Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
100k on my stock bottom end.

A few days ago my 5th Gen turned 100k, today it turned 100k with a Maggie TVS2300 on it. Back in May of 09 I took delivery of my ABM 2SS and quickly proceed to modify it. The last week of May '09 Magnuson finished installing the supercharger on it.
Over the rest of '09 and early '10 I continued to build it up, WCCH heads, ADM custom cam and fuel system, Snow Performance Meth, Dynatech and Magnaflow exhaust, and a few other goodies along the way.
When I started out with this project my hope was to get 50k before a rebuild would be needed but 50k came and went as did the new 75k goal. Along the way I tuned it up to as mush as 713 rwhp with over 10 lbs of boost for awhile. As I passed the 75k mark I detuned it for longevity, all this time on the original Stock bottom end. I can say I am very happy to have made it this long. These days I drive around at a modest 9lbs and at the last dyno day just below 650 rwhp. A new forged stroker is in the works for this winters project but till then I will continue to daily drive and track it.
My tuner deserves a lot of the credit for keeping it safe even when I was asking for more. I have been to over 50 track days in over 5 years, drag racing, road courses and auto crossing and it has been a blast.

Im wondering if there are any other 5th Gens out there with over 100k on their original stock bottom end on boost.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Wow, that's a testament to just how well these cars are put together. Great looking car BTW

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Awesome man! I am 89,000 with my kenne bell setup but looks like you pushed the limits more than me and you still have a good running car lol

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
A few days ago my 5th Gen turned 100k, today it turned 100k with a Maggie TVS2300 on it. Back in May of 09 I took delivery of my ABM 2SS and quickly proceed to modify it. The last week of May '09 Magnuson finished installing the supercharger on it.
Over the rest of '09 and early '10 I continued to build it up, WCCH heads, ADM custom cam and fuel system, Snow Performance Meth, Dynatech and Magnaflow exhaust, and a few other goodies along the way.
When I started out with this project my hope was to get 50k before a rebuild would be needed but 50k came and went as did the new 75k goal. Along the way I tuned it up to as mush as 713 rwhp with over 10 lbs of boost for awhile. As I passed the 75k mark I detuned it for longevity, all this time on the original Stock bottom end. I can say I am very happy to have made it this long. These days I drive around at a modest 9lbs and at the last dyno day just below 650 rwhp. A new forged stroker is in the works for this winters project but till then I will continue to daily drive and track it.
My tuner deserves a lot of the credit for keeping it safe even when I was asking for more. I have been to over 50 track days in over 5 years, drag racing, road courses and auto crossing and it has been a blast.

Im wondering if there are any other 5th Gens out there with over 100k on their original stock bottom end on boost.
That's impressive

Curious though as to the other aspects of the car? Axle's, trans, etc....

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
That's awesome
Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
urr2slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
That's impressive

Curious though as to the other aspects of the car? Axle's, trans, etc....
Centerforce DYAD twin, stock original M6 serviced every 15k with RedLine D4, original driveshaft, diff and axles, rear diff serviced with Torco SGO oil every 10k. Driveshaft bolts replaced 3 times for twisting and stretching, rear hubs have failed as well and right axle just now starting to leak grease from the joint, not the inner boot. I also had the a/c compressor fail early on. Otherwise the car has been real solid. Didn't expect the trans or axles to live as long as they have but I don't abuse it either. I drive it hard but I take care of my equipment.
Oh and 12 sets of rear tires and 7 sets of fronts, .
Old 09-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Centerforce DYAD twin, stock original M6 serviced every 15k with RedLine D4, original driveshaft, diff and axles, rear diff serviced with Torco SGO oil every 10k. Driveshaft bolts replaced 3 times for twisting and stretching, rear hubs have failed as well and right axle just now starting to leak grease from the joint, not the inner boot. I also had the a/c compressor fail early on. Otherwise the car has been real solid. Didn't expect the trans or axles to live as long as they have but I don't abuse it either. I drive it hard but I take care of my equipment.
Oh and 12 sets of rear tires and 7 sets of fronts, .
Sounds like you've had good luck but also sounds like you do your part!

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
urr2slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Sounds like you've had good luck but also sounds like you do your part!
I think a combination of luck, above average maintenance and even though I drive it hard, I try not to abuse the equipment.
A lot of credit goes to my tuner as well.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
striker1703
striker

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I think a combination of luck, above average maintenance and even though I drive it hard, I try not to abuse the equipment.
A lot of credit goes to my tuner as well.
Congrats on making past 100k miles in the Arizona heat . Very impressive, gives me some hope my car could last that long without any major issues.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Awesome!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
urr2slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1703 View Post
Congrats on making past 100k miles in the Arizona heat . Very impressive, gives me some hope my car could last that long without any major issues.
Do lots of maintenance, don't abuse it and as long as its tuned well you should be okay. I change my oil every 5k and go over the entire car with a torque wrench and check all fluids and filters.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
urr2slo

Spent the weekend doing a lot of scheduled maintenance and decided to do a compression test on it while I was changing the plugs.
Currently sitting on 102k, change all the oils, engine, trans, diff, p/s, and brake/clutch fluid, and serviced the coolant in both the radiator and heat exchanger. New plugs and wires as these had 60k on them. Plugs that came out looked great, wires were starting to deteriorate, but had not failed yet, good timing.
I have 5 cylinders sitting at 195 psi, 2 at 190 and 1 at 180 psi. A new stock engine with this gauge on a LS3 reads around 200 psi. Less than 10% loss since new and all cylinders are within 10% of each other so I'm pretty happy. I was expecting a larger loss after 100k @ 10 lbs of boost on the stock bottom end.
Seems to be running slightly better with the freshening up and ready for a 1000 mile road trip to So-Cal this weekend.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #13
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Spent the weekend doing a lot of scheduled maintenance and decided to do a compression test on it while I was changing the plugs.
Currently sitting on 102k, change all the oils, engine, trans, diff, p/s, and brake/clutch fluid, and serviced the coolant in both the radiator and heat exchanger. New plugs and wires as these had 60k on them. Plugs that came out looked great, wires were starting to deteriorate, but had not failed yet, good timing.
I have 5 cylinders sitting at 195 psi, 2 at 190 and 1 at 180 psi. A new stock engine with this gauge on a LS3 reads around 200 psi. Less than 10% loss since new and all cylinders are within 10% of each other so I'm pretty happy. I was expecting a larger loss after 100k @ 10 lbs of boost on the stock bottom end.
Seems to be running slightly better with the freshening up and ready for a 1000 mile road trip to So-Cal this weekend.
What are you doing while you're out here? What plug wires did you put in?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
urr2slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
What are you doing while you're out here? What plug wires did you put in?
Going to Cruisin for a Cure on Sat. Going to WCCH to drop off some heads on Friday and getting my car aligned.

Taylor ThunderVolt 10.4 wires. They are awesome, I install them on all LS engines now with headers.