Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Box size for this sub?

Hey guys. I want to spend a little money and looking to put a little sound into the car.

I'll start off by saying I'm no audiophile, and my previous '05 Silverado had PG Components running off the stock head unit and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread So a lot of money on a sound system is probably lost on me. Seeing if I can't keep it simple and I have an OCD thing about stuff matching if possible. Doing the actual electrical is no problem. I wire trucks for a living...

Anywho, I was looking at Kicker components in the front doors, a Kicker ZX550.3 (3 Channel) amp, a Kicker Comp 10" C104 and a Sub Thump passenger side stealth box. However, the C104 calls for a minimum of 1.0 cu ft and the stealth box is only 0.8. How much of an issue is this?

The other consideration I had was using the Sub Thump forward facing box and using two of the C104s. It has 1.1 cu ft per side. Thoughts on this compared to the single side mount?

BTW, this will be playing country and classic rock the vast majority of the time.

Thanks.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
You shouldn't have a problem, however the sub will not play as low. I would rather put a sub in a slightly bigger box than is called for versus a smaller one. Have you looked at the large ******** box? It has a volume of 1.2 cu. ft. and with the sub taking up some of that, you should be right at 1 to 1.1 cu ft.

You could go with the duel driver box and be fine too. Consider how your going to get at the trunk release if your solenoid should fail though, since you'd lose your pass through.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
You shouldn't have a problem, however the sub will not play as low. I would rather put a sub in a slightly bigger box than is called for versus a smaller one. Have you looked at the large ******** box? It has a volume of 1.2 cu. ft. and with the sub taking up some of that, you should be right at 1 to 1.1 cu ft.

You could go with the duel driver box and be fine too. Consider how your going to get at the trunk release if your solenoid should fail though, since you'd lose your pass through.
Yea, I was looking at the larger box as well. Just being stingy, that's all. But you're right, probably the better way to go.

I thought about the same with the dual box. I think I would like to retain the pass through, and a single 10" would probably be more than sufficient for my music taste.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Old as Dirt

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Big ported box for really low freqs and booming lows... smaller sealed for great sound.. and tight bass.. which is my preference when coupled with a healthy amp @ 1ohm bridged.. pushing the crap out of a good set of components.. jmo.. couple of good 12's and 3500W is the shizzzzzzzz in that small Camaro cabin..
Old as Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote