Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Ivan915

Drives: 2014 SW 1SS 1LE
Cracked paint and nasty scratch

First let me apologize just in case some of you think I'm over exaggerating this but understand this is my dream car and I've only had it for 3 months. I was washing my car earlier today and while I was rinsing it I noticed what I thought was just dirt and boy was I wrong. I got a closer look and it was a nasty scratch and cracked paint. It appears someone's door slammed pretty hard against it, hard enough crack the paint. Needless to say I'm pretty upset about it
Attached Images

Ivan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
JambaJuiced

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
That is weak...wtf is wrong with people...total lack of respect for other people's property...

Sry that happened...
JambaJuiced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
1Slow6.2

Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
Damn bro. That's sucks. Words of advice park in the back away back. Sry about that

Sent from the side view mirror.. While watching a ruststang fall back.. Ultimately just giving up
1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Ivan915

I agree man, people should respect other peoples cars regardless of the year or model. At least be courteous to leave a note even if you don't have insurance.

And I always try and park away from everyone else. If I could I'd have eyes on the car 24/7 to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan915 View Post
First let me apologize just in case some of you think I'm over exaggerating this but understand this is my dream car and I've only had it for 3 months. I was washing my car earlier today and while I was rinsing it I noticed what I thought was just dirt and boy was I wrong. I got a closer look and it was a nasty scratch and cracked paint. It appears someone's door slammed pretty hard against it, hard enough crack the paint. Needless to say I'm pretty upset about it
It is hard to tell from the picture....but I don't think that is from a car door. Could it be from pulling in or out of a garage or pulling past something at a gas station etc?

I say that because it is long and most car doors leave smaller marks. the door would need to have a flat edges the same lenght as the mark which most do not. The second part is the cracked area further back. If a car door made that mark is should have stopped as the car gets wider toward the wheel well from the gill so the car door could not continue on the same arch. Being the widest part of the car and not a spot that most doors would line up with in a parking lot that is my guess.

Also it looks exactly like a mark my wife made on her car when pulling into our garage...

It sucks either way....

Matt
Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Ivan915

Here's a closer look. I live in an apartment complex with no garage so it wasn't that and definitely not me, no one else drives my car. Although you cant tell from the pic it's actually dented which leads me to believe it was a door or possibly a runaway shopping cart...
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
If it is a neighbor I would wander around the lot as something that bad should have transferred some of the white paint to the edge of there door.

Sorry to see that!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
MikeInAZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE, AGM
Hey man, sorry to see that happened, I would be seriously ill... and pissed ...

I have a tip for you:

1) Try to use a brand new, clean Magic Eraser and make sure it is damp to wet. 2) Use medium pressure on the scratched area to rub out some of the 'dark crap' that is on your white paint.
3) You should be able to see the darker marks come off and transfer to the Magic Eraser.

My wife had a new White Diamond Tahoe and backed into someone... I used this technique to get the 'crap' off, and it worked perfectly, didn't harm the clear coat or paint at all.

Again, the key is light to medium pressure on your 'rubbing action' to make sure you can 'lift' the marks off the surface of your paint. At least it won't be noticeable on the 'scratched portion' of your unfortunate incident.

Good luck!

Roto-Fab CAI, #8 Fuse Pull, 1LE Emblems, misc cosmetic changes, and a mod list that is a mile long.
MikeInAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Funny enough there is another thread today that a similar issue is being discussed. The part I struggle with is that you would think being on a car forum that people on here would understand that we really care for our rides. Apparently I'm wrong.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...44#post7532044

Really sorry this happened to you and I hope you can get it fixed without breaking the bank. I went through the same thing on my last car and now I park as far away as possible and make it as difficult as possible for others to park close to my car.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
unleaded28

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
I have and my car for a little over a year and personally I have given up worrying about scratches and dents and eventually I will just have everthing fixed and repainted. I have noticed with this camaro scratches,dents and paint chips just happen much more frequently than my previous cars. its like you sneeze on the thing and it leaves a dent+scratch. Maybe my car is just cursed IDK.
unleaded28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
Ivan915

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to try and buff out the scratches until I can get it in the shop. If it was just the scratches I wouldn't be as concerned but seeing that the dent actually caused the paint to crack it will eventually start to peel off etc...

Me and my neighbors get along pretty well and we stick to the same parking spot which I take the very last one and always back up so my driver side is facing the grassy area so I'm assuming this happened while I was out.

I use this as my DD and I do understand it will have chips and a little scratch here or there but this is more than just that. I've seen another Camaro owner's daughter open her door and hit my passenger door and made a tiny bitty dent and he apologized and offered to give me his insurance etc... and I pretty much told him not to worry about it, $h!t happens. But again this scratch and cracked paint is just way over the top.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
Looks like a bumper rub to me, like someone backing out and grazed the car
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
WelderNut

Drives: 12 1ss/rs hurst car black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan915 View Post
Here's a closer look. I live in an apartment complex with no garage so it wasn't that and definitely not me, no one else drives my car. Although you cant tell from the pic it's actually dented which leads me to believe it was a door or possibly a runaway shopping cart...
Appartment complex just a matter of time before more scratches appear. Get the hell out of there your car is to nice!
WelderNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Oh that's bad So sorry man. that will take a lot to fix too. Whites a bitch to color match but its new should be easier. looks like a long slight arch from a door slamming into it, not sure how you weather been but last few weeks here we have had 20-30 mph winds and gust to 40-50. That kinda wind catches an open car door and you are in for a huge dent. Happened to my brother in his Tahoe one day. He was sitting in it on business call, lady pulls in opens door wind takes it hits so hard he thought someone backed into him. lady closed he door started walking away he jumped out and told her get you insurance info out. she was shocked didn't think was big deal. Some people just have zero respect for other people stuff.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote