Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
Got a new HU, need help!

Okay guys, I ordered a new pioneer head unit, and I have a couple questions. I also ordered the scosche kit with the antenna adaptor.

The HU I went with is the Pioneer AVIC-X850BT, I liked it because it had Nav, and it was the right price.
Do I need to order something such as this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...dio/GEX-P920XM to make the XM in my car work? or will the stock plug work in the back of the HU?
Also this unit doesn't have a USB port anywhere on it, thats not a deal breaker because you can buy this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/CD-IV202NAVI and still be able to plug your phone in.

Am I able to plug in the phone thing and the XM thing at the same time? Also I will be hooking up my backup camera to the new HU, currently I have the harness from Ofer. All I have to do is move the AV cord from Ofers barnes to the the HU connector right?

I've heard many different things, on the scosche website it says there is no need for any adaptors to make the steering wheel controls work, but some people say that you do need an adaptor, and some say you don't....Do I?

Other than that it should be mostly plug and play right? Ive never installed a radio, but I feel pretty confident. The scosche kit comes with a harness, so I shouldn't have to cut any factory wires right? Hopefully if all goes as planned Ill have a new radio in the next couple of weeks!

(I did search, but couldn't find anything that was about my specific HU or questions. Thanks for all yalls help!!)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011*Camaro*SS View Post
Okay guys, I ordered a new pioneer head unit, and I have a couple questions. I also ordered the scosche kit with the antenna adaptor.

The HU I went with is the Pioneer AVIC-X850BT, I liked it because it had Nav, and it was the right price.
Do I need to order something such as this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...dio/GEX-P920XM to make the XM in my car work? or will the stock plug work in the back of the HU?
Also this unit doesn't have a USB port anywhere on it, thats not a deal breaker because you can buy this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/CD-IV202NAVI and still be able to plug your phone in.

Am I able to plug in the phone thing and the XM thing at the same time? Also I will be hooking up my backup camera to the new HU, currently I have the harness from Ofer. All I have to do is move the AV cord from Ofers barnes to the the HU connector right?

I've heard many different things, on the scosche website it says there is no need for any adaptors to make the steering wheel controls work, but some people say that you do need an adaptor, and some say you don't....Do I?

Other than that it should be mostly plug and play right? Ive never installed a radio, but I feel pretty confident. The scosche kit comes with a harness, so I shouldn't have to cut any factory wires right? Hopefully if all goes as planned Ill have a new radio in the next couple of weeks!

(I did search, but couldn't find anything that was about my specific HU or questions. Thanks for all yalls help!!)
I'll let what know about the unit. I had a AVIC Z140bt. This the part I used for the XM radio. It is a Siriusxm sxv200v1 tuner. You will not need adapter for the steering wheel controls. the Scosche kit has it built in all ready. In order for onstar to work you will need a modulo for it but what I understand you can not get one at this time.
No you will no need to cut any factory wiring. Youmight have to get 4 male phono plugs for the speaker inputs.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
2011*Camaro*SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I'll let what know about the unit. I had a AVIC Z140bt. This the part I used for the XM radio. It is a Siriusxm sxv200v1 tuner. You will not need adapter for the steering wheel controls. the Scosche kit has it built in all ready. In order for onstar to work you will need a modulo for it but what I understand you can not get one at this time.
No you will no need to cut any factory wiring. Youmight have to get 4 male phono plugs for the speaker inputs.

Perfect thanks! Did you get rid of your avic? I don't have onstar so that doesn't really matter. Are those plugs hard to put on?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Caddyroger

Quote:
Perfect thanks! Did you get rid of your avic? I don't have onstar so that doesn't really matter. Are those plugs hard to put on?
They are not hard you just solder the wire on the post.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
2011*Camaro*SS

Quote:
They are not hard you just solder the wire on the post.

I was afraid you were going to say that...alright thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
2011*Camaro*SS

My scosche came in today, but I still dont have the pioneer. It should be here tomorrow, but the car is going to the shop and im going on vacation so i wont be able to put it in until the week after next...Its going to be a long few weeks. Oh and one of my orders was canceled, so I have to try and find something to replace that item with....

