Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
2015 Mustang to Shed 400lbs (Edmunds)

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...on-a-diet.html

15" shorter, 6.5" narrower...makes me think BRZ size?

Quote:
Just the Facts:
- The redesigned 2015 Ford Mustang will be slightly smaller and several hundred pounds lighter when the car goes on sale next year, Edmunds has learned.
- The Mustang will shed around 400 pounds in a quest to improve fuel economy, said a source familiar with the Mustang program.
- The dimensions of the 2015 Mustang will be reduced and the car will use lighter-weight materials as well.

DEARBORN, Michigan — The redesigned 2015 Ford Mustang will be slightly smaller and several hundred pounds lighter when the car goes on sale next year, Edmunds has learned.

"I know they are trying to remove a minimum of 400 pounds," said a source familiar with the Mustang program who asked not to be identified. "The big thing is that it will be a 'smarter' size."

The 2014 Ford Mustang V6 coupe has a curb weight of 3,523 pounds when equipped with the six-speed automatic transmission and 3,501 pounds when equipped with the six-speed manual transmission, according to Ford. The 2014 Ford Mustang V6 convertible has a curb weight of 3,652 pounds when equipped with the six-speed automatic transmission and 3,630 pounds when equipped with the six-speed manual transmission.

The 2014 Ford Mustang coupe with a 3.7-liter V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission returns 19 mpg in city driving and 31 mpg on the highway, according to the EPA.

Ford did not respond immediately to a query from Edmunds asking about the Mustang weight-loss program.

Automakers are required to boost the fuel economy of their fleet 4 percent annually through 2025.

"That car will be around for 8 to 10 years so it has to meet anticipated regulatory requirements for that long period of time," the source said.

One of the keys to boosting fuel economy is trimming vehicle weight, by reducing the dimensions of the new Mustang and using lighter-weight materials.

"There is going to be less overhang" in the front, rear and on the sides of the Mustang, the source said.

"The overall length will be something like 8 percent (approximately 15 inches) shorter," the source said.

The 2014 Mustang is 188.5 inches in length and rides on a 107.1-inch wheelbase.

"The width will be a little less than 10 percent (about 6.5 inches) narrower," the source said.

The 2014 model is 73.9 inches wide.

As for materials "they are going to use more aluminum, better structural engineering in terms of spot welds and so on and so forth, basically using less material and making it stronger," the source said.

However, there is "nothing terribly exotic" in terms of materials.

"It is still going to be a pony car. It is still going to submit a (reasonable) price point so it cannot be an exotic," the source said.

While pricing for lower-end Mustangs is expected to be comparable to today's models, the source said high-end models could see a dramatic increase. The base 2014 Ford Mustang starts at $22,995.

"My understanding is that the maximum price is going to go up about 10 percent and that will be depending on equipment," the source said.

The 2015 Mustang coupe is expected to be unveiled at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show in January or the 2014 New York Auto Show in April. The convertible will debut later at a separate show. It will not be unveiled with the fastback, the source said.

Edmunds says: The 2015 Ford Mustang may shrink in size, largely due to regulatory pressure.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
It will be close to BRZ size. BRZ is 166 inches long compared with 173 for the new Mustang.

I can't wait for the specs to come out. At 3123lbs for the V6 Mustang vs 2800 for the BRZ, but with a huge power advantage for the Mustang, it should slaughter the BRZ and make it obsolete.

"I have a device in my pocket that can access the entirety of knowledge known to man.
I use it to look at pictures of cars and have arguments with strangers."
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So assuming the 400lb weight loss is true, that means we will see a base Mustang around 3,100 lbs and I'm guessing the GT will be in the 3,200 to 3,3xxlb max range.

Now imagine how that car with 450HP (which is what the next 5.0 is rumored to produce) under the hood will perform at the strip. Amazing comes to mind. I'm guessing easily mid 12s, if not slightly better than that.

At this point there is almost zero doubt in my mind that the next gen of pony cars will be the fastest ever. With less weight they should also be more fun to drive in the turns. The only question yet to answer is how good they will look compared to the current gen which could be a tall order.

I will say I'm not sure that I like the fact that the Mustang has to shrink so much. I just hope it doesn't end up looking like the size of a 370Z and still feels like the size of the current car even if it isn't.

GM may be able to pull some tricks, but based on what we've seen so far with the cars build on the Alpha platform, I don't see how they could touch weights like that. I estimate the base Camaro to be in the high 3,2xx range at best and more likely low to mid 3,3xx range with the V8 model in the low to mid 3,500 lb range.

I can't wait to see more.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
This all sounds ok but I want to see some pics of the 2015.
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So assuming the 400lb weight loss is true, that means we will see a base Mustang around 3,100 lbs and I'm guessing the GT will be in the 3,200 to 3,3xxlb max range.

Now imagine how that car with 450HP (which is what the next 5.0 is rumored to produce) under the hood will perform at the strip. Amazing comes to mind. I'm guessing easily mid 12s, if not slightly better than that.

At this point there is almost zero doubt in my mind that the next gen of pony cars will be the fastest ever. With less weight they should also be more fun to drive in the turns. The only question yet to answer is how good they will look compared to the current gen which could be a tall order.

I will say I'm not sure that I like the fact that the Mustang has to shrink so much. I just hope it doesn't end up looking like the size of a 370Z and still feels like the size of the current car even if it isn't.

GM may be able to pull some tricks, but based on what we've seen so far with the cars build on the Alpha platform, I don't see how they could touch weights like that. I estimate the base Camaro to be in the high 3,2xx range at best and more likely low to mid 3,3xx range with the V8 model in the low to mid 3,500 lb range.

I can't wait to see more.

Couldn't have said it more clearly. This mostly comes down to looks, because there is no dispute that the next generation is going to perform a lot better thanks to improved power and most importantly, lighter weight.

Sadly, looks is a big role to fill since many people favor the retro futurism that defines the current generation. Any car can go fast but not every car looks amazing.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
If that becomes fact, WOW they will smoke us like a cheap one. I hope GM takes notice
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
That's Vette territory as far as weight. Should be interesting to see what kind of power the 5.0 will make.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
I that weight is correct, GM may have to make some changes to the c7. 450hp and 3200 lbs is pretty spot on the new corvette specs.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I just hope the new Camaro isn't that small. We survived in the fifth gen just fine with the extra weight.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That's Vette territory as far as weight. Should be interesting to see what kind of power the 5.0 will make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
I that weight is correct, GM may have to make some changes to the c7. 450hp and 3200 lbs is pretty spot on the new corvette specs.
Unless they're planning to sell base model V8s for C7 prices, I don't buy it. I know the article already said to expect price increases for higher end models, but 450ish hp and 3200 lbs is not only Corvette performance, it'll pretty much have to be Corvette pricing too. I've said it before in another thread, Ford is trying to position the Mustang to compete against both Camaro and Corvette.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
My thoughts exactly. It'll put Chevy in an odd position to compete.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
A 2015 Mustang GT Premium package should list for around 37K depending on options.
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
Unless they're planning to sell base model V8s for C7 prices, I don't buy it. I know the article already said to expect price increases for higher end models, but 450ish hp and 3200 lbs is not only Corvette performance, it'll pretty much have to be Corvette pricing too. I've said it before in another thread, Ford is trying to position the Mustang to compete against both Camaro and Corvette.
Why? Why would it have to be Vette pricing? A 10% price increase for the GT would put it at around 34k and that is the percentage increase they are stating. That increase shoukld take care of the platform updates and the 5.0 could basically be a carry-over. So again, WHY would it have to have corvette pricing?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
My thoughts exactly. It'll put Chevy in an odd position to compete.
Exactly. If the 5.0 is bumped to 450 HP, that puts it right at Stingray numbers but for half the price.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote