Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
ZZ Motorsports - Audio Install

I finished up the stereo upgrade ans subwoofer install this afternoon. It took me one full day of work, but was WELL worth it.

We installed all JL C2 speakers including 6.5" components up front and 6x9s in the rear. I then installed an Alpine PDX.5 amp and a JL 10W3. The amp is rated at 75x4 plus 300x1 for the sub. It actually puts out more than that, and is incredibly clear.

My only complaint is that I had some engine noise in the speakers at first. That went away when I grounded the RCA converters. Also the Alpine amp has static in the sound when it powers up, lasts less than 2 secs when you turn the stereo on (only when the car is not on).

My first impression of the stereo was very very good. This setup puts out great sound and good clear music at all volumes.

I first built a box that resembled the JL stealthbox from the 4th Gen. It was a side facing box...It produced little to no sound, there was simply too much insulation in the trunk for a single side-facing 10" to make a good sound. It also did not help that my enclosure was slightly smaller than it should have been.....so on to a new box.

I then built a box which goes across the trunk and faces the sub toward the license plate...The amp is also mounted on the same panel. We were going to a nice clean look, and an easily removable box if we ever needed to. I think we got what we were looking for.

As for trunk space....although it may appear crowded in the trunk in these pictures, we actually have a lot of room left. The box is tucked way up in the trunk, and is actually just under the 6x9 holes...no further. It leaves a lot of room for our chairs when we go to car cruises!!

So without further delay here are a few pictures:
In the last picture with the 6x9 (ignore the excessive dynamat!! I sealed it up like crazy!!) you can see the box, and how far it comes forward in the trunk....enjoy!!
Attached Images

ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Navigator/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Nice install. Where did you take the sub input from?

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
If you look at the wiring info I posted as a sticky in the forum you will see all the color coded wires for the amp. I actually used the rear speaker inputs for both the rear and the sub...The sub channel is low pass only, so I did not need a dedicated input for it.

If you wanted to keeo your factory amp, and only add a sub you would simply use the low pass outputs from the amp, and one line converter...not a big deal you just need to identify the low pass inputs at the rear 6x9 and splice into it.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
If you look at the wiring info I posted as a sticky in the forum you will see all the color coded wires for the amp. I actually used the rear speaker inputs for both the rear and the sub...The sub channel is low pass only, so I did not need a dedicated input for it.

If you wanted to keeo your factory amp, and only add a sub you would simply use the low pass outputs from the amp, and one line converter...not a big deal you just need to identify the low pass inputs at the rear 6x9 and splice into it.
for the rear left low pass is #7 positive and #3 negative?

thanks