Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
More M6 Aisin woes

I honestly hate this transmission. Way too many problems... Hard to get into 1st, 2nd, and reverse (especially cold). Then it makes a rattling/grinding noise above 3500 RPM (granted I don't often go that high it's still not supposed to happen). And I've had this happen twice now where the clutch pedal will simply not come up... This is what concerns me the most.

Any idea what would cause this? The first time it happened I was parking. I had to do a 3 point turn, so I drove in at an angle, stopped, reversed back to go in straight, stopped, and when I put in 1st gear and slowly let off the clutch/stepped on the gas like normal the car died as if I had let the clutch off too soon. I really don't think I did, but that's not the problem. I put the clutch back in all the way (I swear it was only halfway out when this happened so I think I really only pushed it in the rest of the way) and turned the car back on. It cranked, turned over normally, and died before moving my foot at all. Thinking I could've somehow not cranked it long enough, which doesn't make sense since just barely tapping the crank position will turn the car over on its own, I just turned it on again but it still happened. I decide to take it out of 1st and into neutral and turn it on again, but it still dies as if I'm letting the clutch go (IN NEUTRAL). So I take my foot out of the clutch completely wondering what's going on, getting frustrated at this point... And the clutch pedal sticks halfway. Just won't come out... I get out and even make sure that it's not coming up all the way and it's not just my imagination. I pull on it a bit but nothing... so I get back in and step on it a couple times but it won't come completely out. I turn it on again and it dies like I'm popping the clutch. I just sit there with the parking brake up and in neutral, foot off the clutch wondering if I should just yank the pedal harder to come up right, when I hear a noise like pressure is being release... (PSHH!...?) and the pedal shoots back up. This is without me touching it at all and after a few seconds of waiting. Then it's completely normal and never has a problem again... for a month or so. So I parked it and forgot about it.

Now just today it did this... while driving. I'm going about 25 or less and shifting to 3rd when the pedal won't come up completely... Then the car dies on me when I pull over... as if I popped the clutch. But this time it starts normal, but of course the clutch won't come out completely. I'm less than a mile away from where I'm going anyway so I just drive like this, but I can't shift without a terrible jerking. So I pull back over this time in the island, and then start driving in 2nd from a stop (didn't die this time when I stopped moving but pedal still won't come up completely). I get to parking in a minute and turn off the car... release the pedal and it comes up normally. I sit there messing with it and shifting for a while, and it won't mess up anymore. Perfectly normal.

Anyone ever had anything like this? No idea what would be happening. The dealer has taken the trans apart before to get rid of some bearing noise so I'm assuming they messed something up... but what? Fluid level was OK. Don't really wanna check anything else and have the dealer blame me.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I hate the AY6 as much as you do but these symptoms sound more like clutch problems than transmission problems. It might be time to drain and fill the clutch fluid reservoir and then bleed the clutch slave. You could check with the dealer but it probably won't be covered under warranty. Several DIY threads on the forum if you aren't familiar with this.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I hate the AY6 as much as you do but these symptoms sound more like clutch problems than transmission problems. It might be time to drain and fill the clutch fluid reservoir and then bleed the clutch slave. You could check with the dealer but it probably won't be covered under warranty. Several DIY threads on the forum if you aren't familiar with this.
I agree. These are clutch problems not tranny problems.

Although, if you keep driving with this sick clutch, your tranny will soon be toast also.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
It's got less than 19k miles and has had intermittent problems since new, clutch fluid was also checked and cleaned out last time it was at the dealer.

And what they told me made the "bearing" noise last time was the throw out bearing but of course the noise never went away. And it seems both of the service advisers I had talked to have been let go recently. Local dealership sucks, they never have an adviser there
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote