Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
NJ-JRS
C5

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Red accents on Black
Re-oiled CAI; less MPG

Hey Guys,

I bought a Roto Fab CAI intake system for my 2012 V6 last summer. I recently cleaned and re-oiled for the first time last week (using K&N's cleaner/oil system), and now I get a drastically noticeable decrease in MPG. At cruising speeds in the past where I'd get around 32mpg highway on the way to work, I now average around 26mpg.

I try not to drive very aggressively so on local roads I'd often average around 21 MPG. Now it's around 15MPG average, and even the act of slowly accelerating ALWAYS shows single digit MPG, sometimes as low as 3mpg when on slight inclines. It was never this low before, so now I'm just trying to figure out what the situation may be. Is this normal immediately after a re-oil? Does it sound like I did not oil enough? Did I use too little oil? Any ideas?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help!
NJ-JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
How long did you let the filter sit after reoiling? There may be an excess of oil. How about pulling the MAF sensor and checking for oil on it (don't touch the internals), then spraying it with some MAF sensor cleaner, available at a local auto parts store.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Did you let the oil soak for 20 mintues before driving? If you use to much oil you could have oiled the MAF. I would clean the MAF and see if things improve.
http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm <--- try this link
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
NJ-JRS
C5

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Red accents on Black
I'll take a look at cleaning the MAF but it seems more like a filter issue because when I go back to the dry filter that I also own, the MPG is not as low as with the oil filter.

Also, I let the oil dry for a few days before I actually drove the car anywhere.

I know I did the 'process' of cleaning and re-oiling correctly, since I checked K&Ns website and watched youtube videos, but the only concern is if I used the correct amount of oil or too much/too little.

Any additional thoughts/input/opinions?

Thanks for the help guys.
NJ-JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I'll be the first to suggest that using a K&N product on the Roto Fab filter might be it. Should they be different oils? No. Is it possible? Probably.
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote