Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
2010 CamaroSS

Drives: Camaro SS
ticking noise coming from exhaust

Anybody know what could be the cause for a ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the exhaust? When the hood is popped and your in front of the car you can't hear the ticking but if you stand on the side of the car you hear it very well. Just sitting in the car while its running you can feel that its not right.

Car had a really rough idle.
The engine and cold air intake shake pretty bad at some points.
When in drive it struggles to stay at 700-800 rpms.
It surges back and forth.
Check engine light is on along with stabilitrac and traction control lights on the dash. Also the "service stabilitrac" message pops up but goes away after a minute but all other lights stay on.

I'm hoping its going to be a clogged catalytic converter as I am putting off-road pipes on whenever I have the chance. Seriously hoping that its not going to be anything with the engine :( I will be getting it towed to the dealership tomorrow just want to see what you all think or if anybody has experienced this before.
The only mods that are done to the car are a cold air intake, long tube headers with cats, and a cat-back exhaust in terms of performance mods. Please chime in, all advice is welcome. Hope your cars are running better then mine at this point.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
I don't know...something in your exhaust piping, exhaust valve maybe? How many miles on it?
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
2010 CamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfinger View Post
I don't know...something in your exhaust piping, exhaust valve maybe? How many miles on it?
Just over 40,000.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
2010 CamaroSS

I tried to upload a video of the ticking noise but it wouldn't upload on here and I do not have a YouTube account.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The noise could be magnified by the exhaust.. meaning it could be coming from the head. I would try the soapy water bubbles over the exhaust manifold when cold then starting it and looking for bubbling meaning a leak from the gasket. I would be worried your getting a lifter failing, or could have spring failing/bent pushrod etc and would also check if you have a catch can that it is correctly connected with the hoses tight and not leaking. And I would not drive the car except to get it looked at as dropped valve could mean the end to your engine... Just a opinion form a guy with a new engine who had a bad mechanical over rev then months later dropped a valve when the dual springs broke on my cam within ten miles after it developed a very slight tick and had idling problems.....