When I go to put it in can I cut off these connectors and strip and crimp the wires to their matching wires? Im not good at soldering and I feel like crimping will be safer for me lol I don't wanna burn myself....
Attached Images

Last edited by 2011*Camaro*SS; 01-30-2014 at 10:50 PM.
2011*Camaro*SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
opossum

Drives: 2013
Hallo,

I'm from germany and i have an Kenwood DNX 9210BT and the scosche kit. I took all wires from the kenwood to the scosche kit wires with soldering all wires. But the wires to the loudspeakers I have done to an iso-connector. I have done it, becaues my kenwood unit has for the loudspeakers high-power Outputs and low Level Outputs. If the scosche Needs low Level Inputs, i will connect the low Level connectors to connector of scosche. If it needs highpower, i will connect the highpower-connector from kenwood to scosche.
You can see what i have done at the following Pictures:

Name:  DSCN1049_klein.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  223.2 KB

Name:  DSCN1051_klein.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  250.0 KB

best regards from Germany
opossum
opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
2011*Camaro*SS

Okay, so if i'm looking at your pictures correctly I can just splice all the wires together, instead of using the male and female plugs. Im not 100% sure what you are saying about the high and low level connectors, but it looks good. Thanks for your response.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
opossum

Drives: 2013
Hallo,

the kenwood unit has highpower Outputs, where you can connect the loudspeakers directly. The lowlevel Output you have to connect to an amplifier. At the lowlevel Outputs you can't connect any loudspeakers. Sorry, my english language is not so good.
The Outputs at your Picture are chinchs, there are two wires (+) and (-) at every chinch.

best regards from
opossum
opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
Caddyroger

Quote:
Okay, so if i'm looking at your pictures correctly I can just splice all the wires together, instead of using the male and female plugs. Im not 100% sure what you are saying about the high and low level connectors, but it looks good. Thanks for your response.
I'll try explain further for you. High level outputs goes to your speakers. Low level outputs goes to an amplifier. If you have the BA sound system then you have and amplifier.as far as I know it uses low level outputs from the radio.
I did have a Pioneer AVIC-X140BT. On your radio the rca plugs are low level outputs and the the regular wires are high outputs. If you have the BA system to could damage the factory amp if you use the BA amplifier. I believe the 2SS/RS does have the BA sound system. I have a 2lt/RS so T can be 100% sure as to your car.
In one of your post you was saying about using but connectors. I would not use them. I have problems with coming disconnected when I used or any other place uses them.

Last edited by Caddyroger; 02-09-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
2011*Camaro*SS

Quote:
I'll try explain further for you. High level outputs goes to your speakers. Low level outputs goes to an amplifier. If you have the BA sound system then you have and amplifier.as far as I know it uses low level outputs from the radio.
I did have a Pioneer AVIC-X850BT. On your radio the rca plugs are low level outputs and the the regular wires are high outputs. If you have the BA system to could damage the factory amp if you use the BA amplifier. I believe the 2SS/RS does have the BA sound system. I have a 2lt/RS so T can be 100% sure as to your car.
In one of your post you was saying about using but connectors. I would not use them. I have problems with coming disconnected when I used or any other place uses them.
Yes, I have the BA sound system, I'm thinking about changing my amp, but not at this time.
I don't understand what you are saying here.
Your saying YOU would not use them, but its okay if you don't know how to solder?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
Caddyroger

Quote:
Yes, I have the BA sound system, I'm thinking about changing my amp, but not at this time.
I don't understand what you are saying here.
Your saying YOU would not use them, but its okay if you don't know how to solder?
The thing about butt connectors are the movement of the cable. hitting bumps causes the wire to move. The movement could cause the connection come lose. If you use butt connector make sure you secure the wire where the connections can not move much.
Do you have a soldering gun and solder?
I was tiring to say when other places that did electrical work on my car the butt connectors would come apart. I even have butt connectors come apart thinking that they would no move much.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
2011*Camaro*SS

Quote:
The thing about butt connectors are the movement of the cable. hitting bumps causes the wire to move. The movement could cause the connection come lose. If you use butt connector make sure you secure the wire where the connections can not move much.
Do you have a soldering gun and solder?
I was tiring to say when other places that did electrical work on my car the butt connectors would come apart. I even have butt connectors come apart thinking that they would no move much.
Yes, I have a soldering iron. Im just not comfortable soldering in my car, I don't want to burn anything. I'm not going to use butt connectors they are like those connectors that screw onto wires, but they crimp. I've used them before when installing my footwell lights, and as long as you make good crimps they won't come apart.

This is what I'm using: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120CCL1....html?tp=61469

http://youtu.be/pwNCSoCy5Rs I don't know why yours come apart...

Last edited by 2011*Camaro*SS; 02-02-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added link
2011*Camaro*SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
2011*Camaro*SS

Okay, I got home late last night and had a chance to open all the packages that showed up while I was gone. My car is still in the shop until tuesday. SO I have a couple more questions now that I have everything.

I connected the power harness that comes from the pioneer to the harness from the scosche. From all the pictures I've looked at it looks like there are only 4 stock connectors into the back of the stock radio. 2 of them plug into the scosche harness, one is the XM, and the other is the AM/FM antenna. Soooooooo, where do I plug in the RCA connectors from the other pioneer harness? (Pictured in an earlier post) Do I just not use them? In the pioneer installation manual it says that they are used for an aftermarket amp, which I don't have?? HELP!!! Thanks for all yalls help!