Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
NPP power gains w fuse pulled

I have a question that I hadn't seen answered after reading through countless NPP threads:

Is any power gained by pulling the fuse for the NPP on an otherwise stock LS3? I wonder what the differences are aside from more noise.
Seems you should see a couple HP through the lower RPM range. Please no speculation. I want to see a dyno chart or something similar. thanks.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
its just for noise
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
No gains
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I have a question that I hadn't seen answered after reading through countless NPP threads:

Is any power gained by pulling the fuse for the NPP on an otherwise stock LS3? I wonder what the differences are aside from more noise.
Seems you should see a couple HP through the lower RPM range. Please no speculation. I want to see a dyno chart or something similar. thanks.
I can't believe that none of those threads said there's no HP gains. If you look at ANY catback or axleback thread, you'll see that they are ONLY for sound and possibly a weight savings. If you're looking for HP, you need to look at LT's, high flow cats, or straight pipes.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Due to how it works on the Camaro's I don't think you would see any change at all on the dyno.

The only car we have seen make a change is on the C6's with the dual mode exhaust. Even with the car WOT they do not open until 3000 rpm, unlike the Camaro that I believes stays open under WOT (correct me if I'm wrong here)...when the Corvette is on the dyno and you open or close the exhaust HP doesn't change to much but torque can change almost 15-20 ft-lbs under 3k when the flaps open.

Either way you wouldn't see a change in peak...and if you are racing someone your going to be over that RPM anyway. If you want a real gain...like everyone else said, headers, cold air....
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Smartguy

Drives: Chevy
I know your not asking for speculation but a dyno isn't going to tell you much. Dynos just don't give specific enough details to determine power gains from 1-3k rpm

Theoretically though with the fuse pulled you would have a more freely flowing exhaust throughout the entire powerband. With the engine pushing air through a bit easier you may be able to adjust the tune to gain a few hp down low where the flaps used to stay shut.

But it would be the tune taking advantage of the open exhaust. Just pulling the fuse isn't going to do that.

I don't think it's question you'll get a factual answer too. It also really isn't useful.

I say that because if you need the hp it means you're wanting to get the car moving. And if your doing that you're not going to be between 1-3k rpm
Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Smartguy

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
Due to how it works on the Camaro's I don't think you would see any change at all on the dyno.

The only car we have seen make a change is on the C6's with the dual mode exhaust. Even with the car WOT they do not open until 3000 rpm, unlike the Camaro that I believes stays open under WOT (correct me if I'm wrong here)...when the Corvette is on the dyno and you open or close the exhaust HP doesn't change to much but torque can change almost 15-20 ft-lbs under 3k when the flaps open.

Either way you wouldn't see a change in peak...and if you are racing someone your going to be over that RPM anyway. If you want a real gain...like everyone else said, headers, cold air....
You say "no change" then "not to much change"

Good example

I guess people could get on a dyno wi a switch and make a pull with it shut, then open and make a pull. But even the car getting up from the previous pull could cause more of a ch age than the exhaust.

Dynos aren't exact which makes it touh to determine answers for questions like this
Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Good enough answers for me (even though it would be nice to see a dyno graph showing both as confirmation). I'll just run it as intended for now. Yes a tune and possibly headers are in my future too. Just not now...
Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
It's not a Camaro....but again the Corvette's stay closed til almost 3k RPM so in this baseline you can see what changes on those cars when it opens.

The red line is stock with headers but the exhaust in std mode opening only after 3200 RPM
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote