Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Best Wash and Wax ?

What do you guys recommend for a quick Wash and Wax? Few good options, looking for one that creates the longest protection.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Carpro Hydrofoam. Available @ Carpro USA

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Carpro Hydrofoam. Available @ Carpro USA

Shit, I need a foam gun for that! lol.. Says to do it in sections when you do it out of a bucket. Easy process?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Extemely easy, a foam gun or foam lance can be used, but it can also be done just by mixing it 9 parts water to 1 part Hydrofoam. Put it in a spray bottle, shake well and fully saturate the panel your working on.

If you want a foam gun, the Gilmour Bunny K foamaster is only $27 on Amazon, it's just as good as the one's that are sold for $50-$100.

Hydrofoam has excellent lubricity, immediately bonds to paint when rinsed, and provides at least 3 months of protection on your paint.

This product sheets water like nothing you've ever seen.

I almost forgot, use code 15off for a 15% discount. If you have any questions about it, call Corey Carruth @ Carpro USA. He's an excellent professional detailer, as well as an honest person. He has never tried to sell me anything, just makes recommendation based upon experience. The same thing I'm trying to do for you here. I don't know of a wash/protect product that has longer durability, maybe Glen does?

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 05-08-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Im a carpro guy in all respects, Corey has always been very helpful. I only hose wash occasionally.

I like the following:

Carpro Reset
meguires gold class shampoo (best you can get locally)
Ultima shampoo
Blackfire shampoo
Chem guys Maxi suds (good for foam guns)
Chem guys citrus wash (for stripping)
Dawn ( for stripping)

Meguires has a good wash and wax that friends like, but i have never tried it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

I should add this is not a weekly maintenance soap, it's not meant to take the place of your normal 2 bucket or rinseless washing. It's a quick, easy, and safe way to add protection to your paint while you wash.

You can also use the Blackfire Crystal seal that Glen recommends, right after you wash/dry the car with your normal wash process.

It's also super easy to use and is very safe because it requires no buffing.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-crystal-seal.html

As with any sealant your applying to the paint, always check the surface with a "baggie test" after you have washed. Clay or clay alternative, I prefer the latter, to remove any bonded contaminates that will prevent your sealant from adhering to the paint.

I also like to do a wipe down with Carpro Eraser before applying a sealant, just to remove any oils from my hands that may have touched the paint from me flipping the drying towel, or any clay lube residue left on the surface, ensuring the best possible surface for the sealant to bond to. You can also use IPA 10-20% (isopropyl Alcohol) to do the same thing. It's not always absolutely necessary, but I'm OCD when it comes to paint.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 05-08-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
samsumon

See this is where I'm getting confused with all the options.. Right now my process is

Clean the car with a wash and wax (which I'm guessing would be what I replace if I buy this product, correct?

Then every month or so, clean my car and apply
Black fire total polish and seal

Then 2 coats of black fire crystal seal

I'm over thinking this, but where would this product come into place? Is this the every weekend wash soap I can use? I followed Glen's guide to the T, but now I'm getting a bit overwhelmed.

THANKS!

Last thing. When you say 9parts waste 1 part product...HOw much is "1 part"? Stupid question. Sorry
Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #8
Glen e

You only use total polish and seal once a year.
You maybe use Crystal seal you once every 3-6 months
You wash and wax maintenance wise as many times as you need it.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
You only use total polish and seal once a year.
You maybe use Crystal seal you once every 3-6 months
You wash and wax maintenance wise as many times as you need it.
So would this product be my weekly washing product?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
So would this product be my weekly washing product?

Any product I listed above or rinseless is once a week or whenever
Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Any product I listed above or rinseless is once a week or whenever
Given our lovely SR84 and alligator alley, my front end looks like it went through a massacre on a weekly basis.. Your rinse less does look promising, but I can't help but think of the rag getting destroyed within a few swipes due to all the bugs and grime... You still suggest rinse less ??

One last thing, when ding rinse less, you wipe the car down with a drying towel right after, or do you wash the car soap off with a clean wet towel first, then a drying towel.. I've read your guide, just not too understanding of the final steps.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
Glen e

If you have bugs it's best not to use rinseless . Rinseless for a car that is just generally dirty from the week and doesn't have any massive dirt on it. I would use a hose to get rid of bugs. Once the rinseless is put on you wipe it off with a waffle weave towel, that's it.

I'm not sure why you see this is so difficult. over 500 people have read my two rinseless docs and I never get a real questions. Just read them again slowly, and don't overthink it.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #13
Joe M 2012 2SS

If your already using the Blackfire Polish and seal, along with a coating of Blackfire Crystal Seal, you have adequate protection on your paint. The Hydrofoam isn't needed.

But to answer your question, (there is no such thing as a dumb question) when using products that you dilute like Hydrofoam, they give you a recommended dilution ratio.

For Hydrofoam, it's 9 parts water for every 1 part of Hydrofoam.

So for every 9 ounces of water, you use 1 ounce of Hydrofoam. So if you have a 20 oz bottle you would add 18 oz of water and 2 oz of Hydrofoam.

But you really don't need any additional protection on your paint based on what your already using.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #14
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I have this, I don't do bucker/hose washes anymore, but this works real well, good stuff!
Attached Images

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote