Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
HP_Therapy
Horsepower Therapy

Drives: 2014 2SS, RS, 1LE, Heartbeat Blower
J Audio XD700/5 settings questions

All,

I am looking for some advice on settings for a JL XD700/5 amp, with all aftermarket speakers and sub. I initialing only installed a JL 10in Sub in a stealth box, but have since upgraded the factory speaker to all JP audio. I admit it, I am not a "sound" guy so when i look at all the setting on the amp it's like looking at hieroglyphics or a hog looking at a wrist watch.

So, the big questions -
How to set the CH 1/2 HP filter switch, and filter freq on dial. Same for CH 3/4, what would you do for Filter Mode, etc? For the sub, 12db or 24db?

Advice would be appreciated.

Like us on Facebook and Instagram - Horsepower Therapy...... www.horsepowertherapy.org
HP_Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Ok, since you don't mention what kinds (co-ax, comps) you have int the front doors and in the back, I'm going to assume you bought JL components with a passive x-over for the front and 6X9 2 ways for the rear. Also, I'm assuming you are using the stock radio and some sort of lineout converter or the ******** X3 to get signal to the amps. If not, disregard the following
Channel 1-2 (fronts) you want to set the filter to high-pass at 80Hz
Channel 3-4 (rears) you want to set it to either either off or also 80Hz. (I would personally disable the rear speakers totally unless there are always passengers back there with you)
For the Sub channel, set the filter to 80Hz. The slope (12 or 24) you will need to play with to see which allows the sub to blend better with the fronts.
You will also need to set the gains (input sensitivity) properly on the amp. Here is a link to JL Audio tutorial on doing that: http://www.jlaudio.ca/header/Support...Setting/624628

If you post more detailed info about your setup we can provide better answers too
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
HP_Therapy
Horsepower Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
Ok, since you don't mention what kinds (co-ax, comps) you have int the front doors and in the back, I'm going to assume you bought JL components with a passive x-over for the front and 6X9 2 ways for the rear. Also, I'm assuming you are using the stock radio and some sort of lineout converter or the ******** X3 to get signal to the amps. If not, disregard the following
Channel 1-2 (fronts) you want to set the filter to high-pass at 80Hz
Channel 3-4 (rears) you want to set it to either either off or also 80Hz. (I would personally disable the rear speakers totally unless there are always passengers back there with you)
For the Sub channel, set the filter to 80Hz. The slope (12 or 24) you will need to play with to see which allows the sub to blend better with the fronts.
You will also need to set the gains (input sensitivity) properly on the amp. Here is a link to JL Audio tutorial on doing that: http://www.jlaudio.ca/header/Support...Setting/624628

If you post more detailed info about your setup we can provide better answers too
Good point, more details. Yes, JL C5 components up front, and 6x9s in the back. What mode for the rears? BP or HP. I prefer to have some sound from the back end to round out the sound.

Like us on Facebook and Instagram - Horsepower Therapy...... www.horsepowertherapy.org
Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
SWRocket

If the 6X9 are two ways, you can do high-pass, but it will diffuse your stage. If you put a BP filter then I'm not sure what the value is for the low pass side... In general, to get good rear fill is almost impossible without a DSP and even then it's hard.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
Old 06-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
SWRocket

I just read through your build log. Awesome car man!!!
Audio System Build Log
Old 06-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
HP_Therapy
Horsepower Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
I just read through your build log. Awesome car man!!!
Thanks!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
I just setup my own JL 700/5 amp with the stock BA speakers and a 12" sub. I just sat in the car and tried everything to get the sound I wanted. I know that's not telling you exactly what to do but it's what I did to get mine to sound like I wanted.
I'm not trying to sound like a douche but read the manual, it actually has some good info in it. I'm in a hurry now but I'll check back later to see if I can give you some better info.