Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
ugh.. what would you do?

let me preface this by saying that i live with my dad and that i bought my car and i pay for it and the insurance 100%. he's in his 60's now and used to build muscle cars and hot rods his whole life.. literally go to a junk yard, find a decent body that had as little rust as possible, and put months of his time into building them up into 1,000 hp monsters..

he hasn't had a good job in a long time and keeps taking my car out and beating on it while im asleep etc.. i can literally hear my car a mile away right now. it pisses me off but at the same time i feel bad for him and want him to have his fun idk.. what would you guys do?

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
He did for you. Do for him. It's tough I'm sure but if he let you roll his whips, let him roll yours. Just my .02
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I'm pretty sure he has given you way more than you think. A little wear and tear on the Camaro should be no match.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Find him a nice 2010 and pay for half of it?
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Let him have his fun and get it out of his system. That's tough love.
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Yup...I agree with all responses!

I love my Camaro...if my Dad wanted to take it and drive it crazy, redline it, curb rash all four wheels and ruin it. Yea that would suck but...I LOVE MY FATHER! I only get one DAD...cars are replaceable. Smile...some people don't have their Fathers anymore!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #7
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
I let my mother have my camaro for a day and came back with some dents and the driver side view mirror knocked right off. She also accidentally knocked my rear view mirror off the windshield. In the process of trying to superglue the rear view mirror back on, she didn't allow it to dry and let the superglue drip down onto my radio and superglued all my radio buttons shut. Needless to say I was a little bummed.

But I was never mad because she always supported me growing up and has put in more blood, sweat, tears, and money than 20 camaros while raising me.

I say if your dad wants to take the car out for some fun, let him have his fun. It's not the end of the world, it's just a car at the end of the day.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
SSmokinSS
Get Some

Drives: 2014 ZL1 6Speed
I'd give my camaro away to have my dad for one more day.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #9
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Biggest thing, don't let this eat at you to the point that you resent him. You need to talk to him and work it out so it doesn't become a problem.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
RazorLED

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Hide the keys, or move out. Lol...

I understand exactly what the others are saying, however because it's your dad doesn't give him the right to just take something that belongs to you.

You said it pisses you off but at the same time you feel bad. Plain and simple when your dad was raising you there's many times I'm sure he told you No. There is a time when the kids become the parents. I've seen it happen a hundred times, nobody says anything until it becomes unbearable and then friendships and relationships are ruined because thing's are said out of frustration. Sometimes as hard as it is, saying no is the best thing you can say in some cases.

Ultimately you know your dad best, and you just have to do what's best for both of you.
RazorLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Drives: 2013 1LE
Take pops to Atco and let him have some serious fun. Nothing better than father/son time esp at the dragstrip. Take turns ripping the track up and see who comes out with the better times.

As a matter of fact I think I heard him drive by the refinery a second ago!!
canecorso69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #12
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
Quote:
Originally Posted by canecorso69 View Post
Take pops to Atco and let him have some serious fun. Nothing better than father/son time esp at the dragstrip. Take turns ripping the track up and see who comes out with the better times.
didnt think of that will do.

and yeah i like to see him have his fun, he did a lot for me growing up

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 AM   #13
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I'm not going to sugar coat it like the rest of these boys here...
I'd be hiding my keys. It's one thing to let your pops borrow your car but if he is disrespecting you and your car like that by beating on it.....well let's just say it wouldn't be happening!
Also if he is a master mechanic/builder as described then he should have no problem getting a decent job.
Not trying to be a dick just telling it like it is...
Good luck with that..

Oh and by the way I'm 37 years old, I love my father and he too is going through some rough times right now and I'm doing whatever I can for him .. but I know one thing for sure my dad would never disrespect me , as I would never disrespect him.
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVO 2SS View Post
Yup...I agree with all responses!

I love my Camaro...if my Dad wanted to take it and drive it crazy, redline it, curb rash all four wheels and ruin it. Yea that would suck but...I LOVE MY FATHER! I only get one DAD...cars are replaceable. Smile...some people don't have their Fathers anymore!
Ditto. Let him have his fun. I only wish my father was still here to do so. Lord knows I screwed up enough of his cars growing up. Of course, he made me help fix 'em when I did.

I must agree with what SSRS55 says as well, though. You might want to have a talk with him about "stealing" your car and have him ask to "borrow" it. Hopefully he's just going through a phase that will pass - not knowing how long this has been going on. He really is showing a lack of respect toward you though.

SSRS55: I will say though, it's mighty hard for a 60 year-old to find a skilled job and just because OP's dad used to build his own muscle cars back in the 60s or so, doesn't mean he's employable as a Master Mechanic 40+ years later. Cut him a little slack. But I do agree there is a respect thing missing from OP's situation.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)

Last edited by PalmerGA; 02-19-2014 at 04:32 AM.
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote