter in it but still think it is an improvement over stock. I am going to try and baby just one tank this summer because I figured if I did that I could break the 30 MPG barrier. The V6 in my 2004 Monte Carlo I traded off I was getting 31MPG with that but only slightly more than half the HP in that.

Dean.