Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Zadmax

Drives: '14 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
When is a NEW car no longer considered new?

Today I went to a Chevrolet dealer to look at a 2014 2SS/RS that is currently listed as "New" on their website. When I got there, I was more than surprised (not in a good way) that the car had nearly 3K miles on it. The manager told me dealerships have the discretion to label any car with less than 5,600 (that has not been previously sold) as new.

I have been to many dealerships and never came across something like this. It wasn't even listed as a demo model. They had a separate section for demo models which were all clearly labeled with a white circled D on the back window (regardless of model). I was told the regional (or perhaps district) manager used the car to drive to and from work.

The car was in very good shape overall, but did have some minor scratches and paint rubs along the edges of both doors. One large 15" or so scratch along the rear trunk lid which could most likely have been buffed out as well. Also a roughly 1" stain on the front passenger leather seat back.

I don't consider a car like this with almost 3K miles as New (regardless of any deals they may have on the car).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Zadmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
If it has never been registered to a private owner, it is a new car. It's that simple.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
If the title has been registered to an owner it's considered used car
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
The answer to your question OP, lies in the person doing the buying. Everyones expectation of "new" is different. Although the car hasnt been registered, I would not consider that new or even close to it.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Old 04-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
Zadmax

Drives: '14 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Everyone else I spoke with outside the forum about this looked at me like I had two heads when I explained it and thought I was being fed a large spoonful of BS from the dealer, but to be honest I really don't know if what he told me is in fact true.

I suppose I could always call up GM customer service or whatever to see what they tell me, but I don't think it would matter at this point as the experience really left me with a bad feeling, especially since they weren't willing to work with me on the price very much. They had a nearly identical car with only 8 miles (in a color I don't want) listed at the same price which added to my frustration.

The carfax showed the A/C compressor was replaced at 56 miles/system recharged, and that tire(s) were replaced at around 2600 miles. I suppose the compressor could have simply been bad from the factory, and the manager driving the "new" car for his own purposes could have hit a pot hole (or 4), but only he knows for sure.

I just don't think the car should be listed as new as it currently sits. Guess I just have to keep looking.
Zadmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
ZiG

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Ouch. I'd be calling gm to ask about the in service date, etc.
ZiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Ditto on finding out the in-service date. Or if you can run the VIN number through your state DMV, like I can here in Ohio.

I looked at a "new" 2009 G5 that was actually titled to the dealership when Pontiac was going toes-up. Actually was a used car.
They titled it to themselves to get the $7500.00 Pontiac Closeout money, instead of it going to the customer.
I ended up finding another one without playing games.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
By technical definition, a car is still new until the title is transferred from the original dealer to the bank or the first owner. That's why a lot of dealers use a nasty tactic of giving a false financing approval, only to call the new owner a few days later saying they need to come back and sign some last minute paperwork, and reveal to the customer that they weren't completely approved for financing just yet. If the customer gives in, they will usually get charged a high APR and other things to keep the car. If they don't, they have to give the car back, they lose the money they put down, and the dealership still technically has a "new car" since they never transferred the title to a bank yet since financing wasn't really approved, giving them the ability to sell it at full price again.

Hell, could have happened to this car.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
By technical definition, a car is still new until the title is transferred from the original dealer to the bank or the first owner. That's why a lot of dealers use a nasty tactic of giving a false financing approval, only to call the new owner a few days later saying they need to come back and sign some last minute paperwork, and reveal to the customer that they weren't completely approved for financing just yet. If the customer gives in, they will usually get charged a high APR and other things to keep the car. If they don't, they have to give the car back, they lose the money they put down, and the dealership still technically has a "new car" since they never transferred the title to a bank yet since financing wasn't really approved, giving them the ability to sell it at full price again.

Hell, could have happened to this car.
Typical dealer tactic called "Yo-Yo-ing the sale"
("Spot deliver" the car- then call them back 2-3 days later to re-sign a new deal)

A couple of dealers around me are still doing this. Buyer signs paperwork in the huge pile of papers in the F and I office at acknowledging they might have to re-negotiate the deal then gets a phone call a few days later. By then, the customer has shown off his new car to his friends.
One outfit tried that on me when I was much younger. I had good credit and knew it.
I went back the following Saturday afternoon and made a little scene in front of a full showroom. As a result, my original deal stoodfast, just so they could get me the hell out of there before I killed their business.
They played dirty.......so could I.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
HuJass

Drives: GM
A bet the definition is different from state to state.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
This is not for all but. CASH is a powerful tool.
Drive away from the dealership knowing the car is all yours.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
It's a legal definition, not the dealer's definition. If it has not been titled, it's considered new in the eyes of the laws regarding registration etc- and as far as the manufacturer incentives which can help immensely in getting a good deal.
Personally, I consider anything over a hundred miles used and I'll never buy a "new" car with more than maybe a dozen miles, but it's not up to me or some dealer to decide the terminology.
Who is the idiot- the dealer or the person who calls out others over something HE doesn't understand?
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
If it has never been registered to a private owner, it is a new car. It's that simple.
Not that simple. The car the OP is looking at is no longer new with that mileage
and those defects. My Camaro was delivered to me with 8 miles and in the same
condition as when it left the factory-
This is new VVVVVV
Attached Images

myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote