Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
17Camaro

Drives: Black Ghost
Turbo or SC ?

Hello guys I want to get boosted but I don't know on what system to go with I like both can you guys leav your opinions on wich you think is better also is it difficult to install thanks !
17Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
it seems like people have been getting more hp out of turbos
Old 04-23-2014, 02:27 AM   #3
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
hey 17 camaro I've been looking into forced induction systems as well for a while. In my own personal opinion the two best options as far as FI for our v6 camaros go are ipf on the supercharging front and IPS (faberege?) on the trubo side of things. There are however different type of superchargers, as far as our V6 camaros are concered we deal with the centrifugal type supercharger which essentially is and looks like a belt driven turbo system. The way the two systems deliver power are different. with a turbo it is power by exhaust gases and gives you nothing gains in performance however you must spool it up before you can feel boost when that RPM level is reached will depend on the kind of turbohousing you are running i believe the IPS kit runs the t3/t4 unit which is a very popular choice for a compromise of good response yet good power. With modern turbos,the right tune, and an appropriate set up turbo lag(time it takes for your turbo to spool and use boost) is pretty much all but eliminated(there will always be a bit). The IPF supercharger on the other hand is belt driven meaning the Boost is felt instantly and grows through out the RPM range. However the draw back to a supercharger is that since your essentially adding another belt driven system on your car the engine must use additional horsepower to turn the belt/pully the supercharger unit will be attached to. However this parasitic loss is nothing major and is easily made up for by the gains of a supercharger. Again all of this is my understanding of the two systems, there is an infinite amount of information on the www about this very topic and the best answer i can give you is to research more about turbos vs a centrifugal supercharger. Turbos and superchargers can both be made to be reliable both applications come as oem on certain makes and models the ZL1 and gtr for instance. However one thing you have to keep in mind is that these models where designed from the begining to handle forced induction. Our v6 were not. That being said the motor does seem to handle forced induction when kept in its limits(stock internals). Both IPS and IPF systems seem to be popular here the IPF system has been around longer and thus more people seem to have it but the twin turbo IPS family is starting to grow and for good reason. I personally will be opting for the IPF supercharger system for my v6 as it will fit my needs and goals more than a turbo. What kind of driving do you do? do you plan on going to the track? If so what kind of racing? That will help us in determining what set up is best for you.
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
17Camaro

Thanks guys my car is a daily I want to be on boost but somthing that won't break my engine I think 5 pounds is good thanks again.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I have the IPF SC system in my 2011 daily driver and am very happy with the maturity and quality of the system. Now that HPT has a tuning suite for both the LLT and LFX engines there will be more turbo and sc options coming available, most performance shops can do custom installs using components of your choosing.
I like the SC install since it is typically less evasive and can be removed if I decided to sell.
There is a local shop here looking at a pro charger option for v6 camaro. My favorite is whipple but this would require some serious investment.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
it seems like people have been getting more hp out of turbos
This says it all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
17Camaro

Thanks again guys but I'm going to get a sc it's a very clean install and it's driving by a pulley wich is more easy to work with and every body says there good as daily drivers so ipf sc is the way I'm going and plus I want to feel the power as soon as I step on the gas thanks again
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
if thats the case 17camaro i'd recommend going the supercharger route. The ipf supercharger provides i think around 6psi of boost and gives you a little more power than a stock ss in a straight line. The supercharger system will typically cost less than a equivelent turbo set up. However its your car man if you want turbos then by all means get turbos and daily drive it, people have done it before. And like i said earlier the quality of both the ipf supercharger kit and ips turbo kit really seem to be great. You should be happy with either!
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Camaro View Post
Thanks again guys but I'm going to get a sc it's a very clean install and it's driving by a pulley wich is more easy to work with and every body says there good as daily drivers so ipf sc is the way I'm going and plus I want to feel the power as soon as I step on the gas thanks again
The IPF system doesn't provide power the instant you press the pedal. It builds power across the RPM range because the faster the crank turns the faster the centrifugal charger spins. The faster it spins the more air it flows.

I would look around and see if anyone in your area has one. If so, ask them to take you for a drive to see if you like it. It's a good system but if you are looking for low-end power you aren't going to get much from a centri system. Turbos or nitrous are a better bet for low-end power.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Turbo has better low end torque, adjustable power, and higher power levels than a Cent. SC. 6psi on at turbo is greater than 6psi on a CSC. Every 3k miles a oil change needs to be done on a CSC. If a turbo kit is built right only regular car maintenance is required. But no FI system is will be 100% maintenance free or trouble free.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
Wraithier

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
17Camaro, I am also looking at/considering going boosted. I've tried reading up on both the IPF and IPS systems. Not trying to hijack, but I have a couple questions also regarding these.

First and foremost is what is the extra cost, or is there any associated extra cost. IE will it be ok if I decide I want either set up and decide I don't want to do any other upgrades? I have had my car for going on 8 months and I am still completely stock other than some minimal headlight mods, I still have a lot of factory warranty left. I'm not sure I'd want to go swapping gears or trannys if that would be required for either solution.

Secondly, and maybe the bigger issue; I'm not a mechanic. That's not to say I won't learn or try things, but not sure if there is the possibility of me getting into trouble and having to go a mechanic. I'd probably have this installed professionally, so I guess I'm more concerned with issues that may pop-up. I've read issues regarding spark plug gapping and cats that make me a little concerned. It seems like both are fairly reliable, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew I guess.
Wraithier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I have smog here in cali so i think an IPF S/C would work better so i can uninstall it, pass smog, then reinstall it all in the same weekend.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithier View Post
17Camaro, I am also looking at/considering going boosted. I've tried reading up on both the IPF and IPS systems. Not trying to hijack, but I have a couple questions also regarding these.

First and foremost is what is the extra cost, or is there any associated extra cost. IE will it be ok if I decide I want either set up and decide I don't want to do any other upgrades? I have had my car for going on 8 months and I am still completely stock other than some minimal headlight mods, I still have a lot of factory warranty left. I'm not sure I'd want to go swapping gears or trannys if that would be required for either solution.

Secondly, and maybe the bigger issue; I'm not a mechanic. That's not to say I won't learn or try things, but not sure if there is the possibility of me getting into trouble and having to go a mechanic. I'd probably have this installed professionally, so I guess I'm more concerned with issues that may pop-up. I've read issues regarding spark plug gapping and cats that make me a little concerned. It seems like both are fairly reliable, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew I guess.
Any FI is subject to problems down the road. Maintenance is required on them all. Pushing any NA engine that isn't optimized for FI is especially subject to problem somewhere.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Wraithier

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Any FI is subject to problems down the road. Maintenance is required on them all. Pushing any NA engine that isn't optimized for FI is especially subject to problem somewhere.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Maintenance is fine, changing belts, changing SC oil, tunes, that stuff I can handle. Do you mean anything bigger? I mean I know there is always potential for those big unexpected issues without FI, I just like to be as prepared as I can.

Any idea how much an install would run? Any potential problems there?
Wraithier is offline   Reply With Quote