Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Onstar Turn by Turn Navigation

I wanted to give kudos to those who deserve it, and I think the folks that designed the navigation system on our Camaros through Onstar did a great job. So often we bitch about what is wrong on our cars, but seldom do we give the people who gave us our cars a pat on the back for a job well done...well, here is my pat!

I have a 2011 2SS/RS which I dearly love. Drove it down to Camaro5 Fest to check out the action and see some cars - had a great time. I was following my dad in his Grand Sport LT3 car with navigation, but decided to try the turn-by-turn system for the heck of it. Fantastic service. Called the service, gave them the address for the Wyndham West and the system did the rest. Seamless - and not as distracting as my Nav screen in my Escalade - which I find myself looking at from time to time when I should be looking at the road.

For those who have not tried the service, your turns are announced well ahead of you. The direction of your next turn as well as distance to turn are displayed in the heads up and DIC displays and the voice prompt tells you where to go. I highly recommend this system. I never thought I would like it, and would only ask that there be an upgrade someday that would give you distance to destination with time somewhere in the center display. Other than that - I loved it.

Thanks for a great feature that worked wonderfully.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Janet used it yet. Where supposed to be getting the update that the sonics have where it uses an app and displays real time directions with a streets view on the myLink have no idea on expected date

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I wanted to give kudos to those who deserve it, and I think the folks that designed the navigation system on our Camaros through Onstar did a great job. So often we bitch about what is wrong on our cars, but seldom do we give the people who gave us our cars a pat on the back for a job well done...well, here is my pat!

I have a 2011 2SS/RS which I dearly love. Drove it down to Camaro5 Fest to check out the action and see some cars - had a great time. I was following my dad in his Grand Sport LT3 car with navigation, but decided to try the turn-by-turn system for the heck of it. Fantastic service. Called the service, gave them the address for the Wyndham West and the system did the rest. Seamless - and not as distracting as my Nav screen in my Escalade - which I find myself looking at from time to time when I should be looking at the road.

For those who have not tried the service, your turns are announced well ahead of you. The direction of your next turn as well as distance to turn are displayed in the heads up and DIC displays and the voice prompt tells you where to go. I highly recommend this system. I never thought I would like it, and would only ask that there be an upgrade someday that would give you distance to destination with time somewhere in the center display. Other than that - I loved it.

Thanks for a great feature that worked wonderfully.
I completely agree, great service
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
i wish i could get the screen to show the car going the direction I'm going..
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Adrenaline12

Drives: Synergy Green 2SS
Now, if only there were a way use it with out the subscription that would be nice.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
I use it all the time in my '10, unfortunately I've had some troubles with them in very inopportune situations.

-It dropped out on my and wasn't able to call or anything, at 2am in WV when I was on my way to PA from FL, not nice.
-It dropped out when I was in Phoenix from PA to CA
-Unable to find an address I can pull up on my phone 4 times
-Finally 5 dropped calls with no explanation
-Twice now it has dropped out while driving somewhere here in SoCal

All these times I've had my smartphone so I was alright, but it really is inexcusable for a service that I pay $30/month for and was marketed as being better than my phone because it doesn't need a cell signal.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
robotfighter

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
I've wanted to use it (not just for directions, but for info when travelling), but I installed the Scosche kit and, because I don't have steering wheel volume controls, there is no way to adjust the volume, which is super low.
robotfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
aggieguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
i wish i could get the screen to show the car going the direction I'm going..
The new update that the sparks have will do this. We just have to wait till its on ours. And you buy the app on your phone. And it will stream it to your screen

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I'm glad it worked out for ya. It sure does not always work that way. I let mine go after several bad experiences the Onstar turn by turn. I just use a plug in navigation system now. Much better. Maybe someday I'll upgrade & add an in-dash nav system.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Lord Ryan

Drives: Chevy Prelude RS V4 Hot Pink Ed.
It's cool when the little arrow shows up on the HUD, but that's it. I don't want it, get it out of my car! Give me a real navi! I think the sonic app is $60 can't remember the name but it sounds cool. For now I use my Garmin.

Lord Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
aggieguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post
It's cool when the little arrow shows up on the HUD, but that's it. I don't want it, get it out of my car! Give me a real navi! I think the sonic app is $60 can't remember the name but it sounds cool. For now I use my Garmin.
Ya it's a one time 59.99. Starts with a B. can't remember though

Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Drives: 2013 1LE
Does the nav voice overide the cars stereo?
canecorso69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by canecorso69 View Post
Does the nav voice overide the cars stereo?
Yes. However I think in the 13s it lowered the radio and speaks instead of completely turning it off
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Drives: 2013 1LE
Ok. Thanks. That is pretty sweet then.
canecorso69 is offline   Reply With Quote