Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Tchristie021

Drives: 95 Avalon
New to the forum would like a second opinion

Hello my name is Tyler I actually came across this forum shortly after looking into camaros I would like some opinions on what to expect when getting a camaro and things like that I will introduce my self a little more with my situation and maybe some one can give me some advice. Very soon I will be a eye tech which is still part time but my income will be around 2000 a month give or take a hundred I am a pre dental student I run the best dental society in Louisiana according to the dental school in New Orleans lol which is cool to me I plan on graduating or at least applying next year to dental school I do not really come from money I live on my own in a nice neighborhood with a friend and my rent is 350 a month I get little student loans and pay my rent 4 months at a time and add on a phone bill and a credit card that totals 300 monthly i from a camaro family I wish I could post pictures of my uncles irocs I enjoyed riding in them which leads to a few questions

1. I want the ss for the power I drive a 1995 Toyota Avalon with about 300k on the odo it's a v6 but the mpg are not too off from a ss the insurance will cost me 25 more dollars a month than a v6 camaro but at 170 monthly I am 21 years old with good credit in the 720s

2. I don't wanna half ass getting a camaro I understand you get the ss when you graduate college or in my case dental school but at that point I'm not thinking about a Chevy as a dentist I would like to give the camaro to my son as well

3. The v6 seems logical but I'm a single white male according to my income tax papers and I wanna get away from the "you need something that gets good gas" idea I drove this Avalon from high school and took good care of it plus gas isn't too bad here in Shreveport being that premium is around 3.20 a gal

I would like some personal advice if anyone can relate or has known someone in a situation sorta like mine thank you
Tchristie021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
My opinion is, you need to use a "period" every once in a while when you type. I know you know what that is because you messed up and actually used ONE after about the first fifty words.

Honestly... it is so tiring trying to read your post and decipher what you are trying to say, I quit reading 3/4 of the way through your opening, uh, paragraph.

PUNCTUATE!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
If simple things like commas, periods, and capital letters are out of the realm of your capabilities my friend, dentistry should be an interesting endeavor.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Tchristie021

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
My opinion is, you need to use a "period" every once in a while when you type. I know you know what that is because you messed up and actually used ONE after about the first fifty words.

Honestly... it is so tiring trying to read your post and decipher what you are trying to say, I quit reading 3/4 of the way through your opening, uh, paragraph.

PUNCTUATE!
I didn't realize I would be graded on my punctuation in a forum post
Old 02-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Tchristie021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
If simple things like commas, periods, and capital letters are out of the realm of your capabilities my friend, dentistry should be an interesting endeavor.
I did well in English
Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
if you can swing it, get the SS or you will be disappointed you didn't (based on what you are wanting in your next ride). You will definitely enjoy riding in either, but when you want to have some fun with it, the V8 power will give it too you.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Tchristie021

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
if you can swing it, get the SS or you will be disappointed you didn't (based on what you are wanting in your next ride). You will definitely enjoy riding in either, but when you want to have some fun with it, the V8 power will give it too you.
Thank you I will test drive both before I make a major purchase camaros seem to be cheaper in dallas though
Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchristie021 View Post
I didn't realize I would be graded on my punctuation in a forum post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchristie021 View Post
I did well in English
Then act like it. Is it really so hard to use a comma, period, question mark?

Many of us read dozens of post a day on this site, often for the purpose of helping a fellow member with a question/problem. Make it easy on us so we can help you, too.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Welcome.
My advice is open a new saving account at the bank. Save as much money as you can for the down payment. Keep driving the Toyota Avalon until it grenades. When that time comes, look for a used v-8 Camaro with low miles, or buy a new one if you can comforably afford the payments.
Good luck
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Tchristie021

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Then act like it. Is it really so hard to use a comma, period, question mark?

Many of us read dozens of post a day on this site, often for the purpose of helping a fellow member with a question/problem. Make it easy on us so we can help you, too.
I type in forums like I text I'm sorry but I will give you credit you did pay attention to detail I realized I didn't use my punctuation correctly I just didn't think anyone really cared to notice it
Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
Tchristie021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
Welcome.
My advice is open a new saving account at the bank. Save as much money as you can for the down payment. Keep driving the Toyota Avalon until it grenades. When that time comes, look for a used v-8 Camaro with low miles, or buy a new one if you can comforably afford the payments.
Good luck
That's what my goal is. I do have to pass down the Avalon either to my brother or sister by the summer though so I do have to make a move.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
First, welcome. Second, wow guys...way to roll out the welcome mat.

What you choose (V8 or v6) should depend on your goals. Obviously your going to have quite an insurance increase because of your age. If your just wanting a cruiser I would recommend a 2LT plus you will still have 323hp and get all the goodies (leather, Bluetooth, back up camera). For an SS I would go either 2SS or 1SS with the 1LE package.

Your credit score should get you decent interest but I would still try and put 10% down.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Like someone before me said, start saving and keep driving your Avalon until it takes a shit on you. That was my plan with my old civic, but the transmission went way sooner than I had though, and that's why I drive a v6.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote