Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Why is 93 octaine so expensive?!?

I'm sure many of you have noticed as I have that premium gas is costing a lot more than regular these days. I remember a few years ago mid-grade was 10 cents more than regular and premium was another 10 cents around here. Now I just paid 60 cents more than regular yesterday! Below is an article citing at least part of the reason why the spread has grown.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...-the-pump.html
Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
So true about getting gouged a bit! Try using 100 octane race gas. $8.99/gal!!!
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Agent 31

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS Ashen Grey
Try Winn-Dixie's fuel perks, I'm up to 31¢ a gallon in savings just from buying groceries.
Agent 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenicess View Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy 93 octane and then just add a couple bottles of Torco?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenicess View Post
Go through 3-4 drums of VP105 and 6-8 drums of VP M-1(Methanol) during a dirt track race season. Yeah around $3,500, doesn't include the Diesel for the truck to pull both cars there either.

VP is jacking people over $15 a gallon for their CHP fuel designed for the 602 and 604 crates in the racing world. Talk about insanity for fuel prices.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
it's a lot to due with refining cost and the steps need to refine the higher octane
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Steven13

Drives: 13' Black SS
what are your gas prices? for all three grades?
Steven13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
It is based on demand. Almost all passenger vehicles use regular. It is subsidized through other grades. This is how it works:

1.) Diesel is the cheapest to produce, but because most that buy diesel are large trucks, often owned by companies with deeper pockets than end users in passenger vehicles, it is marked up so regular grade can be marked down. Diesel is cheaper to produce than regular, but costs more at the pump than premium. This is a subsidy - tax the companies with deeper pockets to keep it lower for the commoners.

2.) Plus and premium are produced in far less quantity than diesel and regular. Their prices are marked up to further subsidize regular gasoline because if you are purchasing a car that runs on higher octane fuel, it's assumed you can afford it.

Remember 6 years ago when oil went to $150/barrel and airlines were going under and merging left and right? What do you think happened?

Don't you find it funny that when oil was $100/barrel last summer, regular gasoline was $3.60/gal and diesel was $4/gal, but at $150/barrel in 2008, regular was $3.75/gal and diesel was $6/gal? They pushed ALL the costs on diesel and jet fuel so they could massively subsidize the end user or there would have been an economic crash the size of the Great Depression. They severely subsidized regular grade fuel and in the process put tons of airlines and contractors out of business. They decided it was better to put a handful of companies out of business than the entire world.

That's how it works, folks. Want to be subsidized? Fall in line and buy 87 octane.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
That's why I stick to 91 to try and save a bit. That will still keep your octane tables at the higher level.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
it's a lot to due with refining cost and the steps need to refine the higher octane
Absolutely.

The quality/cost of the inputs to the refinery [generally speaking] dictate the cost of the end products.

Different qualities of crude produce different outputs (and different VOLUMES of outputs)

Since there has been a boom in the shale plays, the quality of the crude that refiners are bringing in has changed pretty dramatically. Refiners on the gulf coast that, for years (decades?) brought in shitty crude from south/cent America. Now, they're getting better quality shale crude, and their refineries are still configured for the gross shit. This causes some inefficiencies, so they run models that will allow them to [kind of] adjust for the differences in quality, but sometimes, when you make a big jump in quality, that means adding new equipment (distillation columns, crackers, and all kinds of other shit that I can't recall at the moment). The reason they don't just buy it and change things up? It's SUPER expensive. The equip costs $$, and then the refinery has to either stop, or dramatically reduce the amount that is processed in order to upgrade. This 'shutting down' of sorts is incredibly costly from a lost revenue perspective.

Will they eventually adjust? Maybe. I'm sure some of them will. But there is also an advantage to the current setup - all that shitty crude that is up in Canada is PRIME TIME for these gulf coast refineries. And it's cheap as shit. And most of the refineries (Gulf Coast area) are already configured for it. That's why they are pushing so hard for this Keystone XL pipe to be approved.

Forgive me if I've misstated anything, or left out too much. While I work in the industry, it's been a while since I've dealt with refining economics, and there is ALOT that goes into it...
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I paid $3.08 per gallon for 93 octane this morning. That's pretty cheap if you ask me.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
It's expensive because it prevents engine knocking by withstanding greater compression ration prior to detonation. This prevents damages to your engine while maintaining performance.

You generally don't need to run anything greater than 89 unless indicated in your vehicle owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
I'm sure many of you have noticed as I have that premium gas is costing a lot more than regular these days. I remember a few years ago mid-grade was 10 cents more than regular and premium was another 10 cents around here. Now I just paid 60 cents more than regular yesterday! Below is an article citing at least part of the reason why the spread has grown.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...-the-pump.html
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpelosi View Post
I paid $3.08 per gallon for 93 octane this morning. That's pretty cheap if you ask me.
That's a hell of a lot cheaper than what 91 Octane is here in Los Angeles. Obviously I understand LA is a hotspot for high gas prices, but I think we're hovering between $3.55-3.75 a gallon. With all things considered though, as long as gas prices aren't as bad as what they are in Europe, I don't think we have anything to complain about. Gas prices in Europe can range from $6-$10 a gallon, but those in Saudi Arabia of course are near 50cents a gallon. It's all about where you live.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
thechileman

Drives: 2013 Silver SS Convertible
This may be sacrilege, but I have always run regular in my '13 ss. I am sure it has dropped down to the more conservative mapping, but it is still plenty fast for me, and I save a few bucks every time we fill up. If I ever want to take her to test and tune night at the strip, I'll fill her up with premium, and do a fuse pull.
thechileman is offline   Reply With Quote