Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
Nesfes
VSIX 1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro V6 1LE
AMA V6 Enthusiasts!

Hello fellow V6 Camaro enthusiasts! My name is Nestor, I own a 2013 Camaro 1LS (ZL6 phantom car) equipped with the LFX V6 and the Aisin AY6 6-speed manual transmission!
In the summer of 2015 I experienced catastrophic engine and transmission failures!
Having been denied warranty coverage (due to removing the speed limiter) I was left with two options:
1) Pay a shop thousands to repair my car.
2) Repair the car myself.

I decided to pick up a wrench and repair the car myself, being no expert mechanic I spent many hours with the GM repair manual and asked my experienced mechanic friends many many questions! I was able to successfully rebuild both the transmission and engine, and have now learned a great deal about the GM High-Feature V6!

I also have experience with suspension, brake, engine, and cosmetic modifications!

I'm wanted to help you guys with any questions you might have - ask me anything!
Old 02-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
sixtyseven

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT/RS 2017 XL1200C
How many lbs torque applying cat pipe bolts to exhaust manifold?
2015 2LT/RS Black -w- CGM Rally Stripes. CAI, Elite CC, Apex air scoop + w/b kit, JacFab ported IM/Extendolator, Solo HFC's, Corsa Sport Cat-Back #14953, GM strut brace, GM stealth splash guards, GM premium floor mats, Defenderworx two tone sills, Emblem Pro LFX hood emblems, FR41-20x9/20x10 gloss black wheels, OK91/93 - OKTCM Tune.

sixtyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Nesfes
VSIX 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyseven View Post
How many lbs torque applying cat pipe bolts to exhaust manifold?
If you're asking the torque specs for the down-pipe to cylinder head then 37-45 ftlbs, if I remember correctly!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
sixtyseven

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT/RS 2017 XL1200C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesfes View Post
If you're asking the torque specs for the down-pipe to cylinder head then 37-45 ftlbs, if I remember correctly!
Yes that is what I was asking....thxs
2015 2LT/RS Black -w- CGM Rally Stripes. CAI, Elite CC, Apex air scoop + w/b kit, JacFab ported IM/Extendolator, Solo HFC's, Corsa Sport Cat-Back #14953, GM strut brace, GM stealth splash guards, GM premium floor mats, Defenderworx two tone sills, Emblem Pro LFX hood emblems, FR41-20x9/20x10 gloss black wheels, OK91/93 - OKTCM Tune.

sixtyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
Marlon1LS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS w/L99/TR6060
I'm in the same boat except my warranty just expired. I would like to fix my own. I have very little experience internally on engines. I have a knock that sounds like a spent piston rod bearing. I was thinking of dropping oil pan and installing the new bearings that way because I do not have a frame to pull out engine. I understand that doing it this way I risk missing any possible damage to the crank shaft.

Besides all that any advice?
Marlon1LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Nesfes
VSIX 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon1LS View Post
I'm in the same boat except my warranty just expired. I would like to fix my own. I have very little experience internally on engines. I have a knock that sounds like a spent piston rod bearing. I was thinking of dropping oil pan and installing the new bearings that way because I do not have a frame to pull out engine. I understand that doing it this way I risk missing any possible damage to the crank shaft.

So, you do risk missing any damage at the crankshaft, but the two biggest problems you face with this method are:

1) The oil pan cannot be dropped without removing the engine, there are too many cross members in the engine cradle for the oil pan to be removed! Ask me how I know ):

2) You may miss any damage in the oil passages! When you spin a bearing, the crankshaft and connecting rods get very hot, when these rotating pieces get hot they start to expand, with nowhere to go they start shaving away small flakes of metal that fall into the oil pan, get sucked up by the oil pickup tube, and are then distributed into the motor. The reason spinning bearings is an engine killer is because this event usually sends pieces of metal all over your engine and causes failure all over the place. In my situation the shrapnel form the bearing clogged the oil pickup tube and ended up starving the engine of oil, so I had to replace a lot more than I would have liked to have.

My recommendation to you is to pull the motor out of the car piece by piece, replace the damaged parts, and put the motor back into the car piece by piece. It will take time, but it's worth it. Failing that, you can find replacement decent engines for around $1,500 or less!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon1LS View Post

Are you over 100K on the engine???

GM has the 100K Powertrain warranty.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Awit92

Drives: 2015 camaro 2LS
Really? I was under the impression that the powertrain warranty was only 60k.
CAI Cold Air Intake, Vitesse Motorsports TC, Solo High Flow Cats, Muffler + resonator delete, Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe, Apex Air scoop, VMAX ported throttle body, Drake Shifter, Z28 spoiler + Zl1-addons Wickerbill, Eagle Eye U halo headlights. Items blacked out/tinted: Hood, wheels, emblems, brake lights.
Awit92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #9
derek1387

Nope, that changes this year.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
Awit92

Is it retroactive? So my 2015 2LS now effectively has a 100k powertrain warranty?
CAI Cold Air Intake, Vitesse Motorsports TC, Solo High Flow Cats, Muffler + resonator delete, Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe, Apex Air scoop, VMAX ported throttle body, Drake Shifter, Z28 spoiler + Zl1-addons Wickerbill, Eagle Eye U halo headlights. Items blacked out/tinted: Hood, wheels, emblems, brake lights.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
derek1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awit92 View Post
Is it retroactive? So my 2015 2LS now effectively has a 100k powertrain warranty?
Its always had a 100K powertrain warranty...

2015 and below have a 100K powertrain warranty. 2016+ have 5 year 60K.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 02-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
Awit92

Ahhh I was only looking at 2016 info. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
shags

Drives: 2016 SS Garnet Red A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
Its always had a 100K powertrain warranty...

2015 and below have a 100K powertrain warranty. 2016+ have 5 year 60K.
+1
and that profile pic haha kills me!

shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #14
Pete M
9 Year USMC Vet

Drives: 2014 1LT black on black
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
Nope, that changes this year.
I was told my 2014 has a 5yr/100k power train warrant and it fully transferable

Tags