Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-05-2015, 01:59 AM   #1
judochop87

Drives: Cooper
Buick Grand National on Alpha platform

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/buick...rand-national/
judochop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
ZLWin

Drives: 14' ZL1
Looks promising, I've always been a fan of GNX. In fact I have an 87' that was passed down to me that just needs a little TLC. I however don't see where it will really fit in the market. One would assume it would be much like a Chevy SS, probably priced a tad closer to Cadillac though. It would fit a very small niche that loves the performance of a Camaro but wants comfort and luxury, it would sit awkwardly between a ATS-V and a Camaro most likely not excelling at either. Not to be "that" guy but perhaps it can find its home with offering something like AWD and 400+ HP, that would quickly get me to think about trading my CTS.
ZLWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Don't hold your breath. This rumor's been going around for years now.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
As much as I loved the original GNX, I can't see this working for Buick this time around. I don't think the rumors are real. If they do this, that means there is one Chevy, one Cadillac, and one Buick with the same architecture and will all be within a few thousand dollars in price of each other....... what's that called? Say it with me.... badge...... engineering!

Badge engineering was a disaster that contributed to GM begging America for a loan.

I say this rumor is just that - a rumor. In the words of GHWB: Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
As much as I loved the original GNX, I can't see this working for Buick this time around. I don't think the rumors are real. If they do this, that means there is one Chevy, one Cadillac, and one Buick with the same architecture and will all be within a few thousand dollars in price of each other....... what's that called? Say it with me.... badge...... engineering!

Badge engineering was a disaster that contributed to GM begging America for a loan.

I say this rumor is just that - a rumor. In the words of GHWB: Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.
I don't think there is much to this either.

But using the same architecture and badge engineering are two entirely different things.

Camaro is using Alpha...sure, but its been very much tweaked specifically for Camaro as compared to ATS/CTS, not to mention the Camaro is getting a unique interior, exterior, and drivetrain, suspension. That's not even remotely close to badge engineering. The old days of badge engineering consisted of slightly altered front and rear fascias, and perhaps slighty tweaked interiors with different badges...and that's about it.

There is a word though for sharing a chassis as sweet as Alpha is......SMART.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
It would be nice to have a car like that at Buick that isn't wrong-wheel-drive. Kind of like the Skylark GS models of the seventy's. I had a 72 GS 350 but wasn't educated enough at the time to know to grab a GS 455 Stage 1 that they had on the lot. That would have been the one to have.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'll believe it when I see it. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a new Grand National/GNX & think it could do good things for the Buick brand. Its just that I don't really see it existing along side the Alpha Cadillacs. GM is having a hard enough time selling the ATS & CTS as is, about the last thing they need is a Buick stealing sales.

And moved to General Automotive & Other Cars on Camaro5
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
I think I recall some GM promotional material saying the alpha chassis was "70% unique" compared to Cadillac implementations or some such thing. If that's the case, then what defines Alpha as still being Alpha? What has to remain consistent? Especially if it can lengthened and widened to suit any need?

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2016-c...new-shy-badges

I'm skeptical about Buick, which IMHO is viewed as more of a value/reliability luxury brand, competing in the performance luxury segment. Maybe if they can split the price difference between a 2SS Gen6 and a new ATS-V.... but if that's the case, it will only make sales at Cadillac's expense.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
I think I recall some GM promotional material saying the alpha chassis was "70% unique" compared to Cadillac implementations or some such thing. If that's the case, then what defines Alpha as still being Alpha? What has to remain consistent? Especially if it can lengthened and widened to suit any need?
Don't think of a platform as the physical frame of the car, but more the conceptual framework of a car. It defines the basic characteristics of the car, including how much you can stretch/squish things. Its as much about sharing engineering resources as individual parts, actually the engineering might be even more important.

One way to think about platforms is that they are a series of choices that have been made. Where are the engine mounts going, what is the power/torque limit it can handle, what type of suspension geometry will it use, what are the main structural elements, what body styles can be made off it (coupe, sedan, convertible, wagon, crossover), what drive configurations can it use, where are the wires routed, wheelbase/track width, and so on. A lot of those things have a bit of range to them, but not a lot.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Would be cool, but not holding my breath..
Old 07-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
If it has a V8 calling it a Grand National is both a slap to the GN heritage and an insult to the Buick Gran Sport legacy.

Thusly, it shall be done, as GM has an amazing capacity to screw up simple things.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #12
fradaj

Drives: RS
If this were true wouldn't a prototype have been spotted by now? If done right a Buick variant of a ATS-V might be pretty mean, in black of course.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #13
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLWin View Post
...I however don't see where it will really fit in the market. One would assume it would be much like a Chevy SS, probably priced a tad closer to Cadillac though. It would fit a very small niche that loves the performance of a Camaro but wants comfort and luxury, it would sit awkwardly between a ATS-V and a Camaro most likely not excelling at either. Not to be "that" guy but perhaps it can find its home with offering something like AWD and 400+ HP, that would quickly get me to think about trading my CTS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
If it has a V8 calling it a Grand National is both a slap to the GN heritage and an insult to the Buick Gran Sport legacy.
The Chevy SS could be (likely will be) phased out in the next couple years, it seems this could be the replacement model for GM? With that in mind, the timing couldn't be better.

I'm skeptical of any GN news, but lately there's been some renewed discussion and confirming quotes from GM officials pertaining to the GN.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #14
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
They need to stop bringing back previous works of art because a majority of these revamps are a disgrace to the Name. I say leave the grand national as the legend it is.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote