Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
another comp cam issue

So I pulled my lingenfelter cam tonight and go to put in my brian tooley stage 4 na cam and it won't go. It scored the shit out of all my cam bearings and would get stuck. My old cam slides right in and out. There is definitely a flaw in it. Going to attempt to get a hold of them tomorrow. Seems like if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Another pitfall of modding cars. Things happen. I hope this is not a trend with Comp. I remember not too many years ago there was an issue with their 918 springs breaking.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
These are the posts that are stopping me from caming my car . When you figure what caused it ,you need to post it .
Old 07-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Towlie

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
There have been a few other failures with those cams, some of the more believable speculation has pointed out that their heat treatment process is messed up in some way. A cam that is to big in diameter to fit when it is speced to a particular engine says to me that either their grinding process is out of spec or it was improperly heat treated and warped. This is just speculation and I may be completely wrong, maybe one of the cam gurus can chime in.
Towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I returned my comp cam and went with Cam Motion. They use a higher quality steel.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
ttshovel

Yeah I can get the cam 2 journals in and the third binds I can't even get the last one in. I hope I can get a replacement cam by Tuesday or Wednesday my dyno day is friday. And now I'm dead in the water. I still need to change the oil pump, chain and switch to a ls2 damper but I can't do that stuff without the cam. Hopefully his customer service is good!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Most likely bent in shipping. Doesn't take much of a knock to bend it and the boxes they come in have zero cushion/support.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you said your bearings are scored. Im not a expert but I think you need new bearings now.
I will not use Comp again. my cam was tight and it whines. They said they would re polish but not pay to take it out and replace it. They claim it wont do any harm. I dynoed way below what I should have for the mods. My tuner had the same problem in december. Customer install could not get it in. Tuner could not get it in. Sent cam back to comp and a month later they sent out a new cam. Cam journals were to big. Same core as yours. Mine was also bought in december. I dont have a place I can take it out and leave it for a week much less a month and in 2 months the car has to be in storage were I will not be able to work on it. I figure motors now gone anyway since if the bearings are damaged the motors got to come apart. so might as well drive it till it blows. then Ill have to sell my Harley and in a year or so maybe I can put a 427 in it. If the cam bearings are damaged the motor has to be completely disassembled and rebuilt. Crank has to come out to put the bearings in. I want to do a 427 so not worth it to rebuild the 6.2l.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 07-27-2014 at 04:39 AM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Just had a brian tooley cam put in my car, car should go on the dyno this week so I am keeping my finger crossed.

2012 L99, whipple, Roto-Fab, Stainless Power headers, ZL1 fuel pump, cat delete.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Had a Comp Cam for the last 2 1/2 years with no issues.....knock on wood!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Why is comp suddenly having so many issues? During my 4th gen days and working at a speed shop, we never had such issues with dozens of jobs we did.
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
These are the posts that are stopping me from caming my car . When you figure what caused it ,you need to post it .
+1

I might wait a while for a used ZL1 or CTSV to come down in price and get rid of my SS instead. I'm on the fence every other day on it because I want the raw straight motor power and the cammed sound. Plus once I dig into the engine I plan on keeping it forever. But threads like this scare me off.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
ya If i had to do over. get it installed at a shop that specializes in LS motors. comps quality control is sh*t. befor putting a cam in you need to check the size of the bearing journals of the cam and the size of the bearings installed. and the straightness of the cam. you would need a micrometer and a bore gauge long enough to reach the last bearing. The people who had no problems were lucky.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
ttshovel

I was told by a local shop that has seen this a couple times, that if I run THIS cam then I would wipe the bearings. But it would be fine with a new cam, as if there is a burr it will clearance itself and the cam oiling is last in the whole oiling system. Idk if there is any truth to that, but my old cam spins a littel hard but it cam be spun pretty freely so I hope I'm ok