Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
New help on this Comp Cam set up!!!

Ok so I finally decided to go ahead and do a Cam on the 1LE since the shop is gonna change waste gates springs and increase boost to 8 PSi I decided to do a Cam as well.

At first I wanted something really mild. But then I thought if I'm investing all this money might as well make it work. So I contacted a Comp rep and he was really helpful and did two Custom Comp cam grinds for me the first one was this one

And then I thought about it and decided I wanted a more chopping idle so he created it this one

The second one I will need Dual valve springs with seats and retainers. I want a 3 bolt cam so I'll have to get a 3 boot conversion kit, New push rods etc..

I know very little about cams. This car is a daily driver but I want the most power I can get. What do you guys think of the second Cam set up!?
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
You might want to post this in the FI section since you are boosted. The guys that hang out in that section will probably have better advice for a cam/turbo car than a "N/A cam only" guy like me and others who are in this section regularly.

FWIIW my cam specs are 227/235 613/620 115+3. My cam is considered a mid-level cam. With bolt-ons - this size cam typically makes 460-470 rwhp. I have no idea though if my specs or yours are good for a turbo car.

Good luck!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
Those specs don't look to bad, not what we would spec but regardless of whoever you go w/ I would highly suggest getting a billet core especially if going w/ a comp cam. search up comp cam failures and you will quickly see why. We only use lunati billet cores for that exact reason.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
We have a cam I have comp grind for us that made 700 rwhp on an I 1 procharger, 2" headers, and 9 psi. Pump gas no meth. Those exhaust durations are too close for my liking.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
The second specs look a lot better for 8 lbs boost. First set looks pretty mild. Don't forget to use LS2 timing set with C5R chain. I've got 65K miles on my timing set with .620 lift. The chain looks good but I am installing a new one due to the miles and removing the cover isn't something I want to do again for a while.
If you select the second cam you may want to check out AFR 8019 springs. I haven't had any issues with them. They are good for .650 lift and the spring rate is just a little over 400.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

What's different on the LS2 timing set? And the C5R chain?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
the c5r is a katech timing chain its more durable and expensive but worth it for the long run and think its a reference to the ls2 dampener which can replace the ls3 tensioner as that's what I have with my cam.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #8
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
the c5r is a katech timing chain its more durable and expensive but worth it for the long run and think its a reference to the ls2 dampener which can replace the ls3 tensioner as that's what I have with my cam.
How much was it???
Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
How much was it???
The C5R timing chain will cost $149, most performance websites offer it as well as direct from Katech. I've seen one website offer it for $139. I just felt better getting it direct from Katech. I've only heard of one Katech C5R chain failing, EVER. That includes Corvette testing and racing.

The LS2 dampener has no moving parts and it reduces slack chain movement which causes wear and vibration. The LS3 "tensioner" on the other hand does not hold up well with larger cams. You can get the LS2 dampener for around $20 from several vendors. Texas Speed, Southwest, Lingenfelter, Janetty. All have parts to offer, just to name a few.

It's cheap insurance to do it now versus having to fix the mess if you break a timing chain.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Another vote for Lunati, give them a call and they will customize a cam for your LS3. The 230/230 from CompCams looks like a modest off the shelf grind.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you want to make sure you are getting a Katech chain. It comes in a zip lock bag with a Katech sticker. Not a red box. some places are advertising a C5r chain but its really just a IWIS with the same part number. and some dont even get that.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote