Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Do you have exp. of v6 to SS?

Hi, this might be long winded. There might be the possibility of trading my 2011 LS for a SS in the near future. I talked to my insurance and it would be less per month (for a 2011) or $11 more (for 2012). I don't think I'd go for a 2010 because I want the HUD. Doesnt' the steering wheel change in 2012 too? I like the weird one on my 2011!

My main question is what am I really looking at here and your opinion? My reasoning for the trade is I can get a lower interest rate if I make the trade, so if the payments are the same or close at least it's worth it overall. Insurance won't be much different so thats not really holding me back. I know the SS itself is more expensive but if it costs me the same (besides the fuel) per month, I might as well...

Basically, if you've gone from a v6 to a v8, what were the pros and cons for you? Was there a big difference for overall upkeep (I know the SS NEEDS full synth and premium but I run full and 50/50 mid-premium for my LS)
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I went from a 2011 1LTRS to my 1LE.My 1LT was my 1st nice car i have ever had,im 54.I have never had a V8,the V6 was a surprisingly fast car,but my 1LE is in a different time zone,however i did think it would be...just a little more,but i guess that's what headers/tune is for Doing what i did i would do it again in a heartbeat,so you will have no regrets.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a 1LT V6 several years ago. I kept telling myself I didn't need the V8, but every time I started her up, I was disappointed and reminded that I had the six. I'm not bashing it, but if it's not what you want, then it won't make you happy. I took a big hitting trading it in, but it was still the best Camaro-related decision I've ever made. The SS just puts a big smile on my face. So for me, it was totally worth it.

Oil is a bit more, but it's not my DD, so I only change it about once a year. The gas mileage is OK, but it can get pretty bad if you drive it hard. Again, not a DD, so I don't mind too much. However, modding can get expensive, LOL. When I first got the SS, I told myself that 400 HP was more than enough and I didn't need to mod anything.....well, needless to say, I changed my mind

The SS is by far the best and most powerful car I've ever owned. It's totally impractical and sits in the garage when there is snow on the ground, but man, it's one heck of a car.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I went from a 2011 1LTRS to my 1LE.My 1LT was my 1st nice car i have ever had,im 54.I have never had a V8,the V6 was a surprisingly fast car,but my 1LE is in a different time zone,however i did think it would be...just a little more,but i guess that's what headers/tune is for Doing what i did i would do it again in a heartbeat,so you will have no regrets.
Thank you for your advice! Glad to hear it worked out and you're happy. I'm really considering it, if its not a "big" decision price wise then I'll probably join you in the v8 club!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I had a 1LT V6 several years ago. I kept telling myself I didn't need the V8, but every time I started her up, I was disappointed and reminded that I had the six. I'm not bashing it, but if it's not what you want, then it won't make you happy. I took a big hitting trading it in, but it was still the best Camaro-related decision I've ever made. The SS just puts a big smile on my face. So for me, it was totally worth it.

Oil is a bit more, but it's not my DD, so I only change it about once a year. The gas mileage is OK, but it can get pretty bad if you drive it hard. Again, not a DD, so I don't mind too much. However, modding can get expensive, LOL. When I first got the SS, I told myself that 400 HP was more than enough and I didn't need to mod anything.....well, needless to say, I changed my mind

The SS is by far the best and most powerful car I've ever owned. It's totally impractical and sits in the garage when there is snow on the ground, but man, it's one heck of a car.
Thank you sir! I really love my v6, and until today was happy keeping it for a while, but I know it isn't a v8, and I don't want to mod it a lot. I realized I really wanted the SS but at the time it wasn't an option. I'll probably take a hit, but if it doesn't cost me more per month (I can get a better interest rate now) then it kind of didn't happen. I'll still be paying for a car over the next 5 years so it might as well be one I'm happy with. With the gas mileage (I know it isn't an econo car lol so it's not a make or break thing) how was it comparable to your v6, are four of the cylinders are null if you're under 4000 rpm roughly?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
One thing to keep in mind is that dealerships really want the V6. Due to the perceived or real cost savings in insurance, fuel and maintenance, many people are looking for them and may not be able to afford new. The dealerships are making mint on resale. If you do trade, make sure you get a great trade value, the dealership will when they sell it to the next person.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Switched from a 2011 2LT RS to a 2013 2SS RS.

Oil changes a little more, 2 extra quarts, gas more, and tires more I assume you have the 18inch ones.

Gas mileage, I lost 4mpg around town and 4-5 on the highway. Keep in mind the cost difference between Premium and regular. Here it is 30-40 cents more a gallon.

You will probably end up with SUMMER tires on the SS, you CANNOT drive them in the snow and cold, very dangerous. (seeing you are in Canada)

Snow tires, 20inch, here in the states run approx. $200-300 each I believe.

Those are the main items that come to mind.

Hope it helps.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that dealerships really want the V6. Due to the perceived or real cost savings in insurance, fuel and maintenance, many people are looking for them and may not be able to afford new. The dealerships are making mint on resale. If you do trade, make sure you get a great trade value, the dealership will when they sell it to the next person.
Thanks for the heads up! I basically bought mine for those reasons so I can understand why they're in demand. I'll have to keep that in mind as they try to hammer me
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
NewbieDIYer

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Blue Ray Metallic
I'm not sure how everyone here traded up from a 6 to an 8 so easily. i bought my 2013 2lt in may last year, and found a sweet 2013 2SS with only 1500 miles. it had one owner who traded it for a vette after the 1500mi. I went to go look at pricing etc etc and my monthly payment would have DOUBLED with this SS! When people say that their payment was only a little bit more, I just dont get it..
NewbieDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Switched from a 2011 2LT RS to a 2013 2SS RS.

Oil changes a little more, 2 extra quarts, gas more, and tires more I assume you have the 18inch ones.

Gas mileage, I lost 4mpg around town and 4-5 on the highway. Keep in mind the cost difference between Premium and regular. Here it is 30-40 cents more a gallon.

You will probably end up with SUMMER tires on the SS, you CANNOT drive them in the snow and cold, very dangerous. (seeing you are in Canada)

Snow tires, 20inch, here in the states run approx. $200-300 each I believe.

Those are the main items that come to mind.

Hope it helps.
Thanks Jim! I wouldn't even drive my 6 without winter tires lol, if I do bite, I'll try to hold off until it's bit nicer again, the snow isn't lasting now here thankfully.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieDIYer View Post
I'm not sure how everyone here traded up from a 6 to an 8 so easily. i bought my 2013 2lt in may last year, and found a sweet 2013 2SS with only 1500 miles. it had one owner who traded it for a vette after the 1500mi. I went to go look at pricing etc etc and my monthly payment would have DOUBLED with this SS! When people say that their payment was only a little bit more, I just dont get it..
Hmmm, that's the make or break for me at this point. I do know I'll get a way better interest rate this year though, but I only want a used one (preferably 2011) so I'm hoping it equals out in the end. I'm still really happy with my car, so it's got to be a good deal.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieDIYer View Post
It all depends. I actually had my V6 fully paid off, so I got money on the trade in and I think I put down an additional $5K or something. In effect, I had a huge down payment, which really helps keep the monthly payment low.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Well I went from a 2010 2LT/RS to a new 2013 ZL1. Haven't looked back. MPG sucks but that's not why I have it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Well I went from a 2010 2LT/RS to a new 2013 ZL1. Haven't looked back. MPG sucks but that's not why I have it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
Haha meh the smiles per gallon would be worth it I imagine, I'd buy a Civic for economy lol. That will be me next year, trading a SS for a ZL1...