Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
BadAquaBluSS
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS/RS, Red 85 Z28
Hellion New top mount twin turbo

Hey guys check this out

SEMA 2014: Hellion Boosts the 5th Gen Camaro with a New TT Kit

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/sema-c...-a-new-tt-kit/

Wow!!!!!
BadAquaBluSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
I think this set up is taking a step backwards compared to the AGP design.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Looks cool though
Old 11-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Agreed but you would be surprised how many buy top mount blowers for looks, or don't consider turbos because you can't see them. They just want show cars and be able to pop the hood at shows or parking lots to brag.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Why?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Unreal

I'm personally not a fan of top mount welded up headers for any street car. Race car, sure, street car no thanks. Too many heat issues, wires melting, rubber cracking, belts snapping, overheating, etc. I rather have turbos placed somewhere meant to be hot, with the proper shielding, and I much rather use cast parts. I had 3 different welded up manifolds on my DSM, they all cracked sooner or later. The cast stuff just last.

Without seeing this kit in person, I can't say much but share my experience with other top mount kits. I know AGP put 25k miles on the shop car before ever even selling a single kit, revising and testing. Their goal was always OEM level turbo systems, not show, not 100% max out performance, but something someone can put on and use for 100k miles turbo free while still making killer power.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
old motorhead

I'm not a fan of welded up headers on turbo systems either. Been there, done that. Have to say that I'm not a fan of mounting turbos anywhere but on the top side of the engine either. ANY turbo system on a car, boat, truck, tractor, airplane, ship, etc will have the turbo(s) mounted up high...if there's room.

As stated, like any turbo system, looks really don't count for much. The turbos are in the "right" place as far as I'm concerned, but there's way more to it than that. We'll see how this system holds up once it's been around for a while.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
So where did they put the fuse box??

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
BadAquaBluSS
H-Town Camaro Club

Just thought it would be cool to see the differences but I actually like the low mount turbos as there more stealthy, have a lot of Mustang friends have a lot of Mustang friends, who don't need to know what their up against, LOL

Ford guys are like Cowboys fans, cool people but their team sucks!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
BadAquaBluSS
H-Town Camaro Club

I decided to go with the kit from AGP, I had a chance to talk to Kevin on my drive to New Orleans about his kit, really cool guy almost felt like I needed to fly over there to have a beer with him, did not rush me at all and gave me extra information on my build, made recommendations on my set up, I have never had that from a company before, last guy I'll talk to about forced induction told me that I would get better bang for the buck using an SLP supercharger system, and that the twin turbo system didn't have room for growth? Thanks Kevin @ AGP
Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
I'm not a fan of welded up headers on turbo systems either. Been there, done that. Have to say that I'm not a fan of mounting turbos anywhere but on the top side of the engine either. ANY turbo system on a car, boat, truck, tractor, airplane, ship, etc will have the turbo(s) mounted up high...if there's room.

As stated, like any turbo system, looks really don't count for much. The turbos are in the "right" place as far as I'm concerned, but there's way more to it than that. We'll see how this system holds up once it's been around for a while.

Those dummys over at Porsche didn't get the memo. In fact, turbos mounted just below the exhaust runners is by far the predominant way the oem's go. Also putting the hot parts up into the engine bay rather that down in the heat shielded exhaust tunnel is not really the right place to put them.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Those dummys over at Porsche didn't get the memo. In fact, turbos mounted just below the exhaust runners is by far the predominant way the oem's go. Also putting the hot parts up into the engine bay rather that down in the heat shielded exhaust tunnel is not really the right place to put them.
If there were room to put it up higher, I'm sure they would.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Unreal

So why is higher better? Why is that a good spot? I don't even want to know what it is like changing plugs, and how close the downpipes/etc get to plastic/rubber parts.

Any factory turbo car/truck/etc is going to have them placed where they can deal with the heat from the turbos, manifolds, downpipes.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
local hometown hero John "Fireball" Urist he won't steer you wrong.

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote