Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Zackety93

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 6-speed manual
CAI again..

So after some time, and some unexpected expenditures.. I've saved up enough to move on with my intake. I've pretty much decided on the CAI with black housing. I've checked the MAF sensor (strong) and as far as I know, everything is ready for me to order it and install. My real question is...

Should I get the scoop and washer relocate as well? Or would I be alright just getting the intake?

*I'll be ordering it from Apex Motorsports. Chase did me good on my exhaust.
Zackety93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackety93 View Post
*I'll be ordering it from Apex Motorsports. Chase did me good on my exhaust.
Very glad to hear that!

Do you need the scoop and washer tank relocation kit? No. Your engine will sound awesome and you will pick up some power with just the intake. But with the scoop and washer tank it will sound even better and pick up even more power. And you get a bigger package discount if you order it with the intake rather than coming back later. Here are a few quotes from other Camaro5 members that might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
I installed the Cold Air Inductions CAI two weeks ago. I did not notice any performance difference over the following week. The following weekend I installed the (APEX) scoop and washer relocation kit. The difference was amazing, especially at around 3000 rpms and up. Car pulls much harder now, and sounds different too...

So I definitely recommend it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Had the CAI installed a few months ago, just never got around to installing the relo and scoop till this past weekend....after driving around with just the CAI, which itself made adifference in the feel, and now with the scoop, I can tell you that there seems to be a major improvement with the scoop. My butt Dyno definatly feels and hears a big difference compared to just the CAI....definatly recommend the scoop. One of the best cost to performance ratio's Ive done so far to my Camaro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichi View Post
I just installed a CAI, scoop, and a windshield washer relocate kit that I bought from APEX. The install went smooth with no problems. When I was done I took my car for a spin and WOW what a difference. It seemed to run a lot smoother and faster.

I would like to say APEX has super fast shipping, I placed my order on Friday evening and received it on Wednesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeboe View Post
Results:

Uhmmm yeah it is noticeable..wow!!!! The install was good and clean, the CAI just looks right down sexy as hell, CAI inc makes a good intake! it dresses up the engine nicely.... Sound has improved! and throttle response is smooth and shifts cleans. I recommend the Scoop WW kit and CAI to anyone.. got mines from Chase at APEX-great guy to to business with!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I run the scoop. Can't tell you how much of a difference there is because I had it done at the time of my headers. I've heard nothing but good from it though.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I say go with the scoop as well. I love my CAI/scoop combo
Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Zackety93

Looks like the scoop and relocation kit is the way to go then? How hard is it to relocate the washer bottle? :/
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Looks like the scoop and relocation kit is the way to go then? How hard is it to relocate the washer bottle? :/
It is not very hard. And keep in mind that I am not a mechanic. Here are a few links to some pretty good posts that might give you an idea.

DIY - ADM Scoop & Apex Washer Tank Installed with a CAI intake
By: ClutchKargo

Apex Motorsports Washer Tank Relocation Kit & Air Scoop
By: edgar3

Apex Motorsports Washer Fluid Tank Replacement Kit Now Available!!!
By: Darth_Emma
Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Does anyone with an Araid CAI have any pics of theirs? since we have to cut out the bottom of the Araid CAI.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
No matter what you decide on the scoop, thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Zackety93

With the scoop, I won't have to worry about getting water in the intake or anything like that will I? :/ I don't need any issues that may void my warranty.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I'd go with the vararam!!
I got it and its worked for me.

Happy modding!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
With the scoop, I won't have to worry about getting water in the intake or anything like that will I? :/ I don't need any issues that may void my warranty.
There is nothing to worry about. In order for water to get to the air box it would have to enter the scoop, negotiate a 45 degree corner, make a 90 degree turn upward, and then climb about 12 inches vertically. While the scoop does direct additional cool dense air flow into the intake it does not create a vacuum capable of doing all that. Water vapor condenses against the back wall of the scoop and is drained through weep holes in the bottom rear corners. The only way I can see forcing enough water into the intake to hydro lock it would be for you to hit standing water at least as deep as the fog lights and with a bit of speed.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
C.A I. FTW!!!
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
Zackety93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
There is nothing to worry about. In order for water to get to the air box it would have to enter the scoop, negotiate a 45 degree corner, make a 90 degree turn upward, and then climb about 12 inches vertically. While the scoop does direct additional cool dense air flow into the intake it does not create a vacuum capable of doing all that. Water vapor condenses against the back wall of the scoop and is drained through weep holes in the bottom rear corners. The only way I can see forcing enough water into the intake to hydro lock it would be for you to hit standing water at least as deep as the fog lights and with a bit of speed.

Well as much as I love taking her for a swim... lol

Thanks don't think I'll have an issue.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Well as much as I love taking her for a swim... lol

Thanks don't think I'll have an issue.
Don't be THAT guy.