Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
zachking100

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 1LT
Thumbs up Exhaust Upgrade

Hey guys just wanted a little advice on what to do with my exhaust. I want the exhaust to be louder but I don't know what else I can do. I have a magnaflow axleback system along with a resonator delete, and a magnaflow x pipe. One of my friends suggested a mid-exhaust delete is that an actual thing? And is there any other way to get the loudness, and the rumble out of the car without straight piping. It is a 2014 1LT convertible.

Thanks,
Zachy
zachking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
About the only thing you can do at this point is to go with a different muffler or a muffler delete. Maybe a glass pack or delete if you want is really loud.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
You could also install electric cutouts n headers
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
zachking100

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
You could also install electric cutouts n headers
What are those exactly it's a 2014 so there really isn't that much out there yet? Which is another one of my problems haha.
zachking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Zack do you currently have our street axle back? If you would like to make you exhaust louder, we would recommend upgrading headers (Long tube will give the most volume), or you could find a buyer for your current axle back, and swap to our Race series one, which has no mufflers.
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna_Flow View Post
Zack do you currently have our street axle back? If you would like to make you exhaust louder, we would recommend upgrading headers (Long tube will give the most volume), or you could find a buyer for your current axle back, and swap to our Race series one, which has no mufflers.
The LFX engine can't change headers.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Aaron0731

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Why not recommend magma packs? They're awesome
Aaron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
tmaleck

Drives: Replacement 2SS 'Vert 67 Cutlass
Quote:
I had the Magnalfow cat back on my '14 convertible. I really liked it. Nice tone under acceleration, but quiet enough to talk over on the highway. It also fit nicely and cleared the special convertible bracing.

Tim
tmaleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #9
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachking100 View Post
Hey guys just wanted a little advice on what to do with my exhaust. I want the exhaust to be louder but I don't know what else I can do. I have a magnaflow axleback system along with a resonator delete, and a magnaflow x pipe. One of my friends suggested a mid-exhaust delete is that an actual thing? And is there any other way to get the loudness, and the rumble out of the car without straight piping. It is a 2014 1LT convertible.

Thanks,
Zachy
Probably talking about the mid-pipes... or for our cars - the cats. You have two large cats on each side that can be replaced with either High Flow Cats, or go Catless - what some call 'Off Road' pipes (usually illegal).

I installed my shorty headers (California CARB approved) prior to installing my JBA HFC's. The tone and power increase was very noticeable with the HFC's installed. I couldn't believe it. The tone note improved to a very clear, deep rumble with my catback Flowmasters. A huge gain in my book.

I say try that - get some HFC's, not too expensive and see how you like them. If you're in a state where Long Tubes are legal, go that route - then get some HFC's to go with them. In some states you can even go straight to Catless mid-pipes.

Lots of good advice on this forum on the type and quality of headers and HFC's out there. I suggest checking out some videos of some good sounding Camaro's and reading up on headers/hfc's.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #10
ZachU

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I just installed the competition axle back with a stainless X pipe a week ago and it's awesome. Part number 15093. I think it's different for a convertible but I love it so far. The Magnaflow rep is right find a buyer for your axle back and get the one with no mufflers or go with long tubes.....or do both lol.
ZachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
I agree with Sanjay^^ Delete everything from the cats back. Add magnaflow resonated xpipe where the stock resonators were.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
...we would recommend upgrading headers (Long tube will give the most volume)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginHawk View Post
The LFX engine can't change headers.
^^^ THIS ^^^ (The exhaust headers are actually integrated into the engine block)
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
I got a used pair of mufflers from someone on this forum that had an SS and had upgraded to an aftermarket muffler set. I got it for $150 including shipping and paid $60 to have them installed. The sound is great, louder than the OEM, but not a roar, with a nice deep rumble to it. It was a lot cheaper than an aftermarket system and gives a really nice sound. Of course, the trick is to find someone that has an SS set to sell for a reasonable price. Still, it is something worth considering.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I would look into adding a set of high flow cats. They will add some horsepower and volume. Win win
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote