Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
Cleaning and maintaining black wheels

So what are people using to keep their black wheels looking new and shiny? Mine has some dull spots and light scratches in the clear coat. I have the staggered Foose Legend wheels.
Attached Images

CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
To clear up the dull spots and scratches you need to polish them.

For cleaning, just use regular car wash soap and make sure to seal them to protect the paint.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I've been thinking about getting the Chrome Foose Legends. How do you like them?

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
CamaroLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I've been thinking about getting the Chrome Foose Legends. How do you like them?
I absolutely love them!!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLS View Post
I absolutely love them!!
That's great to hear! How are you staggered? I've been debating on staggering or doing the same all the way around so I can rotate my tires since I have a Posi.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
CamaroLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
That's great to hear! How are you staggered? I've been debating on staggering or doing the same all the way around so I can rotate my tires since I have a Posi.
Yes. 20x10 rear and 20x8.5 front
Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Caring for them is just like caring for black paint...and is a full time job!

They are clear coated, so you'll need to polish them to remove defects, and then seal/wax them to protect them and make cleaning much easier.

Cleaning can be done with just Car Wash Shampoo. If you stay on top of them and seal them regularly, you won't really need a wheel cleaner for them.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Having some actual experience with those specific wheels a little advice:

MHT (who manufactures foose wheels among others) uses notoriously little paint to cover the wheel faces, so if you do polish, keep it mild to avoid strike thru. I've seen more than a few sets be buffed thru on the center high spot of the spokes by over zealous polishing. Even if you don't strike thru its easy to polish them to the point where they are thin and in direct/instense sunlight they'll appear more brown than black on the high spots.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Is there are tool you would recommend for polishing clear coated rims. One those mothers balls? Hand polish? one the Cotton cones? some great tool i have no clue about?

Also do you know what type finish is on the 1LE rims? Clear coat? Single stage? Powder coat?? and what to use on them to clean and polish.

Sorry!

Last edited by trashmanssd; 05-29-2014 at 07:50 AM.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:54 AM   #10
CamaroLS

How to choose which product to use? All these companies say they make the best product and that it lasts the longest! So which one is better? Adam's, Chemical Guys.....
Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
How to choose which product to use? All these companies say they make the best product and that it lasts the longest! So which one is better? Adam's, Chemical Guys.....
I don't think you'll get a bad product from any of the big players. They are all miles above what you can buy in an auto parts store.

I would truthfully just shop around, and get the best deal from either.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
DylanVK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Is there are tool you would recommend for polishing clear coated rims. One those mothers balls? Hand polish? one the Cotton cones? some great tool i have no clue about?
All depends on what you're working on and how severe the defect is you're attempting to polish out. If they're in good shape, with no major defects a hand polishing is all you need... if you've got scratches and larger issues to remedy then using a drill attachment or compact polishing tool of some sort will be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Also do you know what type finish is on the 1LE rims? Clear coat? Single stage? Powder coat?? and what to use on them to clean and polish.
Clear coat. 99% of factory OEM wheels are going to be a clear coat finish, to that end you can use a product designed for the paint on the rest of your car to polish the wheels. No need to invest in any special 'wheel polish' since you're dealing with the same type of surface as any other painted panel on the car.

Quote:
"BEST" can be defined in so many ways and means something different to everyone. I recommend doing some reading - here and on other forums - and trying what you can get your hands on. If you enjoy the hobby of detailing half the fun is trying different products and seeing what kind of results you get.

Stick to reputable companies, with good customer service, and product actually in stock to ship you before they take your money

Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
Clear coat. 99% of factory OEM wheels are going to be a clear coat finish, to that end you can use a product designed for the paint on the rest of your car to polish the wheels. No need to invest in any special 'wheel polish' since you're dealing with the same type of surface as any other painted panel on the car.
My detailer states that the OEM Camaro wheels that are black are powder-coated. He says that he has confirmed that with the OEM supplier. Because of that, he says, they should NOT be polished, but just sealed instead. Thoughts?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
DylanVK

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
My detailer states that the OEM Camaro wheels that are black are powder-coated. He says that he has confirmed that with the OEM supplier. Because of that, he says, they should NOT be polished, but just sealed instead. Thoughts?
I'd be shocked if they were indeed powder coated, it would be a first for me as factory wheels have been painted and cleared for as long as I can remember, but even if they were powdercoat can be polished just like paint can - its just substantially harder to correct as the material is much harder.

Obviously if they are defect free then just seal them up and be done with it, but if there are imperfections or they look dull they should be polished first.