Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
hamidar05

Drives: 10 Camaro/69 Bronco/08 Mazda3
Clay Bar - Black Car

Am I a complete idiot?.... got a Mothers Clay Bar Kit - washed my car with Dawn - then did the hood with the clay bar and used a good amount of the detailer spray that came with the kit to keep it lubed.... Scratches right on the edge of the cowl, and the gdamn water spots the dealer left on there were still there! Luckily they are light scratches from the clay bar... there was no dirt on my freshly washed towels, and there wasn't a freaking dust storm... Clay Bar my ass - it did more harm than good. Maybe if I parked the cart under a pine tree I might need to try it again, but never again on Black that was pretty clean to start with...

To add to the story, the dealer 'detailed' my car, yeah right, some swirls I can understand, but there are scratches, especially toward the driver rear quarter panel. I should have insisted on them not 'detailing' my car...

So needless to say, going to see how the Porter Cable buffer (not getting here until after Labor Day ) and Zaino PC do... I did a section using the PC by hand and got some haze, but after I used Z5 and it turned out pretty, nice... though I still didn't get to the scratch I was trying to correct very well..

And the quality of the paint overall... orangepeel, again what should I expect for a factory finish.. Have to make the best of it until another incarnation in the future.

But man do I love this car , can't wait to get some miles on it and really drive it.. It screams to me to go fast, so hard to resist.. I have to get it to a track or I'm gonna get into trouble.
VIN# 34612
Bitchin Camaro - Dead Milkmen - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/8092
Thank You Oshawa - Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
~1600 mi so far - 07/18/10
hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamidar05 View Post
Am I a complete idiot?.... got a Mothers Clay Bar Kit - washed my car with Dawn - then did the hood with the clay bar and used a good amount of the detailer spray that came with the kit to keep it lubed.... Scratches right on the edge of the cowl, and the gdamn water spots the dealer left on there were still there! Luckily they are light scratches from the clay bar... there was no dirt on my freshly washed towels, and there wasn't a freaking dust storm... Clay Bar my ass - it did more harm than good. Maybe if I parked the cart under a pine tree I might need to try it again, but never again on Black that was pretty clean to start with...

To add to the story, the dealer 'detailed' my car, yeah right, some swirls I can understand, but there are scratches, especially toward the driver rear quarter panel. I should have insisted on them not 'detailing' my car...

So needless to say, going to see how the Porter Cable buffer (not getting here until after Labor Day ) and Zaino PC do... I did a section using the PC by hand and got some haze, but after I used Z5 and it turned out pretty, nice... though I still didn't get to the scratch I was trying to correct very well..

And the quality of the paint overall... orangepeel, again what should I expect for a factory finish.. Have to make the best of it until another incarnation in the future.

But man do I love this car , can't wait to get some miles on it and really drive it.. It screams to me to go fast, so hard to resist.. I have to get it to a track or I'm gonna get into trouble.
Also got Black and I'm worried about the same thing but I think once you put that Z5 on there it will be golden!

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Black SS...

I used Ice Liquid Claybar out of the sun inside my garage. Rinse well with water after haze setup, then towel dry. Normal wax afterward. Beauty.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Rummel Autosport

Drives: 92 Skyline GTR, 89 240SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdevine View Post
I used Ice Liquid Claybar out of the sun inside my garage. Rinse well with water after haze setup, then towel dry. Normal wax afterward. Beauty.
That sounds like a good method, I don't know how my garage would do with washing a car inside though. I don't know that I have good enough drainage for that, and I do not have a garage on a slant. So I don't think I want to try this, but I have been thinking of getting a car-port, or canopy for just these types of things.

Rummel Autosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
vdevine

Claybar inside the garage, then pull it out of the garage to rinse it and dry it with a towel, then pull it back in to wax.
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
bluman

Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
I clayed my BLK Corvette, did not have any problems, got rid of all the water spots that I had on car when I picked her up from the dealer,the trick is to keep her WELL LUBRICATED
use lots of detailing spray, I used 2 bottles of it, I was afraid of clay marring, if you incurred some light scratches get a Porter Cable 7424XP orbital buffer, use a light (not too abrasive) polish and you will eliminate the light marring and scratches that you have.
2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD

2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
hamidar05

Drives: 10 Camaro/69 Bronco/08 Mazda3
Thanks guys... that's the plan, Porter Cable and Zaino PC. Man, was looking at the car in the garage after it's first wash (Dawn) and the the dealer 'detailing' scratched the hell out of it. I saw most of the bad ones outside and worked them with the PC, but geez, it's like someone took some sand paper and lightly went over the car.

All dealers hear this - Get the gdamn rail dust off the cars before you detail it, and when you wash it make sure that crap isn't trapped in the wash mit or whatever you're using.. gdamnit
VIN# 34612
Bitchin Camaro - Dead Milkmen - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/8092
Thank You Oshawa - Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
~1600 mi so far - 07/18/10
hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Computerplay

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Black/Silver
ham, i had the same situation with my black baby. Dealer or transport put 2 deeper scratches and swirl marks all over when they washed it. I used polisher with Mequiars SwirlX for most and Meg. Ultimate compound on the 2 big scratches. Then Meg. gold wax and it looked good.

Just use the least abrasive product to get the job done. Take your time and you'll be good to go.

I now use Zaino. just did 2 coats of Z5 today and I can still see a couple swirls, so I will try the polisher again next time I detail.

good luck.

1100 = 4/22/09
2000 = ?
2500 = 5/27/09
3000 = 5/27/09
3300 = 6/24/09 tpw 7/20
3400 = 7/20/09
3800 = produced 7/22/09? #28839
4200, Shipped 7/24/09?
5000, 8/13/09
6000 = Delivered to Customer 8/13/09
Computerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
Miketebo22
Iceman

Drives: SOLD #20,908 SS waiting for ZL1
Send a message via MSN to Miketebo22
i got some wicked hardwater spots on my black SS and cannot for the life of me get them off either
Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
MyNewSolstice

Drives: 06 Solstice
No claybars are your friends a guy with a buffer is also your friend! here is my Daily Driver after 90k

You'll get chips and scratchs and dents! trust me! it is about the overall integrity of the paint and also to not make it a first 20k of miles baby and the first mishap you give up! just stay with it. trust me after almost 100k the most anyone has though I had on the car was 30k! that makes it worth it,
MyNewSolstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I clay barred my Black SS today with Zaino. Came beautiful. There really wasn't much in the way of dirt at all. I did 2 coats of Z2 in between 1 coat of Z5. They I finished her off with the Z6 (?) spray. My only issue was that I have the new Z8 spray and for some reason, that did not come off well at all! I had to use the other finishing spray to get it off. I am thinking the car was way too warm, even though it was under a canopy and not directly in the sun. I'll post pictures later but it came out gorgeous!!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
I dont have a Black car I have a SIM It has only been washed once in 1200 miles I use Mequiars Quick Detal Mist and Wipe to clean and the Meguiars wax after.And only the detal spray when it needs it like everother daybut no clay Bar it really didnt need it under the lights it looks like Glass no marks at all!!!But Did use the Clay Bar on the wifes Tahoe ist IBM and it is a 07 and sits outside.After the clay bar and wax it looks brand new again!!!I know how hard it is to keep a Black car looking clean.Good luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
i have givin up on swirl marks i got so man of them prolyl from me for the most part though i though i was cleaning and waxing it right but i still get them only an see them in the sun but bothers the shit outta me

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #14
vdevine

No offense guys but the improper use of the English language is making this thread very hard to read.
6000 Mine 26 June 2009