Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > Europe

Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
leifhain

Drives: lancia delta integrale
European Taxman loves it

The new Camaro is the first American car to impress me by its beauty and technology. Only, I am afraid - even at the most unimaginable profitable EUR/USD rate - there will be no market for it in Europe since cubic inches and horses are heavily taxed as will be "fuel squandering" by 2010. Even my beloved Lancia's (2.0 turbo 210 HP engines) are targeted by the new tax regulations to come. In Belgium for instance, a 6.0 liter 400 HP version would be taxed an extra 4659 EUR on top of the usual 21 % VAT when purchased, plus 2537 EUR road tax to be payed each year. By 2009 taxes will depend on an Ecoscore which classifies the average 2007 Corvette at around 45, hereby probably hitting the highest tax rates. Keeping average fuel consumption below 10 liter/100 km is really an issue over here, guys!
Grtz, L.
leifhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
For those unaware....10L/100KM is roughly equal to 23.5 mpg.

I live in Germany, but luckily I am sheltered from such taxes. I disagree with a tax based solely on displacement; since larger displacement engines could, in theory, be more fuel efficient than a smaller.

For instance, I am driving a old 92 BMW 740iL as a beater car and I get roughly 22-23 mpg out of the 4.0L V8 it has....before that I had a old 1990 325ix with a 2.5L I6 which also got 22-23 mpg in the same driving conditions.

I'm sure the emissions were similar as well, so why get taxed on the extra 1.5L of displacement I have now?

Come to think of it...my Mustang with a 4.6L V8 is getting 22.6 mpg, similar to the other cars, but again with more displacement than the others. So again, I don't understand the concept.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
21% VAT!!!

BRUTAL
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
leifhain

Drives: lancia delta integrale
Consequently a tax concept based on emissions could be advantageous for big displacement engined cars (there is hope for the 'nothing compares to cubic inches' aficionados). By the way, Rock36: my 4 cylinder 2.0L Delta indeed drinks a lot more than your 4,6L V8 Mustang. ;-)
leifhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'm holding my worries until we know the official details about it. There's a chance it might be E84 compatible so that would class it as an enviromentally friendly car here and thus there would be lots of tax breaks....
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
Come over to the UK... it's worse. :(
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
roy
Erlkoenig

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
21% VAT!!!

BRUTAL
Plus 19% import.
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Cyberstyx

Drives: Seat Leon 1.8 20VT
Send a message via MSN to Cyberstyx
Are you sure it 's 21% VAT + 10% import costs?

I was under the impression that the customs thing we pay is the VAT (19%) and we don't pay anything more.

In Greece road tax paid per year is also based on CCs, but gladly the 2500cc+ are all in the same category costing 483 EUR per year.

Still, a possible 43000 US (for the top dog) + 19% + 21% = 62000 US or 39000 EUR, which makes it an expensive car but in the league of well geared AUDIs for example, making it the best buy for that category.

(But I 'm hoping it 's only a 19% additional cost and not a +21% on top of that).
Cyberstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
roy
Erlkoenig

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
CYberstax you are correct. That is what Iget when drinking and typing.
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
Silencer

Drives: '01 Mustang BULLITT GT
Costs 4 an Import to Germany

Price in USA

+ Shipping and Insurance to Germany

+ Harborfees

+ 10 % Importtax

+ 19 % VAT

+ Various modifikations (Lights, safety tests, emittion checks etc.
and yet new the ecpertise about electromagneticel emissions)
If you'd like to import the car by yourself you've to pay these expertises from the importers - very expensive !!!

+ Approvalfees to get on the road

Complete costs for a new Camaro:

The new Camaro will be offically imported by GM dealers. If you'll buy it there, it would be less hard, but hardly cheaper.

That means that we here in Germany have to calculate the price in Europe in € in at least the price in the US in $. And that at a exchange rate 1.50 $ to 1 €.

In Austria the goverment is adding another 10-15 % "Normverbrauchsabgabe" (I can't translate this word, because it's unknown in the rest of the world. In word to word translation it would mean "normal consumer tax". The inhabitants woul'd have to pay it either )

BTW, interested in todays price for gas here in Germany ?

Its 2,28 $ .... not for a gallon but for 1 liter !!!!!

On your six ... DHG 2700

Silencer

Last edited by Silencer; 05-28-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #11
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by leifhain View Post
The new Camaro is the first American car to impress me by its beauty and technology. Only, I am afraid - even at the most unimaginable profitable EUR/USD rate - there will be no market for it in Europe since cubic inches and horses are heavily taxed as will be "fuel squandering" by 2010. Even my beloved Lancia's (2.0 turbo 210 HP engines) are targeted by the new tax regulations to come. In Belgium for instance, a 6.0 liter 400 HP version would be taxed an extra 4659 EUR on top of the usual 21 % VAT when purchased, plus 2537 EUR road tax to be payed each year. By 2009 taxes will depend on an Ecoscore which classifies the average 2007 Corvette at around 45, hereby probably hitting the highest tax rates. Keeping average fuel consumption below 10 liter/100 km is really an issue over here, guys!
Grtz, L.
What a drag. You guys need to have a tax revolt, dump some tea in the bay somewhere. We would be happy to show you how
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 AM   #12
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
What a drag. You guys need to have a tax revolt, dump some tea in the bay somewhere. We would be happy to show you how
ROFL.

Sorry some of you are going through this. But I am confident that GM has kept you in mind. This car has shown through spy shots that it is euro ready and I'm sure that includes keeping inmind the insane taxes you must pay. (hoping for E85)
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
Mr.Rabbit

Drives: Saab 93
Well if i already saw 3 challangers here i can bet GM is bringing the Camaro also...so i'll wait...but can't relax though . In my opinion the consumption is not an issue since you are thinking of buying a V8...so if one liter costs 2 euros or 3...it wouldn't make a difference since u go for that and not a 1.5 DCI renault. The only thing that concerns me is that the car will cost like 60k euros over here (referring to the v8 2ss top dog) with those "european adjustments" like yellow blinkers and side blinkers and whatever they need. I wonder if we can buy one from the States and just buy those needed pieces separately and do the adjustment on our own and register it afterwards....it will still be alot cheaper...with 10% import tax, 19% vat, transport and other reg taxes. My calculation brings it to ~40k Euros....which for that car is a damn good price to pay!
Mr.Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Well all those taxes have to be applied to whatever you buy so you'll get nailed driving a 4 cylinder BMW. How do you think the 3.6 litre V6 will do in Europe?