Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 01-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
At what point does a street legal (registered) car become a drag (race) car?

I say a car that is trailered to the strip (like a race car), runs a peak power tune (like a race car) runs race fuel (like a race car) runs drag radials or slicks in the back and skinnies up front (like a race car) sprays nitrous (like a race car) for the et and speed it runs requires a roll bar or cage (like a race car). IT IS IN FACT A RACE CAR! Even if some that fit this category can be licensed in some states, it is still a race car...yes, no?

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
Depends on what your tolerance level for noise, expensive gas and tires, and climbing out of a jungle gym are...
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Lots of people make their normally street driven cars non-legal and trailer them to the track for the weekend. Once they are done it goes back to legal and registered.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I drive to and from the track. Trailer = Racecar

2010 Camaro
Stock bottom end with 46,000+miles JRE remote tuning Whipple A6 and Drive it to and from the track 9.46@146
94guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
BadSport340

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS, 1973 Dart Sport 340
If it isn't street legal and spends all of it's time at the track then it's a race car. If you still have it registered and insured as a street car, and drive it on the street, then it's a street car. That's the easy way of putting it, I guess. Everybody will have their own definition of what makes a car a "racecar"

I usually hang out with the classic Mopar crowd and what we consider street cars, a lot of people might consider race cars. My Dart for example, it's never been down a drag strip. It's got a hot 340 with a lumpy cam and a bunch of other stuff that makes it impractical to drive on the street. Yet I don't consider it a race car, just a hot street car. My uncle had a '68 Charger with a 426 Hemi and the engine was built for max power. High compression, huge roller cam, big headers, dual Holley's on a cross ram intake. Ya know, the works. It was his daily driver back in the 70's and he did a LOT of street racing in it. He didn't consider it a race car though. I've been in a Dart that ran well into the 10's, had a mean stroker motor, 325 drag radials, and it was street driven often. There was a huge dent in the bottom of the oil pan...this Dart would go wheels up when it launched . It had a 3,500RPM stall converter and a reverse manual valve body as well. It spends most of the time at the strip but sees a lot of street time too. I'd consider it a street/strip car, not a "race" car though.

To each their own. It's hard for me to consider something a race car unless it's been gutted and purpose built as a race car. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree but... most cars are street cars, some are street/strip, and few cars are actually race cars. Just my opinion.
BadSport340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
2SSCAMARO

Here's a little history of "street cars" drag racing and just how fast you need to be to have "the fastest street car around".

Just livin' life
Old 01-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
It's only a race car if you race it. It's that simple.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
2SSCAMARO

This is not a race car. It drove over 1,000 miles on the highways between tracks, is licensed and street legal. That makes it a street car. A very very quick and fast ZL1. I would guess the fastest in the world.

Just livin' life
Old 01-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
2SSCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by xk49 View Post
It's only a race car if you race it. It's that simple.

Using that same logic. If I have a gun, is it only a gun if I fire it?

Just livin' life
Old 01-16-2016, 06:48 AM   #10
Rockit_z28
www.1baddogracing.com

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
The simple definition is if it is registered and insured and can "legally" be drive on the streets in your state than it is a street legal car.

I have driven my car 2 hours back and forth to the track and won Super Chevy and ran 10.07 on drag radials and skinnies. Likewise, I have trailered to and from various events across the country. Does it make less of a street car? No, I just choose to protect my investment.

On the other hand, I watched a guy explode his rear end with no way home. A trailer does not make it any less of a street car and makes you a smarter person in the event that these things happen.

Built and Tuned by Heintz Racing
Go: DSS 9", RPM Trans TH400, Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion, ECS Vortech YSI-B, Fore Fuel System, ID1700, Gall Racing 427 C.I LSX, Mast 285CC Heads, HR Custom Cam

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, VFN Hood, Weld Wheels
http://www.HeintzRacing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit_z28 View Post
The simple definition is if it is registered and insured and can "legally" be drive on the streets in your state than it is a street legal car.

I have driven my car 2 hours back and forth to the track and won Super Chevy and ran 10.07 on drag radials and skinnies. Likewise, I have trailered to and from various events across the country. Does it make less of a street car? No, I just choose to protect my investment.

On the other hand, I watched a guy explode his rear end with no way home. A trailer does not make it any less of a street car and makes you a smarter person in the event that these things happen.
^^^^This
Old 01-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #12
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
When you start to only trailer it. Its a race car then.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
When you start to only trailer it. Its a race car then.
Disagree... when you're pockets are deep enough to purchase a trailer you're just keeping miles off of your investment and ready if something breaks. Trailer has nothing to do with the car being a race car.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
2SSCAMARO

It appears most people agree that trucks and cars like Larry's are legally licensed street cars that are fully capable of making long distance trips. They are not trailered, they pull trailers .
He built and drives the fastest street car in the world and he built the fastest street legal ZL1 in the world.

Just livin' life