Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Scratch - Need Advice

Ok, so on the 2nd day I had Christine I was gently touching the car (yeah I was feeling her up, so what) and my stupid watch just caught the trunk lid with the watch edge and left a scratch.

I could not feel the scratch with my fingernail so I figured it would just buff out when I did washes/waxes. It's still there! I am not well schooled in scratch repair. I have tried to get some pictures but black cars are not the easiest to get pics on, especially in the garage.

Advice is requested on best, most gentle way, to try and remedy this scratch. Again, I can't catch it with a fingernail so I don't think it can be too too bad.
Attached Images

"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Can you describe what you did to attempt to repair? More detail the better. That looks nasty in pics but if you truly can't catch it with a nail it can be fixed.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Can you describe what you did to attempt to repair? More detail the better. That looks nasty in pics but if you truly can't catch it with a nail it can be fixed.
I was pretty mad I did it and rather than get fixated on it when I just got the car I let it go.

So far I have just done the usual washing and waxing. Recent Collinite 845 application. In the Meguiars kit I bought there is a "polishing compound" but I have yet to really read up on it.

I know, in regular light or sunlight it's tough to see that scratch, but with the phone camera flash it's very visible. I cannot catch my nail in the scratch so I am a little surprised it did not buff out just during washing/drying/waxing. What is the next level of going after this? Thanks for your help man, was hoping you would see this thread.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 11-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Muscle Car Lover

Just to elaborate, I have not done anything focused on removal/correction.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Ah ok. To remove that you're going to need a machine polisher, some pads and some polishes.

Of course, you can always take it to a detailer as well if you don't want to jump into this yourself. But its truly not that hard and if you buy all the gear you'll be equipped to fix any future damage as well.

The hardest part of polishing is getting over the fear that you'll screw up. Once you dive in, it's not rocket science.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
That's weird. It can't be felt, but its thru the black into the white?
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Ah ok. To remove that you're going to need a machine polisher, some pads and some polishes.

Of course, you can always take it to a detailer as well if you don't want to jump into this yourself. But its truly not that hard and if you buy all the gear you'll be equipped to fix any future damage as well.

The hardest part of polishing is getting over the fear that you'll screw up. Once you dive in, it's not rocket science.
Well I would gladly pay you to fix it, but Michigan is a long drive

Can I get your recommendation on a machine polisher (not too crazy a model) and what kind of pads (rated by abrasive level? Not sure) and the least aggressive polish to start with? Thanks my friend, always appreciate the help you offer here.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
Dude I know, it's bizarre!!! To be fair in regular light or sunlight it's can be very hard to see it, but on the camera flash it looks like a full on cut to the metal. I swear you cannot catch a fingernail in the thing.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Homer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Dude I know, it's bizarre!!! To be fair in regular light or sunlight it's can be very hard to see it, but on the camera flash it looks like a full on cut to the metal. I swear you cannot catch a fingernail in the thing.
It looks deep enough for bondo !
Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
I thought the same thing but I'm presuming the camera flash is just really exaggerating it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Well I would gladly pay you to fix it, but Michigan is a long drive

Can I get your recommendation on a machine polisher (not too crazy a model) and what kind of pads (rated by abrasive level? Not sure) and the least aggressive polish to start with? Thanks my friend, always appreciate the help you offer here.
My recommendation for the beginner machine polisher is either the Porter Cable 7424xp or the Griots Garage 6" random orbital polisher. They are nearly identical machines, the Griots has a better warranty but is usually a bit more expensive.

Pads I recommend Buff and Shine Microfiber pads. Check out CarPro's website. The exact type and quantity will depend on whether you want to stock up to fix this scratch, or to have what you need to machine polish entire cars.

Polishes the only one you need is Menzerna FG400 for now.

Of course the above is only my opinion, there are a million products you can use to get the same result. Once you get an idea, post up your shopping lists here and we will see if you're missing anything.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
It looks deep enough for bondo !
NOOOOOOO!!!!

I need to spend some time trying to fix this, I think it can be corrected.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Homer2

Im sure it can be. Has the watch been destroyed yet?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #13
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
I thought the same thing but I'm presuming the camera flash is just really exaggerating it.

My recommendation for the beginner machine polisher is either the Porter Cable 7424xp or the Griots Garage 6" random orbital polisher. They are nearly identical machines, the Griots has a better warranty but is usually a bit more expensive.

Pads I recommend Buff and Shine Microfiber pads. Check out CarPro's website. The exact type and quantity will depend on whether you want to stock up to fix this scratch, or to have what you need to machine polish entire cars.

Polishes the only one you need is Menzerna FG400 for now.

Of course the above is only my opinion, there are a million products you can use to get the same result. Once you get an idea, post up your shopping lists here and we will see if you're missing anything.
Ok will do some looking/shopping tonight.

Guys I took the pictures WAY UP close (scratch is 1/2 inch) and I think the flash makes this look way worse than it is, well I hope. If I screwed up a trunk lid with a glance of a watch then that sucks ass big time. Do they sell new trunk lid pieces color matched? I can buy that.

Anyways, I am going to fix this.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Im sure it can be. Has the watch been destroyed yet?
I still have it, but I take the watch off and my wedding ring when I wash or wax or work on the car