Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
B-Rads SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Question about auto SS and using paddle shifters

Hi everyone I have been looking around on the site for awhile first time posting. I purchased a 2010 2SS/RS in late October and have been enjoying it ever since (except for the 2 months I had to hide it from snow). I noticed something the other day and I am wondered if it was normal or not. I was playing around on some back roads and had the car in sport mode using the paddle shifters and I noticed after a few turns the car took over shifting even though I was using the paddle shifters. It was like I turned off the paddle shift mode. Is this normal? I did install the Hurst paddle shifters and I think they are adjusted right don't know if this could be a problem. It concerns me because I am wanting to do some auto cross racing this summer and I don't want the car shifting itself. Most of the courses can be run in second gear I don't want it down shifting to first when I don't want it too. I know most of you will say you should have bought a manual but the only way my wife would let me get the cars is if she could drive it. I tried teaching her to drive manual before and that didn't work.
B-Rads SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Maybe you just held the right paddle down too long, and it went back into auto mode.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
B-Rads SS

I thought that at first but it still showed what gear I was in like I was in paddle mode but it was shifting itself.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
You should not have an issue with it downshifting while autox. Not sure what you did but unless you are hitting an extremely high rev #, or slowing down a lot, it should stay in the gear you are in. I have several friends with an auto and do autox, without any issues are you describe. Keep practicing and seeing where it is wanting to shift at.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
All I can think of is if it was in m mode the hurst shifter pay have put pressure on a paddle and took it out of paddle shift mode.(happened to me)The hurst paddles are complete garbage, I had a set and they were aful, go online and buy yourself some vitesse shifters. You can thank me later.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
B-Rads SS

The car was in M. I pretty mush always drive it in M even when i'm not using the paddles It seems like the paddles may be the problem with the warmer weather they may be out of adjustment. I got the vitesse paddles first they where good but I like the size of the hurst better since they are larger but if I keep having problems I may have to go back.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rads SS View Post
The car was in M. I pretty mush always drive it in M even when i'm not using the paddles It seems like the paddles may be the problem with the warmer weather they may be out of adjustment. I got the vitesse paddles first they where good but I like the size of the hurst better since they are larger but if I keep having problems I may have to go back.
When I bought the vitesse ones I didn't like how they were a bit loose, so I got some foam and stuck them in behind just like how the original buttons have from the 2010-2011's and they fit much nicer and felt better. Just an fyi if you experienced the same problem.

But yea I strongly believe it's the shifters giving you the problem.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
B-Rads SS

I will check it out tonight while I'm getting the car cleaned up for a cruise in tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
The tranny will shift itself down, regardless of if you are in manual mode or not, when your speed slows to a certain point and rpm drops significantly. I forget off hand exactly what the speed for a 2 to 1 shift is, but it's pretty slow.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Maybe you just held the right paddle down too long, and it went back into auto mode.
I don't think 2010 has that feature. I tried to do it in my car but it won't go back to S.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
Brilac

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS GFX Red Jewel Tintcoat
I have a 2010 and when in m and shifting with paddles it will only go as low as second gear if you "forget" to downshift.
Also the 2010 will not go back to "auto mode" by holding the right paddle down.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #12
B-Rads SS

My car does go back into sport mode if I hold the right paddle for a few seconds. I may have been the paddles out of adjustment. I readjusted them by the instructions but I have not had time to test it yet if it does the same think. My car was downshifting at 3,000 to 4,000 rpm like it was in sport mode.