Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-23-2015, 01:50 AM   #1
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
Installing Solo High Flow problem.

I finally got hold of some high flows, was very excited to try and install them but unfortunately we ran into an issue.

We followed the Solo HFC's installation instructions from the DIY section down to a "t". Everything went smooth till the O2 sensors needing to come off the original cats.

My car is not even a year old and we could only get 2 out. The downstream o2stripped coming out, and we could not get either of the o2's off the driver side catalytic.

We used an O2 Socket, torch and wd-40, not a budge. Will PB-Blaster and 7/8 open wrench make a difference ,or will I need to carry these to a muffler shop ?
I'm beyond frustrated. It would have taken us 3 hours but instead my car is stranded at my dads till I figure how to get the o2's out, as well as, possibly a new o2 sensor, bc I doubt I can re-thread it. Ugh

If I do need new an o2 sensor is there a recommended place to purchase?

Any help will be awesome !
Old 03-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
auto parts store or dealer. There is nothing super special about the O2 sensors.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I've had luck with the freeze sprays that are out there. You can pick up an O2 sensor at dealer or the auto parts stores.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Last time a swapped out exhaust manifold for shorty headers I used WD 40 and it didn't help at all, got some PB blaster sprayed down all bolts. Next morning unscrewing these bolts was so much easier. PB blaster really works!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
i did mine a couple days ago. I used the oxygen sensor socket, pb blaster and a breaker bar. They came off easily.
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
PB blaster and used a vice to secure the the pipes while un doing the o2 sensors. They are known to strip pretty easy I was lucky to get them all off without stripping them but it's a common issue.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
I used PB blaster and still couldn't get the upstream passenger side off, ended up just leaving it in and bought a new one. I bought mine from amazon for $55 with prime shipping.
760bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
Shiftgreen

I bought some PB Blaster and have been putting it on through out the day, as well as, an offset o2 socket. I bought an o2 sensor as well.
I hope I don't screw any others up.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Shiftgreen

Got all the sensors in place and ready to install. The gm gaskets don't fit on the solos like they did for the stock and the solo gaskets just sit on top of the pipe rather then resting inside. Is that ok ?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
BrandX
Camaro Again?

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Yes use the Gaskets sitting evenly and bolt up the pipes. Tighten evenly... then torque to specs.....After you run through a warm up / cool down cycle, retorque and enjoy!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #11
Shiftgreen

Well I used the gm gaskets instead of the already used solo gaskets. The gm gaskets looked fine. No tears.
I tried to line it up as good as I could while my dad tightened up the bolts from the top.

Started up fine and sounds great, but I think there could be an exhaust leak maybe. When it was on I climbed underneath to inspect and I felt a warm draft coming between the driver side header and flange.
Also when inside and driving I can hear the exhaust underneath more than before, and on the passenger side.

Could the bolts be too tight, or maybe I need some of the aftermarket gaskets from autozone? I saw a member on here use them.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #12
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
Use. The. Supplied. Gaskets. For. The. Cats. You. Are. Installing.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 AM   #13
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftgreen View Post
Well I used the gm gaskets instead of the already used solo gaskets. The gm gaskets looked fine. No tears.
I tried to line it up as good as I could while my dad tightened up the bolts from the top.

Started up fine and sounds great, but I think there could be an exhaust leak maybe. When it was on I climbed underneath to inspect and I felt a warm draft coming between the driver side header and flange.
Also when inside and driving I can hear the exhaust underneath more than before, and on the passenger side.

Could the bolts be too tight, or maybe I need some of the aftermarket gaskets from autozone? I saw a member on here use them.

Thanks for all the help!
You'll be able to tell if theres an exhaust leak and when you drive it will sound like a hard click/popping sound that's really raspy. When I installed mine I had a leak on the passenger side V-clamp. I could see liquid shoot out from the clamp where it connects to the catback.

I used everything SOLO supplied with the kit........and I tightened everything as tight as possible.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 AM   #14
BrandX
Camaro Again?

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Use the solo gaskets. Even if they were used, they can be reused and will work fine.