Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
MaNiaK

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS RS
Mr Clean Magic Eraser

Hi everyone ! Just wanted to share my experience with the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. We own a white 2012 Toyota Rav 4, and just recently noticed the truck was covered with tiny rust colored spots all over front to back from the door handles down. I first tried washing the spots off, no luck so I tried some WD-40 which usually works well, wiped it all down and washed the truck again, but still no dramatic results. My good friend stopped by and told me it was rail dust, and that I would have to clay bar the entire truck. After doing some research online, I read that someone recommended the Magic Eraser, so I gave it a try and I am amazed at how well it worked ! I only used half an extra strength pad, and it removed all the rail dust and road grime off one side and the rear of the truck. It's a nice bright white once again, just like it was the day we bought it 2.5 years ago, and it only cost 6 bucks for a whole box of pads. Anyway, just wanted to post my findings incase someone else is having trouble removing rail dust or other road grime off their vehicle.
MaNiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
Might have to try this when my front end has too many bugs on it. Could have used this last night as my lady suv had so many bugs on it from her trip with her family to the National shooting comp, my arm was dead from scrubbing.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Depending on how hard you needed to rub and how much lubricant you used, you may need to polish the area to get the paint back to 100%.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
MaNiaK

I'll admit, I had to use some elbow grease to get all the spots off, but no more than if I had used a clay bar, and it looks a lot better now than it did before ! The paint doesn't have a metallic shine, just a gloss white color, so if there are any scratches it shouldn't be as noticeable as if it were on my IOM Camaro. I'm more than satisfied with the results for what I thought was going to require a lot more time and money to get the job done.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
You're probably right, it won't show on white, but those pads are abrasive so on something softer or on a color it would show you'd have a dull/scratched spot.

As another option, you can remove those rust colored spots (rail dust) using a cleaner that reacts with ferrous metals. Check out the video below - our Deep Wheel Cleaner cut 1:1 melts that stuff right off the paint. No scrubbing required.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-deep-wheel-cleaner.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
MaNiaK

The pads themselves aren't that abrasive, quite a bit less than a regular foam wash sponge actually. I would have used an iron remover if it were easily available here in Canada, looked around at CDN Tire but there was nothing like it on the shelf.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Used a Magic Eraser ONCE on a black car...out came the polisher. Clay seems to work much better in my opinion (use a nice slick detail spray to lube).

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNiaK View Post
The pads themselves aren't that abrasive, quite a bit less than a regular foam wash sponge actually. I would have used an iron remover if it were easily available here in Canada, looked around at CDN Tire but there was nothing like it on the shelf.
Let me know next time... our distributor in Canada keeps a stock of Deep Wheel Cleaner on hand.

Phone: (204) 510 3399
Email: Dexter@AdamsPolishes.ca

As far as the material of a magic eraser, it is indeed abrasive, thats how it cleans - an abrasive process, not chemical. Its made of melamine, manufactured by BASF in Germany - even the description for the material indicates this:

"In the early 21st century it was discovered that melamine foam is an effective abrasive cleaner.The open-cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is very hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like a fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned. On a larger scale the material feels soft. Because the reticulated foam bubbles interconnect, its structure is a 3D network of very hard strands, when compared to the array of separate bubbles in a material such as expanded polystyrene foam"

But like I said above, the hazing or marring caused by the abbrasive wouldn't be easily visible on white so it becomes a case of "if you can't see it, is it actually a problem?"

In my testing of melamine based products I've experienced the same things The Patriot described, so I limit their use to interior plastics. Its awesome for removing scuff marks on the doors and things like that.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Get a bottle of iron x...
Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Get a bottle of iron x...
I'll second that. It's available on Amazon, so unless there's some kind of legal red tape disallowing it, you can probably get it delivered in Canada too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
MaNiaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Let me know next time... our distributor in Canada keeps a stock of Deep Wheel Cleaner on hand.

Phone: (204) 510 3399
Email: Dexter@AdamsPolishes.ca

As far as the material of a magic eraser, it is indeed abrasive, thats how it cleans - an abrasive process, not chemical. Its made of melamine, manufactured by BASF in Germany - even the description for the material indicates this:

"In the early 21st century it was discovered that melamine foam is an effective abrasive cleaner.The open-cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is very hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like a fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned. On a larger scale the material feels soft. Because the reticulated foam bubbles interconnect, its structure is a 3D network of very hard strands, when compared to the array of separate bubbles in a material such as expanded polystyrene foam"

But like I said above, the hazing or marring caused by the abbrasive wouldn't be easily visible on white so it becomes a case of "if you can't see it, is it actually a problem?"

In my testing of melamine based products I've experienced the same things The Patriot described, so I limit their use to interior plastics. Its awesome for removing scuff marks on the doors and things like that.
Thanks for the detailed info. I'll look you up for some products for my Camaro
Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Maniak. Www.eshine.ca and www.oldetownautospa.ca are both Canadian detailing suppliers. IronX as well as other fallout removers can be ordered.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
MaNiaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow89 View Post
Maniak. Www.eshine.ca and www.oldetownautospa.ca are both Canadian detailing suppliers. IronX as well as other fallout removers can be ordered.
Thanks ! Wow, that's popular stuff, many are sold out already !
Old 08-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #14
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
I would suggest anyone reading this thread to NOT use a magic eraser on their vehicle.