Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Daily Driver 1LE tire suggestions.

So I just bought a 2013 1LE last week. The dealer put brand new Goodyear F1: G2 tires on them. 285/35 front, and 305/35 rear. I've read a bit about them and how they aren't as great in rain or temps below 40 degrees, so I'm possibly in market for more tires, because my wife takes it to work mon-fri( she loves the car btw), and sometimes here in Texas it's only around 30-40 degrees when she leaves for work. Are they that bad a tires? What are good all-season performance tires are you guys using that are close in that size. If I get lucky I could just find someone to trade tires with, b/c mine has <300 minkes on them. Thanks!
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422887692.966720.jpg
Views: 15366
Size:  369.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Michelin PSS 255front and 315 back - no issues here...

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
They can be pretty slippery. I don't mind driving around with them, doesn't get too cold here, but when it does I wouldn't want my girlfriend driving around in them. Also I wonder why your dealer went with 285/305
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
1st of all what is your budget for tires? And yes when it gets cold those tires will have traction issues.

Michelins are the best, but they are $$$$.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
They can be pretty slippery. I don't mind driving around with them, doesn't get too cold here, but when it does I wouldn't want my girlfriend driving around in them. Also I wonder why your dealer went with 285/305
Wondered the same thing, but it was probably a screw up on the dealers part. Should have been 285's all around. The 305's out back won't hurt anything.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
vonrebel

Drives: 2021 2SS 1le Shock
Michelin Pilot Sports A /S 3, in my opinon having driven on both, your will give up a little responsivness switching to the AS3's V/S Goodyears. But gain many advantages for a DD. 45,000 warranty, Cold weather or wet weather traction, and cold wet weather, can confirm 1-3 inches of snow traction, smoother quieter ride, holds a straight line easy at highway speeds.... It's a Fantastic tire, but you do give up a little stiffness/responsivness IMO 10-15% and depends on tire pressure
A10, Navigation, Sunroof, Illuminated bow tie, 30% tint, GM Splash guards, GM Strut brace, GM CAI, Illuminated foot wells, Wicker bill, BLK GM Camaro fender badge, GM Fuel door w/ Carbon fiber inserts.
vonrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
vonrebel

Drives: 2021 2SS 1le Shock
285 35 20 Michelin Pilot Sport A /S 3 (Comparison) 285 35 20 Goodyear
Attached Images

A10, Navigation, Sunroof, Illuminated bow tie, 30% tint, GM Splash guards, GM Strut brace, GM CAI, Illuminated foot wells, Wicker bill, BLK GM Camaro fender badge, GM Fuel door w/ Carbon fiber inserts.
vonrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:39 AM   #8
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrebel View Post
285 35 20 Michelin Pilot Sport A /S 3 (Comparison) 285 35 20 Goodyear
Are any of those tires mounted on a wheel? That usually changes the tread width.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:44 AM   #9
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
The dealer should have installed 285s square as has been mentioned by other posters.

I honestly don't think you need any other tire for daily driving in Texas. It will have less traction, but should still have plenty of traction left for your wife even before the tires warm up. Once they do warm up (within a few miles on the highway), they will drive just like any other day.

The manufacturer's recommended cold tire pressure is 32 PSI F/R. If you set it to 32 PSI when its around 60+ F, it drops to about 30PSI when it gets cold out and drops to 30 F or so. The lower pressure will help the tire warm up twice as fast, which would improve your experience. In other words, you can drive with tires having around 30 PSI when it's cold, and you should have very fast warm-up. Some would suggest that the tire would be worn out quicker that way. True, but I have not really cared about tire wear on sports cars for decades. On my SUV, truck, and commuter Nissan Leaf, sure, I care about wear; not on my 1LE.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Idk,I don't mind them being wider out back. I think the dealer may have thought it was a zl1, lol. I think they have 305 in back from factory on the Z. As far as budget, I would just want to get the best overall tire that are all season, and will last a good amount of time. I don't plan on being at the track much, so they wouldn't have to be top of line for both worlds. I just got somewhat worried when I read all the bad reviews on the tires. Appreciate all the advice.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
chuckclanton

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
Michelin PSS 255front and 315 back - no issues here...
If you are not going to track the car get rid of the Goodyears and also you don't need a square setup. Cooper RS3-S 275s & 305s will work well wet or dry and not break the bank.$800 shipped from TreadDepot. A lot of other more expensive options from Cont. DSW to Michelin are available. You should be able to sell the Goodyears to a "track day" person.
chuckclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_RS View Post
Idk,I don't mind them being wider out back. I think the dealer may have thought it was a zl1, lol. I think they have 305 in back from factory on the Z. As far as budget, I would just want to get the best overall tire that are all season, and will last a good amount of time. I don't plan on being at the track much, so they wouldn't have to be top of line for both worlds. I just got somewhat worried when I read all the bad reviews on the tires. Appreciate all the advice.
What kind of track are you talking about?

For a road course or if much of your driving involves curves, stick with the 285/35 "square" configuration. "Staggered" is for drag racing, or if you have any plans for forced induction, and for static display at car shows where the rest of the people don't understand what a 1LE is all about.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-05-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #13
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Mine stays out of the weather (including cold) most of the time. But if it's been 40 or above and the sun is shining, basically winter here in DFW! I take her out. The G2's are def slick when they are cold, but if you take it easy you can manage. I've kept mine at 32psi, dips to around 30 on the really cold nights and they warm up fairly quickly to about 34-35psi. Once warm they handle pretty well, though you still have to watch yourself. Now if the tires are cold AND it's raining, BE CAUTIOUS. Those are the two worst enemies of the G2's...

Also, you must think about tire wear and warranty. The G2's are by far the worst of the bunch. I've got aprox. 7500 on mine and the rears are going to need to be replaced fairly soon. Fronts aren't wearing as bad.

To summarize, I LOVE my G2's and will probably stick with them for my next tire change, but this is not my DD. If it were my DD I'd probably switch to the PSS's.
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote