Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Rattling Trunk

Not sure if this is correct section but anyway.

So i had my stock rear speakers replaced awhile ago and the shop i used i will never use again for audio they left the decklid loose drilled holes thru it to secure the speakers and completely missed the lid on 3 screws and neglected to even fix their mistake when it was made. Fast forward a few months and a new cat-back exhaust and i find my trunk rattling at first i thought it might be the exhaust is loose checked that then checked at length with a friend driving the speakers and deck lid for vibrations and found it was my actual trunk vibrating has anyone run into this where would the noise be coming from and are there any fixes.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:05 AM   #2
customaudioman

Drives: burnt orange
Do you have pictures of the deck lid? Rear speakers are not needed when you have a good set of components up front and sub in the rear.
customaudioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
This happens a lot with the Camaros. One fix that is used a lot is to put a layer of foam tape between the deck and the window. I actually took my deck lid out to make sure I got the tape all the way around the edge, and I put it on both the top and bottom in case it was rattling agains the metal. Wrked perfectly. No more rattle at all. Mine started rattling after I installed my exhaust as well.
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Not sure if this is correct section but anyway.

So i had my stock rear speakers replaced awhile ago and the shop i used i will never use again for audio they left the decklid loose drilled holes thru it to secure the speakers and completely missed the lid on 3 screws and neglected to even fix their mistake when it was made. Fast forward a few months and a new cat-back exhaust and i find my trunk rattling at first i thought it might be the exhaust is loose checked that then checked at length with a friend driving the speakers and deck lid for vibrations and found it was my actual trunk vibrating has anyone run into this where would the noise be coming from and are there any fixes.
Your in the right place : )

You are probably unaware, but there are two huge pieces of foam that keep your rear deck lid from vibrating against the glass. This is the first mistake that many amateur installers miss. There is no reason to put screws in the deck lid, most statue of limitations is 2 years but would be a pain to pursue unless you are familiar with small claims in your state. This may be un-repairable. You would be looking at buying a new deck lid and paying a shop to reinstall. Sorry to hear about your misfortune =/

I might not be fully understanding the vibration problem though, you say it's coming from the trunk and not the rear deck? I suspect the rear deck is in fact a contributing factor. At a minimum, I would pull the deck, replace the missing foam and install Dynomat. For the actual trunk lid, you can Dynomat it (1x sheet) and there is another fix whereby you add weatherstripping to the back part where it touches the car upon close. Do a forum search and you should find it pretty easily.

Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote