Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
ThatGuy25

Drives: 2011 V6 Camaro Ls
New To Winter Conditions

Hello,

I've lived in Florida all of my live and for job reasons I had to move to Kansas. It's snowed here a couple times and it's been cold as balls (15 F).

My questions is: What are some tips and tricks I could do or things I should be aware of during the winter times to protect Bertha?

Thanks dudes (and dudettes)
ThatGuy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Get a dedicated set of winter tires and some Weathertech floor mats. Have the winter tires on a dedicated set of rims so you don't have to mess with mounting and dismounting. eBay a set of OEM rims or get a tire package from Tirerack. My daily is a GTO with Dunlop Winter Sport form late Nov to April 1. Goes like hell

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Get a dedicated set of winter tires and some Weathertech floor mats. Have the winter tires on a dedicated set of rims so you don't have to mess with mounting and dismounting. eBay a set of OEM rims or get a tire package from Tirerack. My daily is a GTO with Dunlop Winter Sport form late Nov to April 1. Goes like hell
Think he is looking for more of the cosmetic side of things.

At the very least, a sealant and wax. A PPF would be very beneficial in your conditions. I believe there is a stickied thread at the top of this forum for winter protection, read that.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Make sure you get winter tires like the first guy said.

As far as exterior help, here is what I have done/am doing and so far seems pretty good.

- Get Xpel or equivalent to protect against sand and debris chips from winter roads. Also helps all other times of the year

- Apply a good sealer/wax that's tough. I went with Collinite 845 (you can find my application thread) and so far it's worked as good as advertised. Should be good for 3 winter months.

- Try to get the car to a wash bay and just rinse the car off from time to time and get the under carriage. You can drive through those touch-less automated washes that do the under carriage but select just a rinse or the chemicals from the wash will strip your wax most likely. There is a touch-less place near me that actual attendants run and I just ask for an all water rinse and under carriage rinse and it's fine.

- Not sure what else you/we can do. I bought the sno-brum which is a cool styrofoam snow brush to clear snow from the car if it gets covered but mine is garaged most times.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
jim's2ssrs

Drives: 2011 2SS RS LS3 Rally Yellow
Get a cheap POS 4x4 for the bad days and keep the Camaro in the garage.
jim's2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Let your car warm up before you drive it,
Drive nice and easy, especially if it is wet or snowy,
do not allow yourself to relax and get comfortable, as the second you do these cars can literally go sideways on you.