Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Saved by Grace

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
NPP "Rattle"

Hey guys, thought I would just share a little bit since I have lurked and learned so much on this forum.

Short story is recently bought a used 2014 1LE with 16,000 miles. I noticed recently that at low RPM I can hear a metallic rattle from the exhaust system. Very noticeable at a restaurant drive through because the sound would bounce off the wall.

Disclaimer - I'm no mechanic!

At first I thought it was maybe the butterfly valve. Like it was loose and rattling or something.

So I took it to the dealership for an oil change and told them what I was hearing. After checking it out that told me it was the baffle. I asked if they were going to do, if anything.

Answer? Entirely new exhaust system!

Should be here in about a week. Just thought I would share in case anybody else hears something similar.

-SBG
Saved by Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Wow, warranty fix then? Crazy
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I didn't notice a rattle until I installed high flow cats. Doesn't really bother me. That's awesome you got it replaced under warranty though
Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I never had a rattle, but after the High flow cat's were installed i noticed what looked like horse hair at the back of the exhaust. Apparently it is part of the sound dampening coming out.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I never had a rattle, but after the High flow cat's were installed i noticed what looked like horse hair at the back of the exhaust. Apparently it is part of the sound dampening coming out.
That's a good thing right
Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
yep, I have that. heard it since new mostly at idle and intermittent. thought it sounded like a loose heat shield and had them do a check at my first service. dealer told me they couldn't identify the source but did hear it. they said a tech would need to look at it as these were just " oil change guys " nothing was loose and they mentioned it was probably in the muffler / exhaust. since nothing is going to fall off I just quit worrying about it. rattles more when cold. not much when warmed up. does sound just like a baby rattle if the came in metal....
Old 03-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
nmartin1216

Drives: 14 white Camaro 1LE 2SS/RS
had this, turned out it was a loose clip on the drivers side exhaust, roughly around the position directly under the drivers seat. Just a metal little clip that came loose and would kinddddd of rattle. Wouldnt really make the noise unless i was at a stop then as soon as i would start going it would make the noise. The tech fixed it by taking it off and "stretching it" then putting it back in place. hope that helps.
nmartin1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
That's a good thing right
Not in CA!!!!!
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
cottrellj2
Blue Ray SCPO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I thought most people did the fuse pull to disable the flapper. That would be one way to confirm, but if you are getting a new NPP, even better. The only thing I ever heard was what I thought was the flapper, pulled the fuse, and good to go. Unless you actually want the quiet mode.... lol.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:36 AM   #10
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Light lil rattle is a common issue on the NPP, I had mine fixed under warranty. I honestly thought it was something inside the exhaust piping, but it turned out to be a clamp that needed tightening/readjusting.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #11
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmartin1216 View Post
had this, turned out it was a loose clip on the drivers side exhaust, roughly around the position directly under the drivers seat. Just a metal little clip that came loose and would kinddddd of rattle. Wouldnt really make the noise unless i was at a stop then as soon as i would start going it would make the noise. The tech fixed it by taking it off and "stretching it" then putting it back in place. hope that helps.
Thanks much for this info. Did the fuse pull and had no effect on rattle. Rattle is not rpm dependent. Clamp rub makes a lot of sense. I will mention it to the service manager in a kind and non-instructive manner the next time I go to the dentist. Er...dealership.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmartin1216 View Post
There's actually a TSB on that problem. It says to just bend the little retainer clip peice away from the pipe so it can't touch and rattle. Funny because that defeats the purpose of the clip even being on there.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #13
Saved by Grace

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
For the record fuse pull did nothing to reduce the rattle.

Good to hear about the clip, but would a dealership really order me an entirely new exhaust system just for that? I would like to think it was a bigger issue.

Warranty repair, not complaining!

SBG
Saved by Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #14
Wollmank

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
Had same problem. Dealership even replaced entire exhaust. Still rattled. It was the heat shield. Warranty.
Wollmank is offline   Reply With Quote