Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Catch can benefits

I am doing a paper in college about engine sludge, and how terrible it is for your engine. Basically everything that a catch can helps eliminate. I see a lot of people on here with great information! I just need the source you get it from! So that I can use it as a source in my paper. As I have to have 3.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Not sure how you would reference a thread from this web site but here's a good source of info Apex Chase put together.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284219
Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Not sure how you would reference a thread from this web site but here's a good source of info Apex Chase put together.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284219
thank you for your help!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
PURPOSE OF YOUR STOCK PCV SYSTEM

The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is designed to regulate and remove fumes from the engine crankcase, and to alleviate crankcase pressure which could cause oil leaks or seal damage. The PCV system routes crankcase fumes into the intake manifold where they can be burned to eliminate harmful emissions into the atmosphere. The PCV valve controls the amount of crankcase flow volume depending on the engine's load. With large throttle openings (high engine loads), the more blow-by gases are produced, and the more the PCV system flows oil vapor in to the intake manifold. The PCV valve also functions as a check valve to prevent intake manifold flow from reversing back into the crankcase when there is a backfire, or during periods of high manifold pressure (boost) during forced induction by turbocharger or supercharger.

NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF YOUR STOCK PCV SYSTEM

Many Corvette, Camaro, Firebird and GTO owners with LSX engines can testify to the amount of oil residue that can accumulate inside the intake manifold, throttle body, intake track and even the air filter during aggressive driving conditions.There are various negative effects when excess oil vapor contaminates the intake system from the stock PCV system - such as:Throttle body and/or MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) malfunction or failure.Air filter, intercooler (if equipped) and intake ducting contamination if oil pools and run back out the intake system after engine shutdown.Reduced octane of the air/fuel mixture, which can cause detonation and the ECM (Engine Control Module) to retard timing, thereby reducing engine power.Excessive carbon build-up on valves, piston crowns, combustion chambers and spark plugs. This also increases the chance of detonation and power loss.Increased emissions & possible contamination of catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.Bottom Line:*Excessive amounts of oil vapor in the intake manifold is detrimental to your engine!Solution:*Install the E2 Elite Engineering PCV Oil Catch Can!

ULTIMATE FUNCTION

The E2 Elite Engineering PCV Oil Catch Can is designed to effectively separate oil from the crankcase vapors, thereby eliminating all negative effects of excessive intake system oil contamination. Our Catch Can has been engineered to remove the oil vapor before it has a chance to contaminate your intake system.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
thank you for your help!
Check your references/sources. The ones listed here are by the ones making and selling them.

Also try to find an independent person who has no "skin in the game" either way, and maybe some who have bought one and not noticed any effect or any real residual oil in the can chime in. (Then again, after spending $150+ for an aluminum can with a few hoses, they aren't likely to admit they were scammed).

You can also try writing GM directly, or the engineering dept to see if you get a response, but either way, when you do an academic research paper, if I was your Prof, I would be asking for both references.

Good luck.

N
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Catch cans a scam? Not hardly, the Elite Engineering catch can works just as they describe in my above post. The catch can was my very first mod when i bought my camaro, and i now have a little over 20k miles on it. Somewhere around 16k i had my throttle body taken off and polished and it along with my intake were still shiney new and bone dry. Mine collects a couple ounces of oil and has to be dumped at every oil change.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Catch cans a scam? Not hardly, the Elite Engineering catch can works just as they describe in my above post. The catch can was my very first mod when i bought my camaro, and i now have a little over 20k miles on it. Somewhere around 16k i had my throttle body taken off and polished and it along with my intake were still shiney new and bone dry. Mine collects a couple ounces of oil and has to be dumped at every oil change.
Dirty side catch can has nothing to do with the TB. Different route...
Old 10-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Good thing it's a paper and no lab testing.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catch, elite, engine, sludge