Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 02-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Another Mosaic Black paint job with defects (Updated last page March 1st 2016)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing

I have more to upload but honestly it's depressing dragging and dropping pictures of a car with less than 200 miles on it and less than 24 hours old that looks like crap. I drove a 1994 jeep YJ in college that had 110k on the clock that had a better quality of paint job on it than this new Chevrolet Camaro. Not to mention is this the kind of product that Chevrolet passes off the public? 200 miles on the car. What happens at 1000, 5000, 10k miles? Where the hell was the quality control department?

So here is the backstory. Wife wants new car, happy wife, happy life. I've been busting it with work to surprise her with large down pmt, enough in the bank to cover about 90% of the purchase. She finds three she likes, we test drive the v6 and v8 as well as the challenger, a lexus, a porsche etc. She falls for the camaro. We contact a small dealer about 2.5 hours from our home and they have exactly what she is looking for:

2016 2SS, mosaic black, black int, auto, mylink, non magnetic ride, npp, sunroof, black wheels, no stripes. Done and done. We agree on price over phone calls, both take off work on Tuesday at 10am and start driving to the dealership. We arrive, paperwork is somewhat time consuming, she loves the car we clean out the trade in and she drives us back home.

We stop by the shop that has clear bra'd and tinted some of our previous cars and he checks out the car in his bay and starts noticing issues with the paint and scratches on the car. He pulls it inside a uses a very bright flashlight to start going over the car and sure enough, issues all over the place.

The inside areas of the trunk and hood having missing paint areas.
Both doors at the lower body line of the door have strips of equal length on both sides.
The area where the body meets the rear trunk on both sides has places.
The inside of the door cups on both sides.
The seam on the roof line, the full length of the roof has the same thing.
There as.re scratches on the left side of the hood, some very long and some med length as well as swirl marks.
There are scratches on the left front area of the fender that are small to med size scratches.
And this could be my mind but I swear the bumper is a different shade than the metal on the body.

This is what we have found so far. I am no body or paint expert but the best way I can describe it as an orange or goldish discoloration in multiple areas with the same or close to the same length, width etc.

The inside areas of the hood and trunk, you know I get that is not seen nor supposed to be super presentable but here is my issue. Some areas look like they were painted and others there is nothing - this leads me to believe that the entire surface area was SUPPOSED to be painted but mr robot and his friends had a really bad day and my wifes 49k new car got the shit end of the stick.

So I worked from home so I could continue trying to figure out what all is wrong with the brand new car, contact the dealer we bought it from, etc.

I spoke to the dealer it was bought from who requested pictures. I went above and beyond providing detailed explanations of what they are seeing in the pictures and sent multiple 7-10mb pics in the highest resolution I could use so they could see what I am seeing as they are 2.5 hours away. The first call was "we will make it right, it's covered, no worries" with a mention of a staff member driving 2.5 hours and dropping my wife off a loaner and taking her brand new car back 2.5 hours adding miles to it down and back to work on the issue. I said that was fine. A thinking person would have realized how upset the consumer is their new car has issues one day into the purchase would have offered a solution like sending a rollback and have the dealership direct bill our local Enterprise for a rental for a few days as not to run up the miles on her brand new car. But I am open to someone working the problem so I said that was fine.

Second call from from the GM of the dealership, who I assume took one look at the pictures, went oh hell no and washed his hands of the situation. He said to call my local dealer (they are horrendous btw) and if I had an issue have them call him. Excellent service after the sale. Really, top notch work... My wife said she REALLY hopes GM sends her a survey among some other choice words. So I take his information down and the call ends.

From there I stop and take a breath before the vein in my head erupts into a life ending heart attack. I find the number for a large dealer 20 min away and call their paint and body department and ask for their manager. The person I spoke with immediately asks why the dealer she bought the car from isn't dealing with this. Shocking, I know. I explain the story and she says she has no idea what to do but she gives me the "warranty guy's" name and number. I call and leave him a vm and he calls me back a short time later.

I explain to him, with an apology for even calling and dumping this problem in his lap and ask him for some guidance with the situation. He seemed like a very pleasant guy but I could tell he was choosing his words very carefully as I am sure he realized half way into my story what a crap show this is. He explains the paint is under warranty etc which is fine but upon telling him about the areas of the scratches he pulls back and says it sounds like the dealership did that to the car. Which is very well possible. Yesterday we told them we didn't need it washed but they did it anyway leaving a residue of large white water spots all over the car and a massive amount under the hood as well. I picture some 17 year old squirting a metric ton of dawn dish soap in a dirty buck that is also home to the shops mop for cleaning the floor at the end of the day then rinsing the car with water from a nearby river. I digress.

So we agree I need to get him some pictures of what I am talking about so I have sent those off to him. He stated he is traveling to a meeting tomorrow and an area manager will be there, he said he would look at the pictures and show them to that person as well. I am supposed to hear back from him by Thursday afternoon sometime.

I spoke with my wife, who on top of having to travel last minute for work had an awful day and gave her the great news that "service after the sale" from the dealership must have a 12 hr time limit. The first thing she said was sell the damn car, I want it gone by the time I get home Saturday night. There is a lesson in this GM if you are reading - maybe you need to take a hard look at your customer service training with your franchises. Is this the message you want floating around cyber space for the ages??

