Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
aztechead

Drives: 2015 | V8 | 2SS | BVM
Mod-List Advice for current setup

Hello! First time post here but long time lurker, thought I could get some advice with my current set-up.

I have a 2015 SS A6 (L99) and my current mods are
  • -K&N CAI
  • -Borla ATAK Axle-Back Exhaust
  • -VTC
  • -Resonator Delete
  • -20 inch Wheels

I have noticed now (somewhere between the resonator delete and the CAI) that my car feels a bit slow all through first gear. As soon as it hits 2,500 RPM in second it picks up real nice, however I cant tell if its placebo that its now "slow" through first.

I currently have it straight piped back from the cats to the Borla rear section and have read threads saying that its the cause of the slowness and I have read ones that say the cats provide enough back pressure to not cause an issue. My main purpose is 0-60 time along with high speed cruising on back roads, and would like some low end torque back.

Thanks!
aztechead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
With your resonator delete, you have a x-pipe there now?

A scoop/washer tank relocation, high flow cats, sway bars. If you really want to add some punch you could replace your rear end gears.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
aztechead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
With your resonator delete, you have a x-pipe there now?

A scoop/washer tank relocation, high flow cats, sway bars. If you really want to add some punch you could replace your rear end gears.
I dont have an X-Pipe or an H-Pipe right now, I am trying to find a shop in the Phoenix area to help me out, but right now its just straight piped back to the mufflers.

I am trying to keep my warranty intact for as long as possible as well and not sure how far I can go.

Suggestions?

Orion | 2015 2SS | PHX Resident
Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztechead View Post
I dont have an X-Pipe or an H-Pipe right now, I am trying to find a shop in the Phoenix area to help me out, but right now its just straight piped back to the mufflers.

I am trying to keep my warranty intact for as long as possible as well and not sure how far I can go.

Suggestions?
That is why you have lost power. A crossover is necessary for proper scavenging.

Your warranty can not be voided simply due to the presence of aftermarket parts. A warranty repair claim can only be denied IF the issue in question is a direct result of the aftermarket part. You can do whatever you want and your warranty is fully intact unless the mod results in a problem. All of the things I mentioned before would be fine.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
aztechead

Quote:
That is why you have lost power. A crossover is necessary for proper scavenging.

Your warranty can not be voided simply due to the presence of aftermarket parts. A warranty repair claim can only be denied IF the issue in question is a direct result of the aftermarket part. You can do whatever you want and your warranty is fully intact unless the mod results in a problem. All of the things I mentioned before would be fine.
Thats what I thought, I have read the warranty explanation thread and that makes sense.

I think I will try to find a shop to hopefully use my current pipes and add in an H-pipe 18 or so inches back to get the lost power.

I've been looking through the Southwest section on here for shop suggestions but it looks pretty dead out here. Is there another spot to find reviews and or suggestions of shops?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Cordes is the shop to goto.

Tune will really limit power. Torque management will pull power in 1st gear. A tune will clean that up nicely.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
aztechead

Quote:

You mentioned gears as well, I was debating getting the 3.91 gears that GM Performance sells out of the ZL1, but I have seen 3.73 mentioned as well.

Since its the auto transmission, which one would I benefit more from?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztechead View Post
You mentioned gears as well, I was debating getting the 3.91 gears that GM Performance sells out of the ZL1, but I have seen 3.73 mentioned as well.

Since its the auto transmission, which one would I benefit more from?
Doing 3.91 in a SS with the auto in similar to 4.11 in a SS manual. Doing 3.73 is similar to 3.91 in the 1LE. Doing 3.91 is fine but it is pretty rowdy and 1st gear is very short.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
Unreal

Depends on your end goals, and power level. I wouldn't touch gears unless you don't plan on adding more power. With more power it will just make you spin more.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
aztechead

Quote:
Doing 3.91 in a SS with the auto in similar to 4.11 in a SS manual. Doing 3.73 is similar to 3.91 in the 1LE. Doing 3.91 is fine but it is pretty rowdy and 1st gear is very short.
The 3.73 sounds like the path I should go down if I choose gears then. I was able to find 3.73's for 2010-13, but nothing specific for the 2015's. Is it the same kit?

Thanks for all the help thus far as well!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
JWade

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS, L99
In the past i have typically bought used cars and modded them, this was the first new car i have purchased for myself in i cant rememberwhen. If you want to really enjoy the car, longtubes and a custom tune at a reputable shop are the way to go. I waited for 10k miles to make sure it wasnt a lemon. Transforms the car. No regrets.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #12
aztechead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWade View Post
In the past i have typically bought used cars and modded them, this was the first new car i have purchased for myself in i cant rememberwhen. If you want to really enjoy the car, longtubes and a custom tune at a reputable shop are the way to go. I waited for 10k miles to make sure it wasnt a lemon. Transforms the car. No regrets.
Thats what I hear, I am getting an H-Pipe put in tomorrow morning by a highly rated shop in my area. Doesnt look like they do performance tunes but I may go the range route once I read into that a little more, as I understand those are "temporary".

Old 02-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Unreal

The only local shop worth dealer with is CPR.

Unless it is turbos, then AGP or CPR.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
Definite +1 on Cordes.

I cannot say enough positive things about them or their work!!
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote