Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
soflo

Drives: chevy
Is this a good deal on this 2015?

Whats up guys, I'm new here and new to the Camaro life. I currently own a 2011 Jeep Wrangler with 39K miles. I owe $21K on the jeep and my payments are around $400. I financed the jeep pre owned at 9%, not knowing I would have gotten a better deal on a new car.

A local dealership has a few 2015 Camaro's at $19K, 20% off. brand new. But they are the LS model, guessing that is the BASE model?

http://www.davidmauschevrolet.com/ne...a606a1286f.htm

Do these cars hold their re sell values? What do you think I should do?

I don't like driving my jeep. Its slow... I never use 4x4, 14-15 max MPG... gas hog.
soflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
It's not an amazing deal, but it's a pretty cheap starting point. The key for you is what you can get for your trade in. You definitely want to get out of a 9% loan but your looking to be 5k upside down on the jeep. If you look at it that way your paying 19k+2k(tax, fees)+5k(jeep) so you're getting an LS for 26k out of the door. Seems like a bad idea because if you want to trade your LS in 4 years you prob get 14k. You gotta dig yourself out of this hole and a new base model camaro is not the solution. Look to sell your jeep private party and find a great deal on a used SS.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
20% off on a new 2015? A new camaro for less than 20k?

Pretty good price, IMO.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
It's not an amazing deal, but it's a pretty cheap starting point. The key for you is what you can get for your trade in. You definitely want to get out of a 9% loan but your looking to be 5k upside down on the jeep. If you look at it that way your paying 19k+2k(tax, fees)+5k(jeep) so you're getting an LS for 26k out of the door. Seems like a bad idea because if you want to trade your LS in 4 years you prob get 14k. You gotta dig yourself out of this hole and a new base model camaro is not the solution. Look to sell your jeep private party and find a great deal on a used SS.
This is better math than what I got, but like the OP I was just done with my prior ride. You have to pay to play. No regrets!

My only advice -- If you're not sure even after a test drive, then don't do it. Focus on getting rid of the Jeep and then find a new ride. Try to get as much of that gap made up, even through sending in some extra money each month towards the principle on the loan (contact the bank for the correct method of doing this, simply adding more to the monthly payment may not accomplish anything other than reducing next month's payment). That 9% loan has already killed you assuming you've had the Jeep for a few years. A lot of your monthly payments up to now have been put towards interest, which is why you're still so far in the hole/upside-down.

The LS (and the 2LS with automatic transmission, more efficient rear axle differential) are 'base' models. They're still plenty peppy with the 323hp V6. If you're looking for raw power, then the SS/V8 is the way to go. They're still better than your Jeep on gas. If there's any 20% off SS deals that might eat deeper into your gap on the existing loan, shaving down that $4-5k being rolled into the new loan.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
My two cents...

Don't get the LS because it's the cheapest Camaro you can get. Get it because it's a Camaro that satisfies what you are looking for in a Camaro. Otherwise, just like you are unsatisfied with the Jeep, you may be thinking you should have gotten an SS...then you are in the same boat you are in now.

Not knocking the LS, as I'm 90% happy with my 2LS's trim level.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
JessicasCamaro

Drives: 2018 1SS
If you take the plunge be sure to shop interest rates. As mentioned above, the cheaper the rate the faster you can pay down that balance and get out of the negative equity. Credit Unions tend to beat banks when it comes to rates so check around. Also be sure to invest in gap insurance so if your new ride was to get totaled before you pay it down you aren't stuck with a remaining balance after your insurance pays out.
JessicasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Camaros are top 10 in holding value, Of course that was before the 20% off deal offered by GM . Bottom line is a Camaro brand new for under $20K is a steal , If the base is all you can afford then go for it if you want to take the hit on buying your Jeep
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
19k is Honda Civic territory. You can't beat that price.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I thought only the '14s were going for 20% off.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I thought only the '14s were going for 20% off.
It's based on age of stock, so yes a lot of 2014 models but also early 2015s to be had.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
It's based on age of stock, so yes a lot of 2014 models but also early 2015s to be had.
But, I thought the ads specify 13-14 models, that are the oldest 15% of stock on a dealers lot.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
But, I thought the ads specify 13-14 models, that are the oldest 15% of stock on a dealers lot.
I thought so too. Perhaps the dealership is running their own, GM independent 20% on other vehicles that don't apply?
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
KeyWil

Drives: 2011 Blk 1LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
My two cents...

Don't get the LS because it's the cheapest Camaro you can get. Get it because it's a Camaro that satisfies what you are looking for in a Camaro. Otherwise, just like you are unsatisfied with the Jeep, you may be thinking you should have gotten an SS...then you are in the same boat you are in now.

Not knocking the LS, as I'm 90% happy with my 2LS's trim level.
Well said.
KeyWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
soflo

Drives: chevy
Iv only had my jeep for 6-7 months. My interest rate is kind of high because it was pre owned. I didnt know about financing a new car would give you a better rate. Im paying $400 per month including gap insurance on my jeep now.

My credit isnt too good. Its about a 610. It dropped after several dealerships submitted my app to banks because iv been trying to get rid of my jeep. I have a lot of inquires.

I put my jeep up on craiglist and had offers but I had to come up with $3k just to pay it off. But im not making enough money to put 3k up like that.
soflo is offline   Reply With Quote