So that is where we are at, less than 24 hours into the ownership of a 2016 car and already getting the run around. I will say this - we have had first year model or complete redesigns from lexus, toyota, subaru, bmw and mercedes. All of them had one or two issues and not only were they promptly addressed but NONE, not a single damn one of those dealers said anything remotely like "go find another dealer" It is a beyond a piss poor business model to make a customer who just purchased a car of ANY price feel like the entire process was a nothing more than give us your money now ____ off.

I will update the pictures when I can as well as any other info I receive along the way.

Last edited by Netslave; 03-01-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Update #1
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
Wow, that is one bad ass paint job. Looks the robot ran out of paint or was not programmed correctly. I would return this car and get a new one, They have to repaint the whole car. This is just unacceptable. Sorry to hear that.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
Illmaticz

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Saw the pictures and that's tough man, hopefully they can fix this for you.
Illmaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
suzook

Drives: camaro
How the F is this getting through QC???? Chevy is dropping the ball at this new plant. People need to be FIRED!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
BrandX
Camaro Again?

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
WTF!!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
OMG...that is horrible! What is going on?

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
That should be a buy back. Wow! How are these cars leaving the factory like this? That color should be discontinued if they don't have the ability to paint a car correctly when using it. What is this the fourth one on this site alone already?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
So this makes three months of production affected now...at least. Mine was built in October and yours in the middle of January. The worst part of this is that yours is even worse than mine.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
Where is laborsmith to chime in?
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #10
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
No way I would have taken delivery of that car.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Wow, that is one bad ass paint job. Looks the robot ran out of paint or was not programmed correctly. I would return this car and get a new one, They have to repaint the whole car. This is just unacceptable. Sorry to hear that.
Wish it was that simple. The dealer said eff off. I mean that's not a direct quote but I am not sure how else to take "find a local dealer and if they need to talk to me (says the GM of the dealership that sold the car) just have them call" Leaving my wife with the question of WTF good would that do??? They are going to call him and he is going to say what "yeah we sold the car but we just don't want to deal with a defective $49,000 car so we are going to pass the buck to your dealership"

And unacceptable is an understatement. We traded in a perfect condition 2015 4runner with all the toys on it with under 14k miles on it with 9k in positive equity. I've been making double or triple payments on it to pay it off with her knowing. I knew she wanted to get back into a sports car but I didn't know it would be this soon. Plus I gave her another 6k so we would have around 15k down going into the deal and I was going to get it tinted/coated and clear bra'd. I wanted to surprise her because a year ago she ordered me a custom jeep for my 40th birthday as a thank you. I traded in my prized jeep years ago so she could get a car with better mpg. So I wanted to surprise her back with a big chunk of her new car being paid off from the start. She is an outstanding wife that has stuck thru thick and thin with me and I just wanted to do something special for her.

Now I have a partial painted, scratched up car with under 200 miles that the dealer wants no part of, that my supremely pissed off wife wants nothing to do with and I keep listening to the sound of all my hard work and the positive equity in the garage fly away into the night. Thanks General Motors!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
You don't see it in daylight unless the sun shines directly on one of the spots. I checked all the exterior paint on mine at the dealership. Didn't see anything except all the normal scratches from the dealership washing the car. Put it in a garage and hit it with an LED light, or have the sun shine directly on one of those spots then you see them
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #13
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netslave View Post
Wish it was that simple. The dealer said eff off. I mean that's not a direct quote but I am not sure how else to take "find a local dealer and if they need to talk to me (says the GM of the dealership that sold the car) just have them call" Leaving my wife with the question of WTF good would that do??? They are going to call him and he is going to say what "yeah we sold the car but we just don't want to deal with a defective $49,000 car so we are going to pass the buck to your dealership"

And unacceptable is an understatement. We traded in a perfect condition 2015 4runner with all the toys on it with under 14k miles on it with 9k in positive equity. I've been making double or triple payments on it to pay it off with her knowing. I knew she wanted to get back into a sports car but I didn't know it would be this soon. Plus I gave her another 6k so we would have around 15k down going into the deal and I was going to get it tinted/coated and clear bra'd. I wanted to surprise her because a year ago she ordered me a custom jeep for my 40th birthday as a thank you. I traded in my prized jeep years ago so she could get a car with better mpg. So I wanted to surprise her back with a big chunk of her new car being paid off from the start. She is an outstanding wife that has stuck thru thick and thin with me and I just wanted to do something special for her.

Now I have a partial painted, scratched up car with under 200 miles that the dealer wants no part of, that my supremely pissed off wife wants nothing to do with and I keep listening to the sound of all my hard work and the positive equity in the garage fly away into the night. Thanks General Motors!
I would get a lawyer and also that paint job is under warranty. Overall did you not see any of this before taking delivery? It seems hard to believe you wouldn't have pointed out a lot of this. I know I did and my dealer vowed to make it right.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
Couldn't tell any of this was wrong. The weather here has been shit, it was over cast with some sun and the car was pretty dirty. Then even after they were told to not wash it the salesman sent it to the back of the dealership for "a quick wash" which from the picture below you can see some mensa member used a gas station squeegee, some great value dish soap and a scotch brite pad to dry the car. It wasn't until the car was rinsed off and under bright light at a professional detail shop could the defects be seen. Maybe you were gifted with a method for seeing thru birdshit, road debris and 1.5 million hard water spots but I was not.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Y3...TYg=w1399-